Depression and losing weight

Options
Will losing weight make me feel better? It's so hard to motivate myself to exercise! I've lost 5lbs just calorie counting no exercise at the moment!

Replies

• lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes losing weight will help you feel better about yourself and give you more energy. I walk a lot even though I am in a walking boot and find it helps my mood.
  • ducklady27
    ducklady27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Personally when I was working out every day my depression was almost nonexistent, everyone’s different though! I say it can hurt, go on a couple walks a week maybe? Definitely don’t wait until your thinner to address your depression though, it won’t just go away. Can I send you a friend request?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Type 2 bipolar. I strongly agree about losing weight and walking boosting mood.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Depression is far too individual for anyone here to give you an accurate answer. My depression does not respond to exercise, weight loss, or diet. If anything I have a tendency to feel worse during and sometimes after exercise, this is especially true for long (30+ mile) rides outside. On the other hand I have friends and acquaintances who manage their mental health issues largely with exercise.

There have been studies that show that exercise can help mild depression, but I think we all know that not everyone who has been diagnosed with depression has mild depression. I have chronic and severe depression and while I was only diagnosed with depression when I was 16 (so nearly 15 years ago), I likely would have been depressed before I was a teenager had I seen a therapist at the time. Note - I was very physically active throughout most of my childhood.

Never mind too that there are plenty of elite athletes with depression and/or other mental health issues...

None of that means that you shouldn't exercise or try to lose weight in a healthy way, but no one here can accurately tell you whether or not it will help your depression.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The time I spend working out provides a huge distraction from the negative thoughts. I still have negative thoughts, just not preoccupied with them. The discipline and routine of going to the gym has really helped. One small victory I achieved is that I don't think about suicide anymore.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of relying on losing weight to fix your mental state, but it can definitely have a positive effect. I feel great since my weightloss and I’m so confident now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Will losing weight make me feel better? It's so hard to motivate myself to exercise! I've lost 5lbs just calorie counting no exercise at the moment!

I know I'll feel better during exercise and for hours afterwards, so I force myself on days I'm not feeling it. Regular exercise does wonders for my mood.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I used to have severe depression a few years ago. Exercise helped to improve my moods but losing weight didn't "cure" me or make it go away, but the exercise and losing weight did help me handle it. I've lost weight, still losing weight, but even though I've lost weight I still get depressed.

Please, don't just rely on weight loss to help with your depression. If you are struggle then I would suggest talking to someone, many even your doctor
  • billyeann90
    billyeann90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for releasing the feel good hormones. Ive struggled with anxiety and depression extremely bad and when i do even a 15 minute workout i feel a lot better.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I still have depression which I have had for years but exercise does help better your mood and helps you feel better about yourself. It isn't a cure all nor is it medication or therapy.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 bipolar disorder and I know that for me personally exercise works wonders for my mental state. But when I’m down I couldn’t be f’d exercising. Even though I know it will make me feel better. Pushing myself to get off my butt and even just going for a walk makes me feel better.

Hunni if you are feeling depressed, please go see your doctor. Get this under control now before it controls you.

Sending hugs :hug:
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    clinical depression is a real and serious things. most people who suffer from depression also suffer from anxiety which can be crippling. i find, for me personally, doing a minute of 30 minutes of really hard, intense cardio, really helps to burn the extra energy from the anxiety. and it releases feel good chemicals. it also helps to make sure i sleep. and insomnia that comes with depression and anxiety. its also an action you can take for yourself where you can feel in control over ONE thing in your life and i'm sure you feel like most things for you are out of your control. good luck
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ducklady27 wrote: »

Personally when I was working out every day my depression was almost nonexistent, everyone’s different though! I say it can hurt, go on a couple walks a week maybe? Definitely don’t wait until your thinner to address your depression though, it won’t just go away. Can I send you a friend request?

For a walking program, you can break up your excercise into multiple sessions. Say start with 10 mins 3 times a day. When that gets too easy, up your walking to 15 mins three times a day.

Each time your excercise starts getting too easy add some more excercise. Later if you desire and are able to healthier you can move up to jogging.

Or you can add other excercise activities, of aerobic types and or weight/resistance room excercise.

Don't want to walk or for when the weather is horrible, find a stationary bike (check thrift stores and garage sales to save money). *You can also join a gym like planet fitness or the YMCA etc. Also doing a variety of activities

Got bad joints? Got a bad back, maybe find a swim pool and try water activities like swimming, or aqua fitness classes. Water walking/jogging, aqua zumba, water aerobics, etc.

For myself , both diet and excercise has helped my depression immensely.

I recommend doing both as part of your weight loss plan. Start first with the MFP APP. Input your data as accurately as possible, and then you will have you goals from MFP.

Start with logging your foods with a scale (digital scales are the best, check walmart or costco). Beverages with calories can be measured with your liquid measuring cup.

Logging your calorie will give you insight into the foods you choose to eat, and how much you have been overestimating.

Once you get comfortable logging in your mfp diary, if you can excercise, I urge you to start exercising. Use it or lose it applies to your body.

Moving your body through excercise boosts things like endorphins and metabolism.

Excercise helps gain or maintain muscle strength and tone. Excercise helps your bloodsugar, blood pressure, your heart, and more.

Those who do both a sensible weight loss plan, and sensible excercise amounts and intensity are apt to achieve more benefits from this lifestyle change.
    Hope this helps.
  • pearlymay8
    pearlymay8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know yoga has REALLY helped my depression. And i think the endorphins coming from exercise cant hurt either. I am also on meds for my depression/anxiety ... but i noticed more centeredness and gratefulness when i am regularly going to yoga.
  • carlywilkins14
    carlywilkins14 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I am on pills. I've have lots of bouts of depression. It never goes entirely and always comes back you are all helping to make me at least think about exercise! Hopefully at some point my motivation will come. x