New Girl Needs Help

Options
Hello everyone!! My name is Nikki and I recently joined Fitness Pal for some help on my journey. At this time, I am looking to lose 100 pounds, and could really use the support! I've tried dieting before but could never really stay on track and always struggled with my weight. However, I am now in the right mindset to really work toward my starting goal and achieve the weight loss success I've been longing for.

I could really use support and tips from anyone who is willing to offer! I want my life back and would love some help along the way.

Thank you all! <33

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do everything at once. Set a moderate weekly weight loss goal, and start by making small changes here and there. Don't eliminate anything from your diet. Don't start a crazy hard exercise program. Ease into this, weight loss is a marathon not a sprint.

Measure & log "regular" foods so you make educated changes. Make some of those changes permanent ones because losing weight is just the first step.

Buy a pedometer. Start with a step goal, not 10,000 though because it takes time to get there.

This is a great thread to get started: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • annie2775
    annie2775 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good luck. The first couple weeks are the hardest. Eat normal foods, no fad diets. Using this app will help you make better choices just by realizing how many calories something is. I lot 35 lbs a few years ago but I gained it back so I get to do it over again. I have been liking protein bars and shakes. They help you stay full longer. Exercising let’s you earn more calories to eat which is nice but eating sensibly will go the farthest towards weight loss. You can do it! Also have healthy food handy or you will be in a rush and make poor choices.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to not fall for gimmicks or fads. You don't need low carb or multi level marketing products to lose weight . You just need to create a calorie deficit.
  • nmf0787
    nmf0787 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Break things down into individual behaviors and habits. Instead of looking at this as an all at once, or all or nothing proposition, find ways to break things down into smaller and more sustainable habits. That makes it much easier to pinpoint where something is not working, and fix it, rather than staring at the whole jumbled mess of NOT WORKING. Plus, when you do backslide, you are less likely to drop everything, just one or two habits, that can then be fixed again. Otherwise, trying to everything at once, means that you are likely to leave out something important (like weighing food), and pay excessive attention to things that aren't. (Like fiber drinks and vinegar)
    Don't demonize foods that don't actually make you feel bad. Obviously if you have food sensitivities avoid those things, but don't cut out all your favorite goodies because they are not "healthy". Think of your calories as a type of currency. You should purchase the nutrient rich stuff first, budget for regular treats, and don't waste any calories on stuff you hate, even if it is theoretically good for you.
    Log EVERYTHING.
    Don't JUST weigh (with a scale is best) everything you eat, also write why you are eating it (i.e, lunchtime, hungry, kind of bored, out with friends, watching tv) and how you are feeling right before, right after and an hour after (hungry, comfortable, normal, full, very full bloated, drowsy, OMG I am so damn sick of this crap I want to throw the whole plate out a window, etc).
    This gives you a baseline pattern for your normal habits and routine. From there, it's just a matter of experimenting. Are you very full after dinner? Cut back on a few things. Does lunch leave you bloated and gassy after an hour, try less or no mayo, and see if there's something you don't mind dropping each meal (fries, or cheese, or maybe only 2 tacos instead of 3).Are you starving an hour after dinner?Maybe more fats during.
    It's amazing how quickly these small and easily sustainable changes will add up to big calorie cuts. Only cut one or two things at a time, until they become habit instead if trying to do everything at once. That way they become individual habits instead of one big "diet".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to have a few indulgences, just check the calories and be realistic about how much and how often you can have them. A treat isn't necessarily a cheat.

That being said, be careful of treats that are too tempting. I don't buy a lot of bakery desserts anymore, but I look for recipes that come in at 200 calories or less. I know that buying a tub of ice cream is asking for trouble, but a box of ice cream sandwiches or an occasional single-scoop at Baskin-Robbins is easier to handle.

And above all, DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!

There will be weeks where you will do everything 'right' and gain. There will be weeks when you think you went completely off the rails, and you'll lose. Weight loss isn't linear. Water retention happens. So does time of month, for us women. Look at the trend, rather than today's number on the scale. And look at other indicators (measurements, the way your clothes fit, etc).