Family Meal or cook for one?

Options
Just wonderd how people manage to cook for a family or do you cook your own food separately?
For instance, I have made a big pot of veg soup, all ingrediants were weighed & I divide that figure which I then write in my diary. But, I'm just wondering once its all cooked & dished out, I dont actually know if, for example, I have had 100 grm of potato or not.
Not that worried I just wonderd how people work it out who cook for a family?

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Much of the time I cook my own food seperately. I'm not a picky eater and I can cook a batch of lean protein or make some tuna salad for dinner and eat it for several days running. My wife and son don't want to do that and I can't blame them. On the days we do eat together, I weigh and measure my portions. That soup would be a challenge if everyone's eating out of the same pot. If you don't cook soups or casseroles or whatnot very often, do your best estimation when you do have them. In the big picture, a rare instance of being a little off in your calculations isn't going to mean anything. When you've weighed and measured long enough, your ability to estimate will be quite accurate.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone!
    I do most of the cooking & we all have the same, at the same time, I think its nice to sit & eat together while we can, one day it will change when our sons are working & all get in at different times, but for now it works.
    Our meals are sometimes meat & veg so thats easy to calorie count, as I weigh mine out as I'm putting in on my plate. I use a slow cooker some days & it just got me thinking thats all.
    Thanks for the comments
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    Theres 2 options for dinner in my house. Its called eat it or go hungry.

Im not running a resturant. I cook once and adjust portion sizes according to peoples needs

Same here, they rarely go hungry, might not eat all of what is put in front off them, but then we have fruit & snacks if anyone wants them :)
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what the best food scale to use for measuring out the portion size of your food I'm new at this so I'm trying to get the hang of it to make sure I get the right amount of calories so I don't go over. Want a good scale but when I can afford

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking, so I family cook. I use the recipe builder a lot and weigh the sum of everything after cooking so that 1g=1 serving and weigh the number of grams that fit my calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what the best food scale to use for measuring out the portion size of your food I'm new at this so I'm trying to get the hang of it to make sure I get the right amount of calories so I don't go over. Want a good scale but when I can afford

I got a simple OXO brand scale from Wal-Mart. No need to get top of the line. Right now they seem to be priced between $30 and $90.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Actually the detachable faceplate OXO *is* the top of the line, and substantially more expensive than some of the (not as handy but still functional more often than not) stuff on Amazon.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your question is less about trying to balance different food preferences and calorie requirements for different family members and more about how to accurately log things that have multiple ingredients and multiple servings in the same pot - is that correct?;

As others have said - use the recipe builder and a food scale - there are stickied posts in the top of the forum sections about how to log accurately.

Good luck!
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    We mostly eat the same things but I'll have more salad or veggies than my husband and kids.

I use the recipe builder a lot, as described above and weigh the finished product to work out my portion before I start serving up.
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I use this one. AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Digital Kitchen Scale with LCD Display (Batteries Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9NQ8GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_dRSRAbJFZ1PFV
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    Thanks everyone, what is this recipe builder some of you mention? It sounds handy.
    Do I find it in the app or website?