New to running! Advice please

Options
laurajean19912014
laurajean19912014 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! Recently decided to do my first ever 10k for charity. I haven’t run before ( apart from what I tried my hardest to avoid in PE at school). Recently started with park runs and runs on my own of a morning but I really struggle to get my breathing right! Currently giving myself a pressure headache and having to stop ! Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, run slower, walk if you need to.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a 5k first...?

General advice on running:

Run today but not too far. Tomorrow, if you feel ok, run a little farther than today.

Repeat until you run your goal distance + 10%.

If you don't feel ok, take a rest day or two.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the above to run slower and find a 10k training plan. In the beginning, I'm pretty sure I ran slower than I walked. It was almost like a shuffle.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    When is the 10k?

If you've never run it could take 6 or more weeks to get to 5k. The next jump could take another 6 weeks (assuming you head the advice to go slowly and get plenty of rest).

I'd suggest starting with Couch to 5K and go from there. If you are serious about going 10k, you should probably consider getting correct shoes. Get fitted at a real running store (not some outlet or big sporting goods store).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C210k
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Maybe try a 5k first...?

General advice on running:

Run today but not too far. Tomorrow, if you feel ok, run a little farther than today.

Repeat until you run your goal distance + 10%.

If you don't feel ok, take a rest day or two.

Running consecutive days isn't a great idea for newbies even if they feel 'ok'
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    slower and take your time to build up to 10K. C5k or C10K are great programs for starters, but for me they would have been too much too soon due to my asthma.
    I could not run for the life of me just over year ago.
    I now run 10-12K on a regular basis, but it took me nearly a year to get to 10K.
    Listen to your body and stretch. It is very very easy to overdo it when you start out which may lead to injury.
    There are a lot of good sites and programs that can be found on the internet. Have a search and I am sure you'll find your way