Hormone Imbalance messing with my life

Options
NaughtybuttNice
NaughtybuttNice Posts: 39 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm really struggling right now. I have some doctor appointments to figure out what is going on with me. I went into menopause earlier than most. My hormone levels at that time were bouncing in and out of menopause which was very odd.. Cause you are either in menopause or you aren't right? I was having some irregular thickening of my uterus that was causing concern on a possible pre-cancer level. At that time a few years ago they decided an IUD would keep my uterus healthy. I had been a long time sufferer of endometryosis and in my 20's was told it was so bad I should have a hysterectomy. I didn't and put up with the pain. Which if anyone has this...knows its very difficult to deal with and live your life. This past year I have been noticing that when a situation arose in my life that I should be able to think through and deal with rationally... I couldn't and got over emotional. Those situations would make someone emotional, but in my case I got over emotional. These emotions just destroyed a relationship that I was happy to be in and happy to see it through. My inability to cope with my emotions led to a horrible breakup. My doctor doesn't want to remove my IUD for it's medical purpose of helping my uterus. However, the emotions that these levels are putting me through do not allow me to deal with situations I normally could deal with. Menopause is not an easy time for women and emotions. I'm not sure what to do. I haven't told my ex relationship partner that my emotions were due to a medical issue. At this point he has blocked me and won't even talk to me, caz I got so emotional. go figure... Blood tests have shown I'm in menopause than I have results that look like I'm not. Now that my relationship is over it is just adding to my emotional roller coaster. I don't know if I should pull this IUD and see if my emotions get better under wraps at the risk of having an unhealthy uterus. The IUD was never for birth control only to keep my uterus healthy. I wish I could have the support of my old relationship through this as I decide the choices I should make. I'm in a sad situation that was caused by my imbalance and now dealing with it affecting my life in this negative way...just has escalated everything. I have read many horror stories of iud's messing with women as well as the emotions in menopause. I don't feel like myself and that sucks caz my relationship ended before it almost began caz of these emotions. IDK what I'm looking for here. Maybe some other woman that can relate to this situation and hopefully it didn't destroy your relationship like mine.. That is the hardest part for me to deal with. Knowing this medical issue out of my control made me act in ways that were not rational.

Replies

• NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    You are correct and my doctor knows that getting accurate readings while the IUD is in is impossible. My sisters had a terrible time with menopause and emotions. The light has gone on that guess what....I'm there and looking back I can see the issue. In regard to the relationship, I didn't realize till recently what was going on with my emotions and that I wasn't reacting in a normal capacity. Prior to the IUD my hormone levels were not normal. I m pretty good at knowing my own body. I know something isn't right. I just unfortunately noticed too late..
    Thanks for your insight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I guess just keep talking to doctors about what is going on and different options for managing.
    Is a hysterctomy vs an IUD the only choices or ars there other things to try?

Talk to the people in your life about what you are struggling with. Maybe talk to a counselor/therapist or an endometryosis support group to talk about what you are going through.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ohhh ... I'm sorry.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your struggles. My hormones have been completely out of whack lately despite being on birth control which is supposed to help keep them in check. My emotions and body are a mess, it is such an awful feeling to not feel at all like yourself but be unable to do anything about it.

Is a endometrial ablation a possibility for you? They basically remove the lining of your uterus. I have discussed it with my doctor but have yet to pull the trigger. I am not sure with your thickening if it is a possibility but if it isn't anything you have discussed with your doctor yet it might be worth considering getting more info on.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    omgoodness...what a time you are/have been having. are you on a hormonal iud? would a copper IUD (no hormones) serve the same purpose? Periguard is the most common copper iud.
    good luck and best wishes to you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling right now. I have some doctor appointments to figure out what is going on with me. I went into menopause earlier than most. My hormone levels at that time were bouncing in and out of menopause which was very odd.. Cause you are either in menopause or you aren't right? I was having some irregular thickening of my uterus that was causing concern on a possible pre-cancer level. At that time a few years ago they decided an IUD would keep my uterus healthy. ...
    Blood tests have shown I'm in menopause than I have results that look like I'm not.

First, it's normal for blood tests to show that you're in perimenopause and then not. The blood tests that check that sort of thing are not reliable and since your hormone levels are all over the place, it would be really hard for one blood test to match another. My doctor and gynaecologists won't bother with a blood test for me, they just listened to my symptoms and told me I am in perimenopause.

Second, I also have the irregular thickening of my uterus lining + polyps + pre-cancer. I was given the choice of using an IUD or simply going for ultrasounds every 6 months. I've opted for the ultrasounds. And I've had two surgeries related to this in the last 2.5 years. That was the route I opted to go.

Third, I also went through a very emotional year due to perimenopause. And I cannot take any hormones to calm things down because of another medical issue ... so I started looking into "natural" solutions, and either I found some things that works fairly well, or I've passed through the emotional part because things have been quite settled for some time now.

Talk to your doctor. Get in to see a good gynaecologist. Discuss your options.

• NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    Thx all the sad part is I know I can fix the hormone part. The relationship part is done. the more I try to explain and fix that. the more crazy I look. which of course just upsets me considering the hormones raging in me at the moment. I have had a lot of women tell me the IUD messed up their emotions big time. I'd rather have a normal emotion level than a healthy uterus at this point. My ex dating partner I'm sure thinks I'm insane. Hurts and I keep reaching out to him and it just makes it worse. Funny how you can make yourself look crazy...it hurts he won't work through this with me and won't talk and just moved on. even this morning my emotions got the better of me and I sent him a message. I had a female minister once that told me when she went through menopause she completely changed. Her personality turned angry and she totally understands how many relationships fail during this transition. The IUD I think is the problem. My decision since levels are all over and can't really be regulated with this thing in me is to I think remove it. As much as my doctor wants it in for my health. I just lost someone I care about over this. I'm in a spiral here of trying to fix a relationship while my emotions are *kitten* up that the other party doesn't want to fix. They have labeled me I'm sure crazy *kitten*. I really would have loved for him to say I understand and we will get through this. but nope he walked..
  • NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    karen8787 wrote: »
    omgoodness...what a time you are/have been having. are you on a hormonal iud? would a copper IUD (no hormones) serve the same purpose? Periguard is the most common copper iud.
    good luck and best wishes to you

yes it is a hormonal iud. my levels are way out of line, which is why there is a problem. when I went and noticed I was reacting to emotions in not a rational way, kinda ... like I was in extreme pms mode... I knew I was in trouble. blood work really is pointless but it is showing that things are not in normal range. I'm wondering at this point if the stupid thing is even working properly... considering the levels that are showing that are soooo out of wack.. I am to followup in a few weeks... and more tests, discussions and decisions by my doctor. Yes a hysterectomy was discussed and my doctor thought possibly if the iud could get me through a few years I wouldn't need one.
  • ILuvLifehouse
    ILuvLifehouse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have suffered for 2 years with heavy, painful, and long periods(6+ weeks). I was in a very dark place with depression, emotions weight gain, etc. My doc put me on Progesterone and within a month I was finally feeling like myself again. I had an endometrial ablation at the end of 2017 and I feel wonderful and also losing weight. I hope you get relief soon and I'm sorry you have to go through this stuff. I will be praying for you.
  • NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    I have suffered for 2 years with heavy, painful, and long periods(6+ weeks). I was in a very dark place with depression, emotions weight gain, etc. My doc put me on Progesterone and within a month I was finally feeling like myself again. I had an endometrial ablation at the end of 2017 and I feel wonderful and also losing weight. I hope you get relief soon and I'm sorry you have to go through this stuff. I will be praying for you.

Ty, that is very kind of you to put me in your prayers. I really appreciate that kindness you have extended to me. It really does feel like pms overload. I finally was with someone I wanted and this had to of course ruin it. After our breakup I knew something was wrong with me in how I handled a situation. Not normal for me or rational. I'm focusing on the demise of this relationship I wanted so badly. Obviously rational says you can't fix what someone else doesn't want to. Yet my dumbass keeps trying looking desperate and needy and crazy. Sucks caz I have a sensitive heart and want to reach out and fix and make him understand. But the more I've tried the more crazy I look. yay me...
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’ve had thickening of the lining too and my gynaecologist has had concerns about pre-cancerous changes. My hormones are also not balanced- I’ve been put on progesterone to help with this, and to help with the bleeding, or else I just bleed constantly- record was 5 and a half months, with two hospital admissions because it got so bad!
    I don’t have endometriosis, but I do have PCOS. My gynaecologist would have liked to put in an IUD or burn the uterine lining, but I still want to have another baby before time runs out- so for me, we’re trying the progesterone for a few months to see if it helps sort everything out! And I’m losing weight to help too.....

I’m sorry things have been so tough for you. I’d suggest talking to a counsellor or similar to help with the emotions- it sounds like they’re a large part of the battle.

I hope things improve soon xx

(Edit to fix errors)
  • NaughtybuttNice
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’ve had thickening of the lining too and my gynaecologist has had concerns about pre-cancerous changes. My hormones are also not balanced- I’ve been put on progesterone to help with this, and to help with the bleeding, or else I just bleed constantly- record was 5 and a half months, with two hospital admissions because it got so bad!
    I don’t have endometriosis, but I do have PCOS. My gynaecologist would have liked to put in an IUD or burn the uterine lining, but I still want to have another baby before time runs out- so for me, we’re trying the progesterone for a few months to see if it helps sort everything out! And I’m losing weight to help too.....

I’m sorry things have been so tough for you. I’d suggest talking to a counsellor or similar to help with the emotions- it sounds like they’re a large part of the battle.

I hope things improve soon xx

(Edit to fix errors)

Thx. It is looking more like this was a mistake, my fluctuations with it in are just really, really bad
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hope you get relief from your symptoms. You deserve it. Don't settle with the doctors until you get resolution.

You will have to reconcile yourself to the idea that there's a person walking around that thinks you are off the wall, and is NOT available to hear your explanation. It's done.

After healing, you can start looking for another partner.

Frankly, I don't know how my hubby puts up with my symptoms (not nearly as drastic as yours). I think he pats my back a lot and agrees that everything is his fault. He's known me to be in pari-menopause, menopause, as long as we've been together (15 years). I keep promising that they should subside any year now....
  • NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    I just spent a long time reading up on my particular IUD. I see in the forums it was linked to many women saying they acted like "crazy *kitten*". broken relationships, lost jobs. It was a story on CNN even. Their stories and symptoms similar to mine at the moment. I'm pretty sure after reading the similarities these women felt with this iud and how it almost was toxic to their body... feels very similar to what i'm feeling. this thing has to go
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I had a female minister once that told me when she went through menopause she completely changed. Her personality turned angry and she totally understands how many relationships fail during this transition. The IUD I think is the problem. My decision since levels are all over and can't really be regulated with this thing in me is to I think remove it. As much as my doctor wants it in for my health. I just lost someone I care about over this. I'm in a spiral here of trying to fix a relationship while my emotions are *kitten* up that the other party doesn't want to fix. They have labeled me I'm sure crazy *kitten*. I really would have loved for him to say I understand and we will get through this. but nope he walked..

As I mentioned earlier, I went through a "completely nuts" year or so during perimenopause without an IUD. From what I understand, that sort of thing is a somewhat normal part of perimenopause.

As I mentioned earlier, I eventually discovered some things that did seem to help.

For example, are you taking Evening Primrose Oil? That was one that seemed to help settle things a little. Do some research. Talk to your doctor.

But whatever you do ... don't make any serious decisions right now. See if you can talk to someone ... some sort of counsellor or similar. Research perimenopause and some solutions to get you through. Put some of your frustration into exercise ... or other hobbies. But exercise works really well as stress relief for me.

And maybe you might find something helpful in the Perimenopause Thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1

• NaughtybuttNice
    Options
    Yes my doctor actually called me at home this morning. He just got back from March break. He told me the iud I have has been known to cause extreme swings in some women. I will know more after my visit. He was very reassuring that he could get to the bottom of it and I wasn’t going insane.
  • mrskleinxoxo
    mrskleinxoxo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on Mirena IUD for four years and took it out because my face broke out in cistic acne. Mind you I have only ever had one or two zits here and there during that time of month. Also had horrible mood changes etc. So I took it out and for the last 4 years I never knew what was wrong with me until about 3 weeks ago. I have had a hormonal imbalance ever since I removed the device. Just now figuring it out over years of suffering with rapid weight gain for no reason (and have never gained before), hair loss, anxiety to the extreme, depression you name it. Now I’m trying to lose this extra 20-30 lbs I gained in less than a year of removal and has stuck on me. Hope you figured your stuff out, just thought I’d share my experience with the IUD.