How to handle my chocolate addiction

Options

Replies

• xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    check out walden farms their chocolate spread is 0 calories as is their chocolate syrup they have a more coco taste but freakin 0 calories

just a word from my experience with Walden Farms...do NOT order the 'whipped peanut butter'....It is the most vile stuff I've ever tried! Had to throw out...and I don't waste!

Maybe the syrups are better? I've been too cautious to try...

I do second the peanut butter is horrible threw mine out also. Used the maple syrup in baking in place of honey or syrup and like the jelly but more of a jello consistency but has the flavor.

I had to throw the whole peanut butter tub! I really tried to swallow it a couple of times, but it was so disgusting. As for the syrups, I did have the maple one and the taste was okay, until my second jar when I began tasting all the fakeness and it turned me off the products (they say the chocolate one is awful). Now I have real maple syrup (controlling the portions) and I'm a much happier person!

As for chocolate cravings, I usually go for a chocolate shake with defatted raw cacao powder, any milk of your choice and half a banana, so good!
    This is a good brownie recipe: https://deliciouslyella.com/2016/10/08/new-and-improved-sweet-potato-brownies/
    You can tweak the ingredients to make it more low-cal, such as subbing half the maple syrup for stevia, half (or all) the sweet potato for pumpkin...and see how it turns out!
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Eat only the good stuff - one piece at a time.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I bought a pound of dark chocolate hershey kisses and split it into the small servings for myself. I now only eat them a few times a week but i fit it into my calorie goal.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Simple, just don't buy any. When I was a teenager, I used to always drink Coke/Pepsi and chips. When I hit my 20's, I knew it was a problem, so what did I do...simple, not buy any. Of course, back then I didn't know about nutrition and CICO. Nowadays with what I know with IIFYM, I can fit it in my diet without any issues and I am pretty disciplined. I am pretty good at saying no to food, but if I had the same issues as I did growing up, I'd simply avoid it altogether. My goals are more important than one particular food.
  • 82jeh
    82jeh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I mix unsweetened cocoa powder and stevia into my coffee in the morning. Tastes like a mocha :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't eat too much of dark chocolate at once, so it's what I buy now.

Technically though, brownie isn't chocolate, but in the end, it's really all about wanting to lose weight more than wanting the extra calories.
  • tracelw
    tracelw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We were just discussing this at a 5 Rhythms workshop last weekend!

90% cocoa dark chocolate - you cannot binge on that stuff.

Also, protein shakes with a really good chocolate flavour. :smiley:
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Portion control and self control. If you can’t do those then don’t buy chocolate, etc.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Portion control and self control. If you can’t do those then don’t buy chocolate, etc.

This!
    Once you learn moderation and portion control, start to buy the goodies again.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    tracelw wrote: »
    We were just discussing this at a 5 Rhythms workshop last weekend!

90% cocoa dark chocolate - you cannot binge on that stuff.

Also, protein shakes with a really good chocolate flavour. :smiley:
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    Either don't buy any more and go cold turkey OR ween yourself off by eating good quality chocolate; go dark i.e. 90% cocoa.

Some people can still eat lots and lots of 90% dark chocolate. In fact, milk chocolate is harder for me to eat now because it tastes too sweet.

Unfortunately, my taste buds and cravings can just adjust to whatever I am consuming more of regularly, so portion and self control are the only methods that work in the end for me.

Unsweetened baking chocolate, I probably could not eat alot of, but then it isn't a dessert anymore.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A chocolate protein shake really helped with chocolate cravings!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to chocolates is Chocolove's 88%. I could eat a whole bar if I didn't simply choose not to -- there's nothing about it being 88% that makes it harder to do that with than if it were milk chocolate.

Maybe those 2 percentage points make all the difference, but somehow I doubt it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I can easily have a couple of pieces of 80% cocoa without wanting the whole bar. It would take great effort for me to stop at just a couple pieces of chocolate that is 60% or less cocoa. I assume it's more about the percentage sugar than anything else.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I gave up eating chocolate for about 3 months then i was able to just eat it a couple of times a week. Over a year i gradually got back to eating about 2 chocolate bars a day so i have just given up chocolate for march again. I seem to only be able to control by total cutting out or avoidance
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    88% dark chocolate? What do I do to get that stuff? The stuff sounds horrible!

Prepare a plate of brownies for six people. Partake of six brownies. Done!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    88% dark chocolate? What do I do to get that stuff? The stuff sounds horrible!

Prepare a plate of brownies for six people. Partake of six brownies. Done!

It's (the dark chocolate) is actually really good...although one has to get 'use' to it. Maybe it's kind of like coffee...the first time I had it when I was a teen I didn't like it, but grew to love it! and are you suggesting eating 6 brownies? That is certainly not helping to solve op's issues with chocolate lol :*
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    there's a few things I just don't keep around anymore, kinda like an alcoholic
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I can easily have a couple of pieces of 80% cocoa without wanting the whole bar. It would take great effort for me to stop at just a couple pieces of chocolate that is 60% or less cocoa. I assume it's more about the percentage sugar than anything else.

The 88% chocolate is pretty low sugar but I don't have more or less trouble controlling myself from overeating it than any other chocolate (chocolate bars aren't a trigger food for me anyway, since the things I have the most trouble with are homemade baked goods, where I tell myself I must eat it or it will go bad). ;-)

It's super delicious, though -- I recommend that particular brand/item.

My taste preference seems to be a little less sweet with a lot of dessert items. There's a restaurant here (Dutch-Indonesian) that has some desserts sometimes where they warn you they aren't very sweet, and I love them (and ate the whole thing without thinking -- not a lot of control there!).
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The 88% chocolate is pretty low sugar but I don't have more or less trouble controlling myself from overeating it than any other chocolate (chocolate bars aren't a trigger food for me anyway, since the things I have the most trouble with are homemade baked goods, where I tell myself I must eat it or it will go bad). ;-)

It's super delicious, though -- I recommend that particular brand/item.

My taste preference seems to be a little less sweet with a lot of dessert items. There's a restaurant here (Dutch-Indonesian) that has some desserts sometimes where they warn you they aren't very sweet, and I love them (and ate the whole thing without thinking -- not a lot of control there!).

I'll look for it. DH buys 90% Lindt bars. They're edible but not really a treat to me. I rarely touch them. If there are fats in those Dutch-Indonesian desserts it would still feel like a dessert to me even with low sugar.