How do you guys stay motivated to go to the gym?

Replies

• kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Habit. One it becomes one, you feel bad if you miss a day. I go 3 days a week, usually the same day and same time unless something really important gets in the way. Then, if I do miss, I try to go the next day.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    I had to make some sacrifices to buy a one-year 50% off gym membership. It was hard. I'm a sole-support parent to two children.

That is my motivation. I took money away from "XYZ" (whichever living expense) to buy this membership. The thought of "wasted money" in not going is more than enough motivation for me to go.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    I tell myself on lazy days that I should go and change into my clothes and do the elliptical for 5 mins.

By the time I get there and change, I usually have found some more energy to do at least half or even the full workout I wanted too. Also thinking "if I want more of my dessert tonight, I should workout 5 mins more" and repeat.

Sometimes due to factors your workout might be half of what you wanted but humans aren't machines that can do perfect workouts all the time so even done some is still a success!
  • drirfansheikh
    drirfansheikh Posts: 4 Member
    Although I am generally motivated to go to gym but I find myself not pushing enough to see results.
    Need some friendly motivation to drop my body fat percentage from existing 18 percent.
    #Friendrequest
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I found a group class that I really like, Body Pump. I try to go 3 days a week if I can (kids' sports and other activities sometimes prevent this). I have an elliptical at home, so if I don't want to go the other days I just do it at home while watching tv, listening to music, etc... I was going to the gym to do cardio, but have lost my motivation to get there figuring it's less effort to do it at home. I think I work a little harder at the gym than at home though. My motivation with the elliptical is that I'm willing to work to eat. I just like the Body Pump class.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    I had to make some sacrifices to buy a one-year 50% off gym membership. It was hard. I'm a sole-support parent to two children.

That is my motivation. I took money away from "XYZ" (whichever living expense) to buy this membership. The thought of "wasted money" in not going is more than enough motivation for me to go.

I feel this way too. I cannot justify the money going out every month for something I don't use. Also, I tell myself that me being healthy is good for my kids both short term and long term. When I am regularly exercising, I feel happier and less stressed which definitely benefits my kids. Sometimes I feel guilty for not paying attention to them when I work out or putting them in the gym childcare, but I remind myself of this. Long term benefits for my kids = I will be healthier longer in life and can be there to help them when they have their own kids. The fewer health issues I have as I age, the better it will be for them (I was prediabetic and had pretty high cholesterol before I lost the weight).
  • heumpirej
    heumpirej Posts: 12 Member
    I watch myself in the mirror and see what a fat slob I am. The disgust and anger motivates me :D
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Recently I’ve tried eating a chocolate or a candy. I don’t have much sugar in my diet anymore and it works...instant energy. Even if the calories in that chocolate were to negate the calories I burned in my workout (which it doesn’t), right now I’m more focused on staying consistent with my workouts than losing weight. I still occasionally have problems with one treat leading to another so I do it in a controlled way. Either I put it in my pocket and eat it once I’m in the car ready to go to the gym, or if I’m working out at home I don’t have it till I’m dressed in workout clothing and standing in my home gym with my workout sheet in hand ready to begin.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    zoedorman wrote: »
    Some days it feels like I just can't get up :( How do you guys stay motivated? Or is it more about discipline than motivation?

I do it first thing in the morning before I have a chance to put it off or make up excuses why I can't do it that day. This way, it's done and I can go ahead with the rest of my day without another thought about it :)
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    A tip I stole from Graeme Obree. Do not decide from home whether or not you are going to train. Go to the gym (or whatever your thing is) as per your schedule and START. If you still don't feel like it go home.
  • ivan040593
    ivan040593 Posts: 8 Member
    "Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't" - Jerry Rice.
  • Deisler26
    Deisler26 Posts: 357 Member
    I do 2x Tough Mudders per year. And it is the thought of how I would feel after if I didn’t train for these (I’m too money-conscious to just not turn up)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    It's easy for me. I joined 9Round & I can't wait to go back. It's a kickboxing exercise program & it's never the same twice. You work hard for 30-35 minutes & it's a lot of fun.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    My best friend is always there, 5 days a week, before work, to workout together. And then, my A1C went from 8% down to 5.4% due to exercising, which keeps me motivated to keep going.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 659 Member
    I wake up super early every day to bike in to work (takes about an hour and twenty or so minutes for the 23 mile commute). If I check the weather and it's cold as sin, then since I'm up anyway, it's into the car and off the gym instead. :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Discipline. Habit. Early morning coffee.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    I consider gym time "me" time and I download a book or movie and read/watch it during cardio. Also, one gym has a heated pool and a sauna and I love to swim.

Usually, I promise myself something. For example, if I work out at least 5 days a week, running for an hour, lifting for 1/2 hour for 3 months I can _________(buy a new dress or pair of shoes, get a massage, etc.)

If you do this, make the goal very specific so you can't find a way out. After 3 months you may find that you don't need motivation because a) you'll like the results and b) you'll be in the habit of going to the gym and c) you'll feel so good you won't want to stop.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    When I first decided to re-focus on fitness, I joined a gym. Knowing I was paying for something helped me to maintain motivation - every workout made the per-workout cost less. Now that I am in a place where I have access to a free gym, I lost that $$ motivation. So, I found a friend who was committed to working out first thing in the morning, like me. If I wake up at 5:30, if I even think about turning off the alarm and going back to bed, I remember that my friend will be waiting for me at 6:00. Our workout facility doesn't allow people to workout solo, so if I didn't show, she would get the shaft. Having someone count on you is a motivator.

Oh, and I also recently came across a photo of myself a couple of years back when I was in my peak shape. Knowing that I got there without HUGE sacrifice has helped motivate me to believe I can do it again.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    I usually schedule into my calendar when I'm going to the gym which helps me manage my time and when to go. I sometimes watch motivational/workout videos on youtube to keep myself going or look at some posts on instagram. I also make up my workout routines a few days in advance and sometimes I add a new workout to each routine so that way I'm always trying something new