Restaurant Nutrtional Guides

Options
Before we go out to dinner I always check either MFP or the restaurant website for calorie/nutritional info. Last night it was a spur of the moment decision and I didn't get a chance... The restaurant we ended up at doesn't supply any of this info!! I was shocked..I thought it was mandated that eateries supply some kind of info regarding at least fat and calories. When I got home and checked the website nothing was available. Just venting!!

Replies

• vickigee
    vickigee Posts: 36
    Options
    I always take my own salad dressing as some don't have a fat free dressing that way you can order a salad with there dressing with the dressing on the side and a chicken breast without the skin that grilled with veggies of some sort. You just have to use the wisest choice and if all else fails use the salad choice with your dressing. You can always add the extra calories you need when you get home.
    I don't know the regulations on the postings.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That rule has been in place for fast food restaurants for a long time -- Clinton presidency, I believe. Earlier this year the FDA mandated that Corporate chain restaurants (the Chili's, Applebee's, etc.'s of the world) also provide that data. Most already do on the web and I love the look on the servers' face when I ask to see it at the restaurant.

Locally owned, single store restaurants, I believe, are exempt from the rule.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I believe these guidelines only apply to chain restaurants (and some other restaurants provide it because they're good sports). It is definitely frustrating. That said, you can get good at finding things on a menu that are baked, broiled, steamed, seared instead of fried, breaded, etc. You can also ask a waiter to have a dish with light/no oil.
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This was a chain... Rain Forest Cafe. Oh well I won't be going back.
  • Rosie_66
    Rosie_66 Posts: 27
    Options
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    Carrabba's refuses to give nutritional information. I was lucky enough to find some info from a third party on the internet, but I think that's bad to not have that information readily available. I got the grilled chicken marsala with grilled veggies, but my boyfriend got the Pasta Weezie. Over 1,400 calories!!! And I don't even know how much fat. He never gains an ounce :'(
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that the nutritional rule only applied to chains with over 20 locations??
    Or maybe that is the new rule supposed to take effect next year when it comes to restaurants putting calories on the menu?

The local restaurants do make it hard to track calories. Typically what I will do is think of a similar chain restaurant similar to the local one I am eating at and then go off their menu for recording what I ate, making modifications as needed. For example, ate at a local steakhouse....used Lone Star Steakhouse menu to get a starting ground for logging the calories in MFP.