walking instead of driving in poor weather- okay or not?

Options
Lounmoun
Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
Is it stubborn or foolish for a healthy adult to walk places 1-3 miles in rain, snow, cold temperatures, heat?
What about for a child or teen? What is the norm where you live?

I've been walking more around town with my teenager (dressing for the weather as best we can). We almost never see others walking on days that are not nice and sunny. Most people drive places even when it is nice out. Got a bit of a negative/concerned comment today after obviously walking in the rain that made me wonder if i am being unfair to my teen or promoting a healthy habit by walking in all weather. Teenager has been pretty cool about it but brightened up a bit at the idea of using a ride service.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You have a teen that walks with you? Bless you!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Nobody seems to walk anywhere now!! And they think you're strange if you do - in any type of weather.

On the contrary, I do know a few people with nice cars who do not bring them out in wet weather!!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid in Queens we didn't own a car. We walked everywhere regardless of the weather and so did everyone we knew. Sounds perfectly normal to me :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I grew up walking everywhere in all weather and still do. It's good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 339 km of walking this year so far, and last year I reached 1300 km for the full year. :)

I walk to the bus each morning, bus into town, walk to work. Then go out and walk anywhere from 1 to 6 km at lunch. Then it's walk/bus home after work. When I get home, my husband and I often go out for a walk in the evening. I also attend university and walk between work and university some days.

The weather here isn't too bad ... we don't get bitterly cold or lots of snow or anything. But I grew up on the Canadian prairies and walked and cycled all over the place there, year round.

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I generally walk in all weather, including the very heavy snow we had lately in the UK (not a fun trip to uni...), but I think it's important to know when it's a stupid idea. As long as you stay safe and know when to take breaks or when it's a good idea to just get the damn bus, I think it's fine. The key is that your child isn't really unhappy walking in the rain! 1-3 miles isn't really that far :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot and to be honest I notice the same thing to an extend that people think you are weird for walking in what they call adverse conditions
    In my previous job I walked there rain or shine, through snow coverings that came halfway on my calf. Never had any adverse effect other than having tremendous fun. TBH I love walking in the pouring rain, provided I have good raingear. Only storm and wind code red would stop me.
    This morning I walked through town in a windchill of -15C and you know what? It was cold initially, but it was so nice to be out. Just added another layer of clothing. After about 5 minutes I had warmed up.

These days I cycle to work and only under very specific circumstance I will take the public transport instead (which still means having to walk 1.5m to the station).
    A black ice situation. Just not safe on a bike then and our neighbouring town is just not good taking care of cycle paths. Same goes for a thick snow covering - I'd still walk, but that is too far now.
    When there is a blistering storm in the middle of winter coming from the east or north (read windchill below -10) as that would mean a headwind too.
    Weather code red still obviously. But that does not happen often.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I walk to work everyday and having the right attire makes it possible. Rain, cold (hasn't been below 7F yet), and snow.

Actually on days it is heavily snowing, I am usually the first one in because it is alot safer to walk up a very steep hill then drive up/down.

Thunder however is a walk killer, but since moving out of the south the # of thunderstorms that I experience has gone down dramatically.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I am determined that my child will grow up to be a badass woman ... not one of those delicate, snowflakes that’s made if sugar and will dissolve if she goes out in the rain.

Rain, snow, hail, wind, sun ... we walk, run, ride play out side

My mom always told me as she pushed me out in the rain to walk to school that I wasn't sugar and would not melt!
    Walked to school in all weather. Did not melt.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    I generally walk in all weather, including the very heavy snow we had lately in the UK (not a fun trip to uni...), but I think it's important to know when it's a stupid idea. As long as you stay safe and know when to take breaks or when it's a good idea to just get the damn bus, I think it's fine. The key is that your child isn't really unhappy walking in the rain! 1-3 miles isn't really that far :)

I agree that it is not very far. We are walking through areas with stores, library, hospital, etc not the open countryside so if something really severe was bearing down we'd have shelter options.
    There isn't a bus here but we could use a ride service for $2 for one stop in town. Town is maybe 2 miles across. You have to call and set up your ride in advance and if they are busy they are busy. It is more for seniors although anyone can use it apparently. Seems kind of ridiculous to use for a healthy adult and teen.
  • Nyxks
    Nyxks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here we walk most places or take local transit walking 5miles isn't uncommon in all westher conditions (snow, rain, etc).
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I live in a very small town. We can walk anywhere we need to go. It's so small, that we don't have public transit. I need to have my car for work, but if we want to go somewhere, most of the time we walk. With that said, I rarely see people walking besides on warm, sunny days.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    As long as you can walk safely, absolutely, walk/walk away. More people should walk in this world (me included).
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    My kids walk outside in all kinds of weather. We have cars, but I don't like driving and prefer to walk. As long as they aren't sick and they are dressed appropriately for the weather I don't see any problem with walking outside.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lucky for all of us, our skin is rain-proof! I used to walk with my son before he hit his teens and had access to a car. We lived in Alaska and dressed for the conditions. Good foot gear was key. Now we live in the Pacific Northwest, and I walk in the rain. I really like the fresh air. I like looking at what's around me, those things most people just drive by. I've had friends ask why I don't drive for all my errands. I ask them why they do. I feel they're missing out on some fun. And here's a benefit: you are spending time with your teen, which in a few years you'll value even more than you do today. Believe me. Walking together in good weather and bad is a great time to talk about whatever is on your child's mind.