Do You Think Am Over weight

Options
I think Am over weight but family and freinds say am not

i absolutaly hate my body especially my arms

do you think from the pic am over weight this is a recent pic

which part of your body are you not happy with ?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    We need a wee bit more information!

Height, current weight, is this heavier or lighter than you've been before etc
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    You look great! i dont see a flaw as being over weight... My Issues are my belly and upper arms and legs
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    Friends and Family don't like to admit the truth about weight. They're an unrealiable source.

At the end of the day it's up to you and how you feel. If you feel overweight and you feel you could stand to lose some weight then that's pretty much the best indication you need in order to persue your weight loss goal.

Good luck!
  • emilykirwan
    Options
    You look fine but I know how you feel because if you don't feel fine then it gets you down. I hate my tummy and my upper arms. I'm really loving exercising at the moment cos of the way it makes yo feel afterwards - loads of energy :)
  • bethy0316
    Options
    Friends always say what we want to hear ... no true friend will do anything but compliment you, unless they see you truly going down a bad road ... then their honesty is overpowering.

YOU have to be happy with yourself ... so until that happens, just say thank you and keep working towards your goals.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry as much about weight as your fitness. People always want to lose weight in a specific area which can be hard to do, you need to eat right and exercise to burn off any fat in general.

However if your arms bother you, there are things you can do and all it takes is a few light dumb bells. Start out and see how many bicep curls, tricep extensions and shoulder presses you can do before you have to quit and then write it down. Do this every other day and you should be able to see an increase. Maybe not right away - if you haven't been doing any arm weights you might be pretty sore, but over time you will see you can do more reps and/or increase the weight. Your arms will also get shaplier!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Friends and Family don't like to admit the truth about weight. They're an unrealiable source.

At the end of the day it's up to you and how you feel. If you feel overweight and you feel you could stand to lose some weight then that's pretty much the best indication you need in order to persue your weight loss goal.

Good luck!

Obvisously, you haven't met my family!!!
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    I agree with "jbenton"...if you feel like you want to lose weight, go for it. You look healthy, but the best thing to do is talk to your doctor and get their opinion.

Good luck with whatever you do!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Family are horrible people to ask because there are political implications to their answers so they usually tell you whatever they think is easiest for you.
    My Grandmother used to say "no one will tell you to wash your face so you look better than they do", so friends are also bad people to ask.

To be honest you certainly are not obese, but you have extra weight and that weight can increase if you don't watch yourself.
    You should watch your calorie intake and make sure you get regular exercise.
    Have fun and eat with friends and family, but don't go crazy. Many young women consume thousands of extra calories several times a week "just because its Friday", etc...... Avoid that.

I am not a DR or a trainer, but I recomend a regular exercise routine.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    You look great, and if I may say so, womanly (ie not a stick). Whether you are overweight or not, well that depends on your favourite definition ... BMI is easy to calculate!

If you're unhappy with various bits, it might be more to do with toning that weight, so address that.

:-)
  • joolzh13
    joolzh13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly two stone since Xmas whilst everyone says I now look absolutely fab, no-one ever told me I could do with shifting a stone or two before.

I feel absolutely great, I have had a massive clear out of my clothes and sold them off, treating myself to new ones (off ebay) so new to me but not entirely new.

Its lovely to see small changes that feel enormous to you.

You mentioned your arms, I had a lovely blouse with three quarter length sleeves which buttoned all the way down. Until now I had to wear the blouse with the buttons all undone and they were forced apart by a half inch. Now the buttons are done up and the sleeve arent tight.

Do what you feel is right - if you feel good then stay as you are
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've learned to ignore other people.

First, a lot of people who are overweight themselves don't have a realistic idea of what a healthy weight really looks like.

Second, they may say that because they feel bad saying, "Yes, you ARE overweight!"

Third, my mother was accusing me of being anorexic when I weighed 130 pounds because I'd been 30 pounds overweight for a couple years and it was new for her to see me so thin (we live in different states and I see her once or twice a year). I thought that was funny, considering that most of my life I was 100-120 pounds and she didn't think I was anorexic then!

Fourth, most of those people don't see you naked. I know how to dress my body to cover the flaws and look thinner than I am, but I know what I look like in the shower. I see the jiggle they don't.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Direct answer (hate me if you want but You asked us)

You can loose on your arms,back,belly and hips.

But people are not perfect.
    The point of exercise is not to loose fat. Exercise when You want how mutch You want. Dont put weight goals.
    Nothing happens overnight. Love your body and their flaws dont get crazy with a diet.
    Have fun while you exercise. You dont have to eat like a birdy and try to eat super clean if you want to get a firmer body.

You dont know what will happen in the next year.
    Like I was exercising like crazy before and was really skinny then boom no more time alot of work and got some weight.
    And I never understood why do ppl even bother with the word overweight. I have a friend that is overweight but he can easily work a whole day outside in the field and he is really healthy does it matter if he is overweight ofc not.
    But if you have problems climbing stairs, running, walking then you need to do something and yes even skinny ppl have problems with that.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ha my family especially my mother loves to tell me im fat after losing 24 lbs then going down she looks at me says wow you are really getting fat you need to do something i just let it go in one ear and out the other after 47 yrs im used to it
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are beautiful! I love your hair. Now, to answer your questions......I would guess based on your pictures and my opinion....yes, you are slightly overweight. Then again, a few tiny pictures aren't the best judge. What is your current height and weight?

Honestly, I wouldn't go around asking friends and family about your weight. Friends often lie and family members often see you through rose colored glasses. I would talk to your doctor about it. It's their job to be honest with you. You could also go online and look for a bmi calculator. They aren't always fail proof, especially if you have a lot of muscle mass, but you don't look like the body builder type so it should be a good baseline for you.

Areas I don't like? Ummm, arms are an issue...I don't think they are fat but I do have lots of extra skin that causes them to flap around...ewe.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would say, no, you're not overweight. You might weigh more than you'd like to weigh, but that's not the same thing as being technically "overweight."

If you'd feel better being a little leaner, you're on the right site! :smile: I wouldn't aim to lose any more than one pound a week, and take pictures every few weeks to re-evaluate your progress. You might not see the changes in the mirror, but it's a lot easier to spot in photos.
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters what you weigh, will always be some part that you wont be happy with, mines my tummy if I put on any weight its always there, you have to go of how you feel about yourself :)
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think Am over weight but family and freinds say am not

i absolutaly hate my body especially my arms

do you think from the pic am over weight this is a recent pic

--Do I think you're overweight? Nah, according to the "normal" statistics you may be but being healthy is way more important than being skinny.

which part of your body are you not happy with ?
    -- Doesn't matter really. I don't know you, I don't live with you. I feel indifferent about all of them. It does matter, however, what part(s) YOU aren't happy with. And if you aren't happy then change it and stop asking your family and strangers what they don't like about you.

I think you look great. There is some room for toning up. Keep true to what YOU want while maintaining a healthy life and you're good to go.
  • mbeach1977
    mbeach1977 Posts: 275 Member
    Options

My Grandmother used to say "no one will tell you to wash your face so you look better than they do", so friends are also bad people to ask.

LOVE that!! And very true!!