Biking instead of running?

Options
Hi guys,
I was told by my doc that I need to put off running for the whole August. For a cardio workout he recommended biking.
Does anyone know if biking is a good substitute for running? I mean, will my running form decrease much without training? I'm already signed up for two 10Ks in October and I really don't want to mess them up.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    As far as your form goes . . . well I don't run a lot, so I can't really say. If you've got it down right now though a month off shouldn't affect it that much.

I find it harder to get my heart rate as high on the bike as I do while running. You may notice a slight decrease in your endurance unless you really hit the bike hard.

The question is - is riding a bike for a month gonna screw up your running more than whatever damage you'd do running against doctors orders?? :smile:
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I know that even if I don't run for only a week, it's harder the next week. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but everyone's different and usually when I have the week off, I'm not biking either. Swimming with sprints will increase your heart rate =)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hilly cycles will get your heart rate going as much as running.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It'll still get your heart rate up, though probably not to the same extent, and it still works a lot of the same muscle groups. However, I find when I had to stop running from a sprained ankle (and I cycled instead), I did find running a bit harder when I restarted. I guess that depends on how fit you are etc. Your form should be the same when you go back to it though, but I'd suggest easing back into it gently, especially if you have a medical reason to stop running.
  • sgriddler
    sgriddler Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Find somewhere hilly to ride. You will have no problem getting your heart rate up.
    With cycling you can put as much or as little effort in on a ride. Which makes it great for al fitness levels.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Biking will be better than nothing at all.
    Do you have access to a pool, and if so ask your doc if you can run in the pool. Or swim laps too.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Take some spin classes. If you put the effort in, you can easily get just as good of a workout as running.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    might sound controversial but it might actually improve your speed and endurance.
    You need to make sure that you still work hard and sweat!
    I cross-train a lot and have found that once you've established your endurance&mileage for your races, using other exercises can be very beneficial. I have done many 10ks and a few halfs and will be training for a marathon in a few months, and actually found that it is the circuit/spinning and weight training i do, that has improved my pace and endurance the most.
    Distance running is often more mental than physical and as long as your body is strong and fit you should be fine not running for a month as long as the race isn't the following week and you have a few weeks grace to get back to running beforehand.
    Good luck.:wink:
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Your speed may drop, your form shouldnt, if you do the same style of biking (hills, speed workouts, long workouts) as you should do for running
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Biggest issue is effort. You can coast and cruise on a bike, but not while running.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Find a hilly route and you will get a good workout. Headwinds are good too for this... energy sapping. Sit in the saddle and spin up hills for cardio or get out and dance on the pedals a bit to work on leg muscles (and also help mix it up, so it's not so painful). Oooh, I am rubbish at climbing but descending.... :devil:
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find that an hour long spin (I.C.E.) class keeps the heart rate up, I had to stop running for a couple of years (auto accident) and found that spin helped me get back into running and maintain some of my stamina.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    might sound controversial but it might actually improve your speed and endurance.
    You need to make sure that you still work hard and sweat!
    I cross-train a lot and have found that once you've established your endurance&mileage for your races, using other exercises can be very beneficial. I have done many 10ks and a few halfs and will be training for a marathon in a few months, and actually found that it is the circuit/spinning and weight training i do, that has improved my pace and endurance the most.
    Distance running is often more mental than physical and as long as your body is strong and fit you should be fine not running for a month as long as the race isn't the following week and you have a few weeks grace to get back to running beforehand.
    Good luck.:wink:

I agree! Biking is great cross training. I was a mentor for a season of team in training triathlon training. A girl on the team said that due to the biking and swimming, she took 13 minutes off her half marathon time. You can do intervals and hills to get your heart rate up.