Kcal?!?!?

Options
I have never heard of kcal, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how would I convert 63kcal to calories burned? I just did an exercise but it only gave me kcal not calories so I don't know how to put it in on here.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much 1-to-1 I *think*.
  • CinnyAnn78
    CinnyAnn78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Thanks yall
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 has a really detailed post about calories here

From that post...
    [T]he energy production of foods are quite large when measured in calories and are in the range of thousands of calories. As such food calories are actually kilocalories (1 food calorie is 1000 calories). So 4000 calories is 4 kilocalories which is 4 food calories

Well worth a read, I learned a lot!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

From that post...
    [T]he energy production of foods are quite large when measured in calories and are in the range of thousands of calories. As such food calories are actually kilocalories (1 food calorie is 1000 calories). So 4000 calories is 4 kilocalories which is 4 food calories

Always nice to hear someone got something out of it....thanks.

And yes, 1 kcal is 1 Calorie. I can only assume people didn't like saying kilocalories (probably people who use imperial rather than metric) so they just capitalized Calorie and used that instead. Of course the vast majority of people who saw Calorie capitalized in the middle of a sentence would think it was a typo so pretty much everyone just says calories. Of course then 1 kilocalorie is 1 calorie which sound dumb but yeah. It would be like if people started calling kilometers Meters but then dropped the capitalization and just called them meters. It is kind of stupid.

1 calorie (as in 1/1000th of a Calorie) is a unit of energy defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram or 1 mL of water from room temp by 1 degree celsius. When applied to food though a bite of a sandwich would contain something like 20,000 calories so for food they use kilocalories so it is a more reasonable number (ie 20 kcal in that example) but just call it Calories I guess because kilocalorie sounds scary or something idk.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    Options
    Though if that quote was correct it should be "4 food Calories" with a Capital C in Cal by convention to indicate kcal :lol:
  • Aaron_K123
    edited March 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Though if that quote was correct it should be "4 food Calories" with a Capital C in Cal by convention to indicate kcal :lol:

Yeah but no one actually follows that convention so at some point if you can't beat em...just join em.

To be honest it's an idiotic convention anyways....I mean what do you do for example if you want to talk about a calorie (1/1000th of a kcal) but it is the first word in your sentence? Do you capitalize it?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    Options
    <hauty sniff> well *I* TRY to follow the convention :blush:

No danger of confusion because the confusion is when you're labeling a number so it would always follow that number.

Presumably if you thought there might exist a misunderstanding and you wanted to talk about calories but had to capitalise them you could explain!

I started capitalising them the first time I was staring at my screen wide eyed wanting to convert kilojoules to kilocals and I had no idea how to do the conversion and what that meant in relationship to the Calories I used everyday! :lol:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

From that post...

And yes, 1 kcal is 1 Calorie. I can only assume people didn't like saying kilocalories (probably people who use imperial rather than metric) so they just capitalized Calorie and used that instead. Of course the vast majority of people who saw Calorie capitalized in the middle of a sentence would think it was a typo so pretty much everyone just says calories. Of course then 1 kilocalorie is 1 calorie which sound dumb but yeah. It would be like if people started calling kilometers Meters but then dropped the capitalization and just called them meters. It is kind of stupid.

1 calorie (as in 1/1000th of a Calorie) is a unit of energy defined as the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram or 1 mL of water from room temp by 1 degree celsius. When applied to food though a bite of a sandwich would contain something like 20,000 calories so for food they use kilocalories so it is a more reasonable number (ie 20 kcal in that example) but just call it Calories I guess because kilocalorie sounds scary or something idk.
    I don't understand the convention of capitalizing, but we make abbreviations for everything, because it's easier - "kilo" and "kg" are both short for "kilogram".
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

From that post...

I don't understand the convention of capitalizing, but we make abbreviations for everything, because it's easier - "kilo" and "kg" are both short for "kilogram".

Yeah but they both contain the "k". For abbreviation of kilocalorie kcal makes sense, could see kc....but just calling it Calories is confusing.

Thing is the vast majority of people only use calories in reference to food and it makes sense to think in kcal then. Since the only application uses kcal then people just started calling that calories. Like I said it's exactly like if we only thought in terms of kilometers or kilograms and practically never used meters or grams and therefor just decided to call kilograms Grams and kilometers Meters but then after a while just dropped the caps and called them grams and meters.