I need the sobering truth about alcohol

Options

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds without giving up alcohol. Like you, I cut back and keep it to 1-2 nights a week. There are times when I have more. I also started making sure there were no late night snacks after drinking. That proved easier than I thought it would be for me and I am sure helped quite a bit. Like others have mentioned, just make sure you log the calories.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I don't do more than 3-4 drinks per week, usually less. I just can't fit it in. I also have a very hard time controlling the food side of things when I'm tipsy. I haven't cut alcohol completely, but I did have to learn some tricks to cut back. Pre-logging before parties and happy hours - the food and the drinks - has helped a lot. Having a go-to lighter calorie drink helps as well, and saving fancy cocktails or high-alcohol beers for special occasions keeps the calories in check too.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's totally doable while drinking alcohol. I went from 160lbs to 120lbs without changing my drinking at all (it was definitely food that was my main issue) Although my drinking is usually contained to just Friday and Saturday nights (often quite a bit on saturdays). As long as you can stay within your calories, or not go over too much, everything should still go as planned.

There was one month where I decided not to drink to see if it made a difference and I lost a couple pounds extra, but i think that was mostly because it also cut out my hungover eating habits. I almost always went over maintenance on Sundays
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    So I love my wine and it has definitely hindered me at points. I cut it out of my diet with the exception of parties, nice dinners ect...so just once a week or less. My problem with alcohol (and probably lots of people's issue) is that I'll do great and measure one serving at home and then eyeball the rest, or not measure at all when I am out. One glass becomes two, then two becomes three or four (losing count at this point because I'm having fun)! Then I need to eat so I'm not falling over. Then I don't care about logging or I'm too buzzed to focus haha.
    I don't drink or socialize enough for one of these nights to add up, so it's ok for me. If it were a regular occurrence it would totally impact my goals. And worth noting that I usually know when I'm gonna drink and plan ahead. Bank calories, extra work out, low calorie foods that day.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's harder to accurately measure your calories when drinking in a bar. Bar glasses are not consistent sizes, and you may be consuming more than you think.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My problem with alcohol (and probably lots of people's issue) is that I'll do great and measure one serving at home and then eyeball the rest, or not measure at all when I am out.

Easy to fix; just take the whole damn bottle. lol. >:)

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Log the alcohol, log anything you eat while drinking... if you're hitting your goal and are in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight

I'll second this. If you like the alcohol simply log it, stay under your calorie goal and live your life and lose weight while doing it. Calories matter, nothing else, unless of course it helps you meet your calorie goal, matters.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    But, to be fair, we need to point out that you can't fill your diet with alcohol calories. We are talking about having a balanced diet overall that has room for some drinks.

I was waiting for someone to come in and spout how having nothing but alcohol is bad for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose as much weight as you wanted because you consumed too many calories, that's all. My guess is that you're eating more than you think and need to adjust your calorie intake down (which may or may not leave room for alcohol afterwards).

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Only thing to bear in mind is that if you have 2 drinks a night that could easily be 500 calories and so an extra pound a week you could be losing just by cutting it out.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea - an experiment, really. Don't drink for a month. Continue to log your calories. Then see what your data tell you.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You don’t need us to tell you, you already know.

But just in case @Maxxitt has a great idea. Give it a try
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    How slow is your weight loss? I drank just about every night while I was losing weight and I lost as expected. That said, I was meticulous with my measuring (of alcohol and everything else).

Same. I lost at exactly the expected rate for my CICO ratio and drank my beers and bourbon most nights.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    alcohol has calories but no nutrition and its influence causes most people to overeat.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I'm 23. I went to a party school. I like my beer. In fact I like my shot + beer. I've lost some weight in 2018 but its so slooooow. My gut tells me its because I haven't completely cut out alcohol. I went from 3-4 drinks a night to 1-2 drinks 3-4 nights a week. I want the blunt truth, is it probably hindering my success? I count calories in the app up until night time when i have a drink, however there's always room left in my caloric intake for the alcohol. My frustration could just be psychological. 2.5 months eating clean and I swear its not sugar that beckons me, its not salt, its not that juicy cheeseburger. It's alcohol.
    Anyone go through this? Happy Friday!!

1-2 drinks 3-4 nights a week is fine. That's drinking in moderation.

If you're within your calorie limit for the week, this also won't hinder your weight loss at all.

You're doing really well.

Here, I found this very funny, and I hope it makes you laugh.

https://www.facebook.com/thedailymash/videos/1429000623875768/
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Here's an idea - an experiment, really. Don't drink for a month. Continue to log your calories. Then see what your data tell you.

I wished. Aren't we on the St.Patrick's day, or something? >:)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    It's harder to accurately measure your calories when drinking in a bar. Bar glasses are not consistent sizes, and you may be consuming more than you think.

Arent they??

They certainly are here - on tap beer comes in exact known consistent glass sizes, or in cans or bottles with amount clearly stated or shots are measured in shot measure.
    Legal requirement.

• hezaa777
    hezaa777 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Alcohol always hinders success, IMO. You asked for "Sobering Advice." According to the CDC:

"Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.1,2 Further, excessive drinking was responsible for 1 in 10 deaths among working-age adults aged 20-64 years. The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2010 were estimated at $249 billion, or $2.05 a drink."

Giving it up isn't that difficult. You never have a hangover again - or guilt from overdrinking, wasting money, making impaired decisions, etc. You think clearer. Life is better.