Week Two and Not Losing

Options
Hi everyone. I am in week two of my weight loss goal. I started at 162 lbs. and my goal after 14 weeks is 135. I really love the myfittnesspal food and exercise diaries, they have kept me on track like never before. I have met my food plans almost every day, and have been right on with my daily calorie goals and exercises. My only problem is that I have gained one pound, instead of losing. I expected during the first week to stay level, but to gain? I am drinking plenty of water, running/walking every day anywhere from 1.25 miles to 4 miles. If anyone else has encountered this, at what point do you tweak what you are doing to see if things change? or should I just stick with my routine and keep going indefinitely?

Replies

• apenabaz
    Options
    Everybody is different. I would give your new routine a few weeks before giving up on it. Sometimes it takes the body time to figure out what is going on. If after the end of week 3 or 4 you still don't see results, then I would revise your plan. Good luck!
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think that your body can initially react in strange ways to a sudden change in your routine. But stay the course, and your body will get used to it and start losing. Think of this as a permanent lifestyle change!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    is it your TOM? That can make a difference, also have you reassessed your goals since loss? go in and check them as mine didn't auto update? this might change your calorie goal? did for me
  • bj27
    bj27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    stick with your starting routine but you have up it and change it constantly to get your heart rate up when you exercise to burn calories,,, it takes a 3500 cal burn to lose 1 lb of fat.. so when you stay below your calorie intake of food the extra you have each day needs to add up to 3500 at the end of the week if you want to see a change... plus remember muscle weighs more than fat a better indicator at the start is measurements rather than the scale, take yours - waist, hips, chest, thigh, bicep...and re-measure after another 2 weeks..
    good luck , any exercise you do is more than the person sitting on their couch !!!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    You may be trying to lose too much too fast. At the rate of weight loss indicated it seems that you would be set at 2lbs loss/week, if so you should consider changing this to 1lb/week. As you are fairly close to your goal weight (relatively) you need to lose at a slower weight.... BUT this works! I started 24 weeks ago at 165 and I am now at 146.5 (18.5 lbs). Contrary to what we have always been taught you need to eat to lose. If you are not eating enough then you won't lose (you will be in starvation mode). There is ALOT of information about this on here. You may also want to look at your sodium, going over will make the scale go up. Good Luck!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Once you put in all the info into mfp and they gave you your daily caloric goal you must be setup for roughly 2 pounds a week to achieve that goal in 14 weeks, unless you are short (under 5ft 4) I would say that the goal is pretty ambitious and most likely not achievable in a healthy manner as the body will cooperate less and less with rapid weight loss once you get below 20% bodyfat which is the healthy amount for a woman. It can be done do not get me wrong but I would not recommend it as you did not gain the weight overnight and you will no shed it overnight either. The number 1 mistake I see on here is that people get confused as to how mfp is setup. MFP has you setup to shed that weight goal with no exercise and that is why you are supposed to eat back the exercise calories so if you are not doing so I would recommend that you do eat them back. If for no other reason than recovery as the body requires some calories to help you heal from workouts. You should focus less on the scale weight and more on body composition as the scale is a piss poor means of tracking true progress, measurements and bodyfat % is the way to track true progress. Far to many women I know eat as little as possible, workout like crazy and hit that wall with their progress, or set a scale weight which are unrealistic given what a healthy weight should be for them.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Intensify your workout a bit..walk faster..more like a power walk.
    Burn more calories than you take in but at the same time you'll need to make sure you're eating enough..its weird but if you don't eat enough you won't lose...
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    this happened to me when I first started. For the first week I did nothing but gaining weight despite all my efforts. However, now on week four the weight is starting to go down. I also started doing more cardio and less strength training.
  • TazzyDB
    TazzyDB Posts: 224
    Options
    I lost the first week I lost weight and then I went a week without losing anything despite staying on track. Then all of the sudden, it started again. I think it may have something to do with a new lifestyle and my body "adjusting" to it. Stick with it--you'll be fine!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    That's not uncommon. The 1 lb weight gain is likely just water. No matter how much water you drink, what you eat or how much you exercise your body will occasionally retain water. It's completely normal for anyone to see 1 - 2 lb fluctuations throughout any given day. It took about 3.5 weeks for me to start losing weight, then it was a steady loss for months. Just stick with it.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would recommend watching out for added salts and sugars in your foods, they can kill your metabolism
  • JULIEICAC
    JULIEICAC Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had no idea I was actually suppose to eat all of those extra calories earned from exercise. Though, I am genuinely not hungry for more food as I eat five small meals a day, so I never really feel empty. I could try adding a post work out snack, but since I workout in the evenings, I don't think I should eat and go to bed right away. I am 5"5" and have no problem extending my weight loss plan if it is healthier, but I can honestly say, I feel good food and activity wise.

Maybe for me, staying away from the scale for a couple of weeks would actually be better for my mindset. I guess, i will just give it time and adjust accordingly. Thank you for all of the tips.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 week stall coz of my period, my trainer said that some women can go as far as putting on 6 lb during their cycle :) the day I got mine I lost 3 lb!