What weekly weight loss goal should I set?

Options
I need to lose 150 lbs to hit my goal. If I set 2 lbs a week, I can eat 2,600 calories a day, at 1 lb a week, I can eat 3,100 calories a day. Should I set my goal to 1lb, or 2lbs given the amount I need to lose?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    2lbs is fine
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Well done for asking the question! That’s one of the big things people get wrong :)

The more you have to lose, the more you can lose in a week. You can lose 2 lbs per week, unlike many who try it! So I’d set it at that, and after a couple of weeks see how it’s going and adjust if you have to.

When you get closer to your goal you’ll have to slow down, but you can worry about that when you get there :)
  • lisaharrington01
    lisaharrington01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would start with the 1 lb. a week plan to start. It will be easier to be successful and to gain momentum. After a month or two this plan will feel easy. At that point I would move to the 2 lb. a week plan.
  • janelleginnetto
    janelleginnetto Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congratulations on starting your journey. The general rule is 75 pounds or more 2 lbs per week. 50 -75 1.5 lbs per week. 25 -50 1 lb per week and below 25 .5 per week. Of course that is not set in stone, but it is a good general idea of where to have your weight loss.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What i'm personally doing myself is aiming for 3 pounds a week, but expecting 1 a week. It's working like a charm at the moment. :)