What’s your workout schedule?

Options
2»

Replies

• swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    M, W and F - Spartan body weight exercises - 40 minutes, a variety of routines (never the same in a 2 week span)
    T and Th - treadmill, running for 40 minutes, working on speed.
    Sat - I am training for a marathon in April so I have been doing my long runs on Saturdays since mid February - I do 15 - 20 miles each Saturday.
    I am eating like a horse so my weight is holding fairly steady, with only minimal loss. The runger is real!
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just read an article recently that with lots of cardio or super hard crazy workouts your body will compensate by burning less calories other times. This may not at all be whats going on here, but when I read it, it reminded me. Maybe try lifting for a few weeks with shorter HIIT cardio time. (Which is that short but hard cardio time). A good lifting book is called the new rules of weight lifting for women. I love it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike today for one hour and told MYFitnessPal that it was moderate cycling. It tells me I burned more than 860 calories. that can't be right, can it? Seems like an awful lot. So I only recoded 30 minutes, and it tells me I burned 432 calories in 30 minutes. Shouldn't it be more like maybe 200-250? Thanks

@Michaelxyz2

Apart from duration you haven't given any clues about what your cycling was - speed, distance, your weight, terrain, type of bike.....
    Both 860 and 400 an hour are within the range of possible for different people and intensity - but you would have to be remarkably fit to hit the high number.

But from experience yes MFP cycling estimates are inflated for road bikes (if that's what you are riding).
    Ride a mountain bike on sand for the same speed/distance and it would be different.
    Suggest you get Strava (free app) on your phone, the estimates will then be far more personalised and if not completely accurate they should be reasonable.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    M: I work very physical job after work 25 min stretch routine
    T: boot camp class
    W: insanity
    Th: boot camp class
    F: insanity
    S: I work very physical job after work 25 min stretch routine
    Su: I work very physical job after work 25 min stretch routine

Sometimes I do my stretch on Tuesday or Fridays depending on how I feel.
  • BusyMamaGettingFit
    BusyMamaGettingFit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Mon- run; strength training
    Tues - run; strength training
    Wed - strength training only
    Thurs - run; strength
    Fri - strength training only
    Saturday - long run (100-120 mins)

I work out 6 days a week and do about 1 hour of cardio 3 days a week the same day as strength training for about 2 hours total exercise on these days and 2 hours cardio on sat long run day.

OP, if you are not losing weight its not due to the exercise you doing, its a combination of 'calories in' and possible water retention, etc. so many factors at play. Always check 100% accuracy on your logging and assure you not eating back too many calories from your exercise. This can be the difference in keeping you in or out of deficit and if the deficit ends up small any fat loss will be slower.

Also if you have been in a calorie deficit steadily for months with no break from the deficit, consider doing a diet break/refeed. This will allow to go to maintenance for a couple of weeks and then resume your calorie deficit again to start losing the other 50.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

eta: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Plateaus-Sep-2014-AARR.pdf

Do you do full body everyday, or do you do split days?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Monday : 30min PT session (stretching/cardio), tabata, barbell (currently going light as in no weight at all for leg tracks)
    Tuesday : 30min PT (abs/cardio), Zumba, Insanity, Boxercise
    Wednesday : 30min PT (stretching), 5km recovery run, legs bums +tums, Zumba
    Thursday : 30min PT (upper body/cardio), lifting (either OHP or bench pyramids plus accs, Circuits
    Friday : 30min PT (Cardio), legs bums + tums, mid length run (8-12km)
    Saturday : Bootcamp
    Sunday : long run

But I'm doing a marathon in 2 weeks and we're currently not doing much leg work other than running, once I've had a week (or so) to recover everything will be switched round I'll reintroduce heavy lifting (squats and deadlifts) and be doing at least one leg focused session with PT.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    Also, my personal schedule is ridiculous and not to be generally emulated.

I work out between 14-18 hours a week on my bike. 3 hours active recovery, the rest is moderate, with two hours hard.

Plus I do 150-200 push ups every night:

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5058093

I used a pseudonym on my Strava account.

People really have no idea what the body can handle. No idea at all. I rode 3 hours hard yesterday and feel good today. It just takes time. Tomorrow (Monday) is always easy.

John
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Here's my weekly routine and I exercise not so much for weight lose but to keep muscle. I have read bigger, leaner, stronger by michael matthews that has some good insight on amount of gym time needed and a lot is not needed. I do about 45-60 minutes a day at the gym
    Mon/Wed/Sat 30 Minutes all body lifting heavy short reps with short rest between
    T/F 30 minutes heavy cardio not quite HIIT but a hard circuit at least
    H/Sun are rest/easy days 20 or so minutes of steady state cardio

also every day do 18 minutes cardio after my regular workout, plus usually a stretching/yoga time. Also try to get a walk/hike in every few days. I according to my logging only get 400-600 calories burned so not a significant amount but I am much stronger now and the lean muscle % is rising every day.