My calves are HUGE!!!

Options
I've always had quite curvy legs (and meaty calves!). Since I have been exercising though they have gone huge!! They are bigger then the bottom half of my thighs!

Exercise I do: Cross trainer, zumba. This week I started swimming and exercise dvds to mix things up a bit.

Any ideas how I can stop my calves getting bigger or reduce them???

Replies

• jbenton091011
    Options
    I'm interested in this too!
  • blissrelease
    Options
    Same here! My calves aren't wobbly and fat, but quite firm, and I'd like to get them really slim!
  • bobblebee77
    bobblebee77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always have had chunky short legs :( I've found going running has really helped... I hate running, but its worth it - burns loads of calories and if you're outdoors a spot of fresh air is good for the spirits too.

I actually have room in my knee high boots now, I never used to be able to zip them up. :)
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump. Same problem here!
  • kellogsmscott
    kellogsmscott Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have massively solid, big calves. Apparantly any kind of yoga, pilates etc is good for creating lean long muscle, but to be hoenst, it could just be how your body is. I will never be able to fit in a pair of knee highs unless made specially.
  • ROBP5
    ROBP5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your new to exercise and maybe lose weight your legs are carrying less therefore shouldn't get any bigger.
    Plenty of stretching exercises
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Ladies, ladies ladies. Ask your man if they like your calves nice, firm and meaty. You will be pleasantly surprised. I love my wifes soccer/runner calves. Makes her gams extra sexy :)
  • cammers74
    Options
    SAme problem here!!
    Btw - loving your profile picture! When and where was that taken?!
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try running, it has helped tone mine up, even walking. give it a try and see if you see any differences :)
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I hate my big calves, but running helped slim them some
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    Try running, it has helped tone mine up, even walking. give it a try and see if you see any differences :)

Yeah I have been fitting 90 minutes of walking in once a week aswell. They are very toned already which is the problem! Also I have been advised by my GP not to run as I have bad knees :(
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    SAme problem here!!
    Btw - loving your profile picture! When and where was that taken?!

He came to a reem party in Stafford so we got to meet him!
  • kennethshaw
    Options
    Not to sound weird, but I love muscular calves in women. It just means you are athletic. :smooched:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    You may be stuck with them, but.. on your squats/lunges/etc you may try shifting your weight to your heals unsteady of your toes.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Just typed in 'women with muscular calves' on google images... I didn't realize calves could grow so big! Suddenly feel better about mine now but terrified of them getting bigger!
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I read something the other day about this actually. apparently doing longer gentler exercise means your calves won't bulk out so much! Apparently distance runners don't have as bulky calves as sprinters...

Here's the link:
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/Slim_Calves.html
  • kellogsmscott
    kellogsmscott Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    if you think about it, it sort of works in a similar way to weight training and body builders etc. To tone up and lean out you do lots of reps at a low weight. To bulk up you do low reps, high weight.

its the same with exercise. In the sport i play we use a lot of explosive energy for a short time, 2 mins max. This means we have very high round bottoms, very muscly thighs and calves and tiny ankles (well except me but i dont have tiny ankle bones).

So, in order to build long "slimmer" muscles, you need to do something like running, swimming, etc slow and steady as opposed to beasting yourself for short p[eriods.

Thats my logic anyway, based on my experiences.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    Oooh, I read something the other day about this actually. apparently doing longer gentler exercise means your calves won't bulk out so much! Apparently distance runners don't have as bulky calves as sprinters...

Here's the link:
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/Slim_Calves.html

This article is awesome! Thankyou! x
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bwhah! Have you SEEN a professional swimmer? Some of the biggest calves ever (It has to do with the foot flex when you kick).

Personally, I LOVE toned calve muscles on ladies. And my friend, she has some of the biggest calves ever and she's pretty fit and trim. It's just the way her body is built.
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    Sounds like you've been massaging your calves with grandma's apple pie. It'll do it every time.