Strawberry Banana Smoothie

Options
I found this receipe in the coupon insert of last Sunday's paper:
1 cup Vanilla Almond Breeze Almondmilk
3/4 cup Dole Pineapple Juice
1 cup frozen Dole Sliced Strawberries
2 ripe Medium Bananas
The only ingredient substitution that I made was I used plain almond milk which was 60 calories per cup verses the vanilla which was 90 calories per cup. The pineapple juice was 100 calories as 3/4 was the entire can(I used the small cans that come in the 6 pack). The strawberries were 50 calories and the bananas were 220 each. When the smoothie was prepared it filled up an entire 16 oz cup plus a little extra. So the total calories for the smoothie is 430. One thing that I was confused about was that the receipe did not indicate how many servings. I am assuming that it is for one serving because most smoothie receipes are for one.

Replies

• veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yum. The only thing that could make it better? Freeze the bananas! Then it's like an ice cream shake.
  • leglenn
    leglenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The bananas are 110 calories each for 220 total. Your smoothie is actually 110 calories less than you calculated.
  • leglenn
    leglenn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oops, I'm the one who can't add. You misspoke when you used the word "each," but you added in the right amount (220), so your total (430) is correct. Just ignore me.
  • theaterfan23
    theaterfan23 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Is there any other way that I could make this with a few less calories?
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I make smoothies all the time. I consider a serving to be 8-12oz, because they can be calorie dense when you add 100% juice, yogurt and milk to the fruit. However, I will drink 16ozs as a meal. Here's one that I enjoy as an after dinner or after workout treat when I have calories left:

FRUIT SHAKE
    1/2 medium frozen banana (53 calories), add 53 more calories to the recipe for the whole banana
    1 cup Dole frozen fruit blend (peaches, mango, strawberries, pineapple) (93 calories)
    1 cup Silk soy milk organic unsweetened (80 calories)
    1 6oz container Dannon light and fit yogurt, any flavor (I like lemon) (80 calories)
    1 scoop Jillian Michaels vanilla protein powder (100 calories)
    1/2 cup purified water (more if necessary)

406 calories for the entire blenderful (101 calories for an 8 oz serving)
    9 g fiber, 6g fat, 1113 mg potassium, 50 g cholesterol, 214 mg sodium

203 calories each for 2 ~ 16 oz cups, approximately (maybe 18 ozs)
    5 g fiber, 3g fat, 557mg potassium, 25 g cholesterol, 107 mg sodium

Tastes like the best ice cream shake and you are very satisfied after drinking it because of the protein.

~theaterfan23~ Pineapple juice is VERY sweet, you could probably get away with using 1/4 cup, one ripe banana (also very sweet) is enough, just freeze it first, use water to thin the smoothie. Frozen fruits always make the smoothie thicker.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Try it with one banana, then you won't need so much juice...dropping the calories!!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Is there any other way that I could make this with a few less calories?

Use one banana. I LOVE bananas but they're a quick way to add extra calories so I try keeping the bananas to a small one or half of a big one instead.