Any gardeners out there?

Options
Hi I’m new to mfp this week and have just started tracking my food so I can manage my caloric intake and portions. I have 50ish lbs to lose and am tired of feeling like a lush all of the time. :)
My goal is to use my love for gardening to lose weight and keep me active. With spring right around the corner, I am anxiously awaiting being able to pick fresh veggies from my backyard!
Are there any other gardeners out there who want to start a group to share in all things gardening and keep each other accountable?

Replies

• OBXbrit
    OBXbrit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Kerri - I can finally relate! Hello! I, too, love gardening in any fashion.
    I've been dieting since early February but only with MFP three days. I like this way of dieting - oddly I don't mind logging everything I eat - it sure opened my eyes about my portion control - or lack of it. And - I am sick of having to buy fresh veggies and fruits now that I rely on them even more. I'll be starting plants in the green house next week! Yay!! Finally!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Funny that you should mention it. I just started my modest garden plan this year, and planted a few seeds indoors to get a head start. Frost is an ongoing concern this far north (53 degrees latitude). We are enjoying snow showers today.

I will be staggering my planting of radish and lettuce so that I can harvest over a longer period.

Also on the menu are beans, a yellow courgette, lemon trees, and chives (because my plants got buried last year).
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    Canada? I'm a bit farther south. To be honest I had to google courgette - I'd call that summer squash or the green version - zucchini. I grow that, too. Sadly I like it fried - have to rethink that!
    I have three types of lettuce and green onions in the ground now. Peppers will be the first thing I start in the green house. The green house is small but I manage to supply the family and myself with most of what we plant. I'll plants several different kinds of peppers and then soon after I'll start tomatoes -
  • August2444
    August2444 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Count me in if you start a group. I'm from Australia and live in a very temperate climate, so I garden year round. I also look after a large community vegetable garden at work.
  • kerrimiller2018
    kerrimiller2018 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Today I began preparing the beds for planting and I hope to get cold season veggies in the ground yet this week. I’m starting with carrots, lettuces, radishes, beets, onions and peas an will add to it and stagger plant every 1-2 weeks.
    I’m jealous that I don’t live somewhere I could garden year round!

I created a Green Thumbs group if you all want to join in!
  • OBXbrit
    Options
    Good Morning! Sounds like you were busy yesterday - and dirty. I love the smell of garden "dirt"! I had a truck of composted manure delivered yesterday. I hear we have snow flurries coming again by Wednesday - UGH! I was hoping for a dry week, there are things I can plant if the weather would cooperate.
    I'd love to join the Green Thumbs group. I don't know what I need to do to do that though - help?
    G'Day, to August2444! I have an Aussie friend - she's a dentist in Sydney.
  • eileenm2018
    eileenm2018 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, a keen gardener from down under here. I am on the tail end of a zucchini glut. Had it so many different ways. It’s a very friendly vegetable. Eileen M
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I just joined. Here's the link to the group!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/126130-green-thumbs
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to start a garden for the first time this spring and would love some people to help me out!