Breakfast Ideas?

Options
Today is the first day to my new journey! However, I haven’t went shopping for food so I’ve decided to eat what’s here. Which consist of two homemade sausage biscuits (which I feel like is a terrible choice) can anyone give recommendations on what I should start eating regurlarly for breakfast. I know egg whites is something, but is there anything else?

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You don't have to restrict yourself to traditional breakfast foods. What do you like to eat that fits your goals?

Lately I've been having an avocado burrito (mashed up and wrapped in a high fiber tortilla). Love em.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    M_Shay2414 wrote: »
    Today is the first day to my new journey! However, I haven’t went shopping for food so I’ve decided to eat what’s here. Which consist of two homemade sausage biscuits (which I feel like is a terrible choice) can anyone give recommendations on what I should start eating regurlarly for breakfast. I know egg whites is something, but is there anything else?

That's okay. Some people use leftovers from the previous day's dinner as breakfast.

Why do you think your sausage biscuits are a terrible choice? Are they extremely high in calories? Counting calories is what we do here, so if that plus your other meals fit into your total calorie allowance for the day, then it's an okay choice.
  • SkinnyMindStarve
    SkinnyMindStarve Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    M_Shay2414 wrote: »

I hate eating in the morning. I always have either two pieces of toast with some almond butter or smashed avocado with a fruit and some cashew milk/fat free milk.

Eat whatever you want as long as you stay within your calories.

I stay clear from certain foods just because I feel like crap after I eat them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are terribly sad. In my opinion they are comparable to cooked, rubbery boogers. When I eat eggs, I make sure to include at least one yolk in the mix.

Eat what you like for breakfast, if you even like eating in the morning. I don't like eating in the morning, but have started taking medication in the morning that I need to have with food - I have protein iced coffee (coffee, ice, protein powder, coconut butter, water, whizzed up).
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Well, you could try a tofu scramble - add some onions, garlic, tomatoes, capsicum and spinach; then mushrooms on toast with fresh basil plus some guac or avo on toast. Top this off with a banana/almond milk shake and you should be well set to have a wonderful morning. I'm not sure you are after the same nutrients I am though - this is my iron/calcium/protein starter.

Or just eat whatever it is YOU fancy!
  • sarahscott9064
    sarahscott9064 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m boring. For my morning meal, it’s generally a scoop of Quest protein powder (chocolate is delicious), mixed with a cup of cold coffee and a cup of skim milk. All for about 200 calories. And it tastes like a delicious iced mocha! Shake it up in my blender bottle and good to go!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly normally in the morning. Try this, it's not gross.

2 eggs scrambled with a handful of spinach and some feta. Blueberries. Depending on how much of the spinach, feta and berries 250 - 300 calories and lots of nutrients.
  • freespirit6315
    freespirit6315 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not really a fan of eating in the morning I do on occasion but mostly I wait until lunch I know some people think that's bad but it's just the way I am what do you think is it okay to skip breakfast I know they say breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day but what if you don't like eating that early..
  • Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast or I'm useless for the entire day, but that's just me. Breakfast for me is either a container of full-fat yogurt and a cup of berries or a serving of oatmeal with a tablespoon of raisins and 1/4 cup of whole milk.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are taking the first step on a weight loss journey, don’t go all gung-ho full on over the top health conscious as you might be less likely to keep it up. Take a look at your total calories for the day and how you could apportion them to meals and snacks.

So I have a lot of weight to lose and followed various fad diets that have points allocated to foods and I never last that long as feel restricted on them. So since 1st Feb I decided to follow MFP and if I want a pie or piece of pizza I can have it, I just learn to moderate the other meals accordingly. (As it happens, the only unsatisfying meal I have had so far consisted of pizza!). I have lost 15lb so far.

I am eating good nutritious foods, but learning what a proper portion size is. I also include some processed foods as well as it stops this feeling like a ‘diet’

I allocate approx. 400 calories towards breakfast which might be porridge (oatmeal) made with almond milk, sliced banana & peanut butter, sardines on toast, omelette on a wholewheat wrap, poached egg, ham and baked beans on a slice of toast or avocado and egg on toast. Some mornings I might just have a yoghurt and fruit if I know I plan on making pie, mash, peas and gravy for tea
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually something very close to this:

2 slices of toast (Dave's Killer Bread) - each topped with an egg and a serving of egg whites scrambled together, and 2 ounces of some kind of meat (turkey bacon or sausage, roast beef, sliced turkey, etc.)

1 serving of Greek yogurt, often with a serving of Fiber One cereal mixed in.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love to eat 2 scrambled eggs with 2 slices of bacon. I some times add onions and sweet peppers with a sprinkle of extra sharp cheese to my eggs. Coffee a table spoon of non dairy creamer and 3 splendas. Keeps me full until lunch time
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    An egg, poached in salsa, with a sprinkle of low-fat cheese, and wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have a few things on rotation. Flavored greek yogurt, two eggs or egg whites scrambled with a bunch of sauteed veg (spinach, zucchini, onion, asparagus, tomatoes, etc), some kind of cereal with low fat milk, or I'll make a breakfast burrito. All depends on what I feel like. And always coffee.
  • Lizardybits
    Lizardybits Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on what you normally eat for breakfast, what your total calories are, and how many calories you need to get going in the morning. I *need* calories first thing, but have to get some fat and/or protein in there too or I'll crash before lunch. So I usually have a cup of coffee and toast or an english muffin with either full-fat cream cheese or an egg and cheese, depending on how hungry I am and what my timing looks like. It averages between 250-400 calories, which is big enough to get me going, but small enough to leave room in my calorie count for a snack.

On the weekends I tend to do brunch, snack, dinner, so my meals are bigger. Usually a two egg scramble with veggies and toast or whole wheat pancakes with fresh fruit. Sometimes some kind of meat if it's going to be a busy day. This is nearly half my daily calories, but if my snack is low-cal and dinner is protein-heavy I'm usually set.

It took me a long time to let go of "perfect" and aim for "slightly better than I was eating when I was gaining weight." I wish you luck in your journey.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Coffee and a small amount of fruit - maybe with yoghurt and a small amount of oats - sigh 39 y o inactive job female here!
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I’m a big fan of overnight oatmeal, so many ways to modify it to your liking. And all the prep is done the night before or even days before (I make 4 days worth at a time), so it’s ready to go whenever I need it.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I like to meal prep my breakfast! Protein pancakes and microwavable turkey sausage is one of my favorites.

Ingredients needed:
    * Any pancake mix where all you have to do is add water - I use half the amount if prepping for 1 person
    * 1 scoop of Isopure Unflavored Protein
    * Add a little more water than what's called for in pancake directions to get the batter to desired consistency
    * 1-2 tsp vanilla extract.
    * Bob Evan or Jimmy Dean Microwavable Turkey Sausage (links of patties)
    * Sugar Free Maple Syrup (if it's made with Splenda will taste more like regular syrup) I recommend Smuckers

After preparing let them cool and store in storage bags. Then all you have to do is grab a baggie, tear off 2 sausage patties or 3 links, throw in the microwave and there's a high protein relatively low calorie breakfast.

You can get a TON of breakfast meal prep ideas online!

• jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs and bacon and a fruit almost every morning.