Alternatives to squats and deadlifts??

Options
2»

Replies

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    ashm77 wrote: »
    Heya does anyone else have any suggestions or is also like me?
    New to this and having quite abit of difficulty with the above. I'm currently trying to gain weight up about 4kg so far. Upper body having goodish progress but lower body is stalling. Don't think my mobility is that great and I did read that people with long legs and short torso will struggle to get a proper squat...sigh. As for deadlifts the whole movement feels unnatural and awkward to me. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Just because your build isn't optimum for becoming the world squatting and deadlift champion does not mean you will not benefit from doing them.

However, substitutes for them coild be leg presses and barbell rows.

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The low bar squat might help. I'm pretty long legged and it works for me.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    SurfyPants wrote: »
    My physiotherapist taught me good form and like the picture below, I practiced this for weeks in front of a mirror, then without, finally removing the dowel when I perfected it. The movement was foreign to me but now it's second nature.

02mogf6auzw3.jpg

Align the dowel on your spine holding it with one hand behind your neck and the other at your low back. The dowel should stay in contact with the back of your head, your upper back and your tailbone while you bow forward. The only way to do this right is to stick out your butt and hinge at your hips. Don’t lose contact with the dowel and avoid excess arching in your low back.

I can vouch for this, it's brilliant, my physio got me doing this too. She also got me doing box squats to work on form. (I had injured myself by going too quickly with Strong lifts and basically had to start again from scratch)
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    There are none.
  • Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    There are none.

Pithy, unhelpful, and untrue. Go back under your rock.

Ok.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have the same body type. For deadlifts, which I was also having trouble with when I started doing them, I really recommend asking for one session with a personal trainer and saying you want to work on your deadlift form.
    Edit: Just saw you do have a trainer. Maybe ask her to dedicate one full session to deadlift form? One thing my coach said that helped me was "you're not doing a squat".

For squats, try taking a a wider stance with toes pointed out, if you aren't already.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    box squats ! .... if you can sit down you can box squat, its a good way of keeping form and having to get moving again from a stationary sit really hits the hammies/glutes

Goblet squats for the depth .... I find it easier to go really deep in a goblet squat, the weight up front haps balance and its easy to sit in the squat and let everything stretch ..... shifts the emphasis to the quads though