What do you do when you don't lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I stay off the scale and go by how my clothes fit. I only lost 10 pounds in a year (according to my doctor's scale) but I went from a size 16 to a 12 or sometimes10.
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m a newbie, been logging in for 3 weeks but this is my first post here. I know how you feel I lost 7lbs over the first 2 weeks, 5lbs the first week and 2 the second, weighed myself this morning and haven’t lost anything. Been logging my food every day, my calories are set at just under 1500 and most days I’m under that sometimes by 100 calories and sometimes just by a couple but I’m gutted not to see the scales move this week. Determined not to give up but it can be a bit soul destroying when you know you’ve stuck to your calories and not lost x
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Make sure your measuring food properly with a food scale, and exercise speeds the proccess up.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    kelMee2 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m a newbie, been logging in for 3 weeks but this is my first post here. I know how you feel I lost 7lbs over the first 2 weeks, 5lbs the first week and 2 the second, weighed myself this morning and haven’t lost anything. Been logging my food every day, my calories are set at just under 1500 and most days I’m under that sometimes by 100 calories and sometimes just by a couple but I’m gutted not to see the scales move this week. Determined not to give up but it can be a bit soul destroying when you know you’ve stuck to your calories and not lost x

But that 7lbs in the first week is probably exaggerated (i.e.mostly water weight loss) don't you think? That works out to a deficit of 3500 calories a day. I don't know what your calorie goal was but if you were eating 1200 calories a day (the minimum), your maintenance goal would have had to be 4700 to have a 3500 deficit. Or something less than that but a huge calorie burn from exercise.

My guess would be that you have regained some of the water weight from the first week and probably now losing actual fat, but the scale can't show you that.
  • Xypher2
    Xypher2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for more comments (and that woo-er, I was expecting you), the article was helpful too. I guess I was just being impatient and this is the push I needed to keep going.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When the scale isn't dropping I bust out the measuring tape. I went through a few weeks where I didn't really lose much weight but my waiste went down still. As long as the tape shows me getting skinny I don't care much what the scale tells me.

If neither is moving then I might start looking into it more.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think this explains it the best:

tv3mTVK.jpg