5k - when did you start?

Options
For those of you who aspired to be "runners"....at what point did you finally enter a 5K and just do it?

A 5k is on my "fitness bucket list"..but I guess when I imagine myself doing it, I imagine running the whole thing. But am I looking at it wrong? I can run for about 30 mins and I run/walk. I run 2-5 blocks then I may walk half a block or 1. S Also, hills scare me. I'm not at that great endurance yet. hould I just bite the bullet and do one? Wait will I'm at a certain level??

I know this may seem "silly"...I mean, I can do one any time. I know this. I just might not be able to run the whole thing or most. I'm just curious as to when those "training" to do one, finally did it. And how did it go?

I've never even seen one so I don't know if a lot of people walk/run or just run.

Replies

• GreenwayL
    Options
    Just do it!!

I only run intervals, even in races. You'll often find that by running intervals you can finish faster than if you tried to run the entire race!

I think signing up for a race is the best motivation!!
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started running about 3 months ago, and my boyfriend entered me for a 5k in October probably a week later (he's doing a marathon at the same place), even though I could barely run for 2mins without collapsing in an exhausted unhappy heap. It worked well for me because it gave me something to aim for, and a reason to keep running even on the bad days and when I thought I was never going to manage it.
    Now, I'm running over 7k quite happily, and wish he'd entered me for a 10k!
    Anyway, in the end it's up to you. It doesn't matter if you find you can't run it all anyway. And you could look for an event that is flat. I'm doing Inverness and that's supposed to be pretty flat. Email a couple of events and look at the routes and see if there's one that you think is right for you.
    I've never done one before, so hope this helps!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I honestly was never a runner. Still really am not one. I wanted to try one. I dabbled in running. Never could run much longer than 25 mins at a time, but I ALWAYS was curious about a 5K. I decided to just go for it. I found one that had a nice even path around a lake, and signed up on a whim. Got a Tshirt too. I ran it all. And in 35 mins to boot. It was amazing. I'm not sure I'll ever do another one because its hard on my knees, but I just sucked it up and did it, and I'm glad I did. Just try it, you don't have anything to lose! There were several people jogging and walking at different times, so if you need to walk, just move over to the side a bit, you'll be fine & good luck! :o)
  • PeteyRunsNow
    PeteyRunsNow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bite the bullet! Just do it,lots of people run /walk. I gaurantee you will have a great time.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with GreenwayL! Just sign up. Then you'll have to force yourself to go above and beyond your current level. I had to do my first race in intervals. It was fun! Also, start doing some hill work NOW! I usually do it at the end of my run when I am already a bit tired. Find a decent long gradual hill, run up at full sprint, then jog back down (or walk if you need to) then go right back up again! Also start doing more runs that are in areas with hills to get your body used to it, because they will surely throw in some good hills in a race!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Pick a race with some significance, my wife and I entered our first race on our anniversary. We trained about 60 days out and made a day of it. Either way just remember why you are doing it and have fun you can challenge yourself at the next one after you have set a baseline. Good luck!
    :smile:
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Im doing my 1st 5k on Sat. I run/walk also. I havent done any traingning program, just try to push myself harder each time. I decided to just do it this time figuring Id walk alot of it. Once I finish this Im thinking I may do the c25k program to prepare for the next one. It seems like alot of people walk some during their 1st. So I say just do it! :smile:
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I did my first with out any training at all-I probably ran 2/3s of it maybe. I am not a runner. Anyhow just do it. I went from having a 45 min time to my fastest at 29.51. I just kept on doing them a lot, plus running became my get away from so many things!! Just start-it will become addicting.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I started running last September in March I saw an ad for a 5k in my town so I convinced one of my friends to do it with me because then I knew I couldnt back out. I suck at running but I love it. I basically worked up my endurance on the treadmill running for 30mins every other day and 20mins on the elliptical on a high incline to strengthen my legs. Then when the race came along I didnt expect to run with my friend cuz she was in a lot better shape so I jsut went at my own pace, I ended up beating her by like 5 mins and finished in 27 I was shocked , but it felt great!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first one about a year after I started running and then I had a freaky accident and was out for 6 months, finally got back into gear and signed up for my real first one about 6 months in and I loved it, did one a month after that until the weather got too hot. Actually got the whole family in on it, and now my husband, kids and parents go on most of the 5ks with me. we plan on doing the first one in October and trying to get one a month in from there.

The main thing is most 5k's are also walks so there are people of all fitness levels there, it is a great way to get started and meet new people. The first one we did was at our local zoo, we had a great time! Just do it!!!
  • jamiealdridge02
    jamiealdridge02 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. My first 5K was a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and it was sooooo fun!!! The atmosphere was really relaxed and some people ran really hard and others walked, pushed babies in strollers, etc. I trained for about 2 months before my first one, but you could walk and do less training. Oh-I was also newly pregnant so I had to walk a little bit, but no one cares. The 5K really got me hooked on running-they are so fun.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K in late December, and was able to run the distance (on a treadmill) in late February. I entered my first race in mid-March, but that was a 4.5 mile race, and it was a race that more serious runners typically run, not newbs like me. I wasn't quite up for that distance, or the cold, or the hills, and walked some of it, and finished near the end of the pack. BUT!!!! I still finished at a faster average pace than I typically ran on the treadmill! :happy:

A week later, I ran my first 5k, and was able to run the whole distance, even with cold and hills, and finished in the middle of the pack.

Just do it. You're only running against yourself, and you'll be setting a personal record that you can beat next time.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just started running the start of May, and did my first 5k the end of May. Now I have finished five 5k races. My next one is this Saturday! Just sign up. You'll love it :)
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My first is this Sunday. I started on the treadmill in mid-May. Had some shoe issues so I wasn't able to run as much as I wanted or should have. I'm slow, I did 5K this morning in about 42 minutes.
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I went through the same feelings when I started running. I wanted to do the "firecracker four" a four mile run held on the fourth of july in our town. I finally did it and ran the whole way and it was glorious! I finished in about 48 and a half minutes but I didn't care cause I finished and I ran the whole way. Now 5 years later I have run in a number of them and although my times aren't great(the last one was 43minutes and change) I feel so good when I am done with one...stick with it and make your own call on it but make sure you do it for you and feel rewarded when you finish strong!!
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    I went about my journey a little funkier than most. I was a runner in High School took 15 years off and then started traning again. My first race back was a half-marathon. I didn't run the whole thing, but I finished. I've run 4 5k's this year and have 4 more scheduled for the rest of the year.
  • runnergirljaime
    runnergirljaime Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started running in general in mid 2009 (never was a runner before). I ran my first 5K in September of 2009. As a lot of people have mentioned, just go for it! But be forewarned, it is addicting ;-) Since that harmless 5K run in September, I have ran 21-5K, 1-8K, 1-10K, 1-15K, 1-half marathon, and am in week 9 of 22 weeks of marathon training (Nov 12th, Thunder Road, Charlotte NC)....needless to say, I think you will enjoy your first 5K and want to definitely do more;-)