Eating out

Options
biche896
biche896 Posts: 261 Member
One my weakest points would be resisting temptations when eating lunch out. As I eat out quite often, it’s a big challenge for me.

Does anyone have tips when it comes to eating out ? To control your portions? To say no when you know you shouldn’t eat anymore?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You eat out regularly, and that means it's not an exciting one-time event that you have to get the most out of. So eat like you would at home. You've counted calories for a while, right? Then you already know how large an appropriate portion of anything is. Then lose the shoulds and shouldn'ts. Food guilt paired with feelings of food scarcity leads you into overeating.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I eat out on a regular basis too.
    My tips:
    Water ensure that you have a feeling of full before going to the restaurant
    Soups (go for the vegetable bothy types) as a starter
    Certain fish (know your fish) preferably grilled
    Go for a starter as a main

If all else fails eat half and take the rest home
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If its a chain you can look up menu and calories of items and then make the commitment at that point.
    Its in your ball court! The need to lose weight has to outweigh the need to overeat. Only you can make that decision.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I heard about eating out was drink at least one full glass of ice water before you start eating. The reasons I was given were 1) your body will want to warm up the water, so it gets your metabolism going before you eat any calories 2) people tend to mistake dehydration for hunger, so by hydrating ourselves we tend to feel full quicker.
    Most restaurant foods are going to have higher sodium levels than things you make fresh, so factor that in if you have blood pressure issues.
    If the place you are eating has their nutritional information available, do some research, especially if you are going to eat there a lot.
    For portion control, ask for a to-go box with your meal. That way you can take half of it off your plate and save it for later.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Order less and eat SLOWLY if you're by yourself. Think about the texture and taste of every bite & swallow before shoveling in more. Don't make eating a race. If you're really hungry after you're done (not just satisfying a craving) you can order more. Make sure your food is seasoned properly (watch the salt!) and enjoy every bite!

Good luck!
  • BryanHoffman74
    BryanHoffman74 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    don t, easier said than done. I special order and ask for substitute a lot.
  • biche896
    Options
    thanks guys..so how did i go this weekend?

well i read every comment. reminded myself that its just like every other meal regardless of location, drank water, preplanned my meals and i took my time eating..
    did it pan out the way i planned it? no. i was good at first. picked mainly protein and vegies. then a second helping led to third, fourth, fifth etc and by that time i no longer kept count and the plan was out the window...THEN instead of stopping i thought 'well whats the point? since I havent ate well today and I havent had these food in a long time,lets just go for it!' So there was the crackers, cheese, desserts etc...

Obviously I'm very bloated today with all the sodium and excess food.

But one thing I realised was I never asked myself 'how badly do I want to achieve my goals' yesterday? So my willpower flew out the window...I need to learn to flex that willpower muscle more...
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Second, third, fourth, fifth helping??? Where are you having lunch? A buffet?

Any other options “out”?
  • lyssalosesit
    lyssalosesit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It really is hard to cut out fast food. It’s so easy and usually tastes better and takes up less time. I try to go places I know I can eat somewhat healthier without being bored, or try and plan my days around those calories. Eat half, even if still hungry and eat other half when you’re really really hungry.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's about making smart choices. I eat out all the time and I don't have a problem. You have to be realistic with yourself. As much as you try to deny it, that bowl of mac and cheese is not 400 calories like a frozen portion of one. And that sandwich is far too large for 1 meal. And those fries that come with it shouldn't be eaten just because they are free. The chef didn't just use 1 tbsp of mayo like you would at home. That is not fat free cheese in that enchilada. Those taco shells are coated in oil. That "cup" of a side of rice is not a cup, it's actually 2 cups.

When I eat out, I look for meals that I can easily dissect so I can see the ingredients. Also, get used to leaving food behind. It's okay not to clear your plate. You're not the one wasting food; it's the restaurants fault for serving too big of a portion.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Order a to-go box with your meal. Put half in your to-go box before you eat. That satisfies your portion control and keeps your spending down if you remember to take your leftovers home.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this in a cruel way but it sounds like you should not go to buffet restaurants, at least not for now. I used to go out to Chinese buffet (just for example) and really could not stop myself from that third or even fourth round, and I'd leave feeling bloated and awful. The very idea of "unlimited" crab rangoon was enough to send any control out the window. Now after years of changing my habits and logging food on MFP, I go in with a game plan, eat a plate full of salad & veggies first and then do small portions of seafood & chicken, with no rice or noodles...ask myself if I really want dessert and then get 1 small indulgent thing and some fruit. Very yummy, and still higher volume than my normal meals...but I couldn't have done that 6 years ago.

My main thing is just not eating any chips or bread that come with my meal. If I get a burger I usually eat 1/2 bun and get double meat. I eat vegetarian about 90% of the time so when I am in a restaurant it's my opportunity to eat meat and I enjoy it.

Most important: Do what works for you. If I get a to go box with 1/2 my meal "for later" it never makes it to the next day, I just eat it hovering between the sink and fridge a few hours later...pointless. Works for many people though!
  • biche896
    Options
    Second, third, fourth, fifth helping??? Where are you having lunch? A buffet?

Any other options “out”?

Actually no. Ive avoided buffets so havent been to any. Just shared meals so that means I'm constantly picking at it esp when its just sitting there in front of me.
  • biche896
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    It's about making smart choices. I eat out all the time and I don't have a problem. You have to be realistic with yourself. As much as you try to deny it, that bowl of mac and cheese is not 400 calories like a frozen portion of one. And that sandwich is far too large for 1 meal. And those fries that come with it shouldn't be eaten just because they are free. The chef didn't just use 1 tbsp of mayo like you would at home. That is not fat free cheese in that enchilada. Those taco shells are coated in oil. That "cup" of a side of rice is not a cup, it's actually 2 cups.

When I eat out, I look for meals that I can easily dissect so I can see the ingredients. Also, get used to leaving food behind. It's okay not to clear your plate. You're not the one wasting food; it's the restaurants fault for serving too big of a portion.

Thank you! I need to remind myself that its ok if i dont clear my plate.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's okay if you eat an appetizer versus big entree.

So, this is California, it's not Nebraska: beef broth soup and kale salad! Which, BTW, make excellent food choices.

archetypenapa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Web-Dinner-Menu-3-10-2018.pdf
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    biche896 wrote: »
    thanks guys..so how did i go this weekend?

well i read every comment. reminded myself that its just like every other meal regardless of location, drank water, preplanned my meals and i took my time eating..
    did it pan out the way i planned it? no. i was good at first. picked mainly protein and vegies. then a second helping led to third, fourth, fifth etc and by that time i no longer kept count and the plan was out the window...THEN instead of stopping i thought 'well whats the point? since I havent ate well today and I havent had these food in a long time,lets just go for it!' So there was the crackers, cheese, desserts etc...

Obviously I'm very bloated today with all the sodium and excess food.

But one thing I realised was I never asked myself 'how badly do I want to achieve my goals' yesterday? So my willpower flew out the window...I need to learn to flex that willpower muscle more...

I think I can see a very common pattern here. You try to behave, but you also need good taste, so when your appetite awakens, you try to fight your desires, and when you feel that you can't control yourself, you give up and give in, which confirms, in your mind, that you're unable to control yourself, so you start to fear eating out, but it's also a relief from your strict diet, so you look forward to it, and seek it out.

All those weightloss and health goals in the future become very vague, they mean absolutely nothing, set up against the gratifying and very immediate and available buffet of all the delights you feel you're not allowed to indulge in.

You start out with the intention of "being good". You pick "protein and vegies".
    What would happen if you instead asked yourself "what do I want on this menu, what do I like most? how much do I need to make me going until next meal"?

You can't use willpower to resist a basic urge like eating. You can't muster discipline to stick to an unreasonable deal. That's where you'll sabotage yourself. It's only when your needs are met, that you are truly free to pick and choose which wants you're going to fulfill today.