10 Day Juice Fast

Options
I'm starting a 10 Day Juice Fast next week. I'm a novice to juicing so any advice would be appreciated!!!
When: Aug 15th thru Aug 24th. How: Buying an inexpensive juicer from Wal-Mart and fresh fruits/veggies. Found recipes online for Apple Pear, Carrot-Kale Combo, Green Lemonade, All Green, Mean Green juices Why: Another MFP member wrote about watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I watched it and was inspired to jump start a healthier diet.

Please respond if you would like to join me or you have advice --especially for budgeting for this kind of diet, good juicing books, as well as how often I should be drinking juices. Also, if you've ever juiced please share your story!

Replies

• eau_de_vie
    eau_de_vie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I saw that and wanted to do a juice fast too. You may be just the motivation I need.
  • vfinkenstadt
    Options
    I use fasting, including liquid, as a part of my nutritional discipline. It works for me. 10 days is a long time - do check with your doctor about it. Your digestion will be affected - important technique is how you break your fast. What plan are you using?

My favorite juices: carrot-apple-ginger and kale-romaine-spinach-parsley-lemon.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    I haven't checked with my doctor. I figure if I can eat crap food for 10 days without checking with my doctor, why check when switching to more nutrients? But like I said, I'm a novice so perhaps I don't realize the severity. Everything I know I watched on Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I know it'll be tough to do this, but I think I can, I think I can!

I'm still looking over plans --- suggestions?
  • ttrttrttr
    Options
    I'm currently doing the 10 days of juicing and for me after 3 days I had to add a meal. I'm currently juicing for breakfast and lunch then eating a healthy dinner. I found that I had enough energy for my day to day stuff, work and maybe a light workout like walking but I was wanting to get back to my more intense workouts so I added the meal for more energy. I'm on day 8, I lost 5 pounds. I feel great and I really look forward to my juice in the morning, they taste so good. "The big book of juices" has 400 juice recipes, I bought mine on amazon for $15. Make sure to add the veggies, I found the fruit has so much sugar in it that I had tons of energy but would crash mid-day.

Organic fruit and veggies are best but if you're looking for most affordable go to costco to get your staples like apples and carrots. You really will go through alot of those as they are a base ingrediant in a lot of the recipes
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I saw that from your Green juice diet that you decided to splurge on a more expensive juicer than the Black and Decker! I'm gonna see if my local library has "the big book of juices"
  • ttrttrttr
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I saw that from your Green juice diet that you decided to splurge on a more expensive juicer than the Black and Decker! I'm gonna see if my local library has "the big book of juices"

The library is a really good idea, I was telling a co-worker about the book and she looked it up to buy it and for some reason it's now $150 on amazon. Not sure if when I bought it they messed up or if it's messed up now. It has a lot of good easing into veggie recipes
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Check out the Reboot Program online. Lots of advice and recipes on there.
  • Tacita123
    Tacita123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I once read a book called 'slim for life; freedom from the food and diet trap' by Jason Vale, over here (UK) he's known as the juice master and he also has a book called 7lbs in 7 days, my partner and I followed the plan a while back, it was pretty tough, but we both lost a fair bit of weight, the hardest thing was going back to food, we ate really lightly and healthily for a while afterwards, anything too heavy was too much - you just need to be careful, but I love all his books!

Tacita
  • Cetus37
    Cetus37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you! I had been thinking that I needed to detox for health reasons and I happened upon the documentary and now I am excited to get going. I purchased a juicer today and would love to have someone else to do this with as no one else in my family will be doing this with me. Let me know if you are still planning on doing this. I think Aug. 15th would be a perfect day for me to start!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    So what does thisinvolve, Just curiouson what you eat and how much, I know its mostly liquid made from fruit and veggies etc.
    U can send me a message as well if you like.
    Thanks
  • cbpbro
    cbpbro Posts: 49
    Options
    Today is day 20 of my juice fast. My advice would to be just by a bunch of fruit and veggies and expierment on your own. I usually do just fruit in the morning and each subsequent juice take out a fruit and add a veggie until the last juice of the day is just veggie. Carrots and cucumbers go well with most fruits and green apples and green grapes go well with the green veggies. I consume 4 16 oz juices each day.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    SMOOTHIE IT, DON'T JUICE IT!

Most of the fiber and nutrients are in the peal which is discarded in juicers. Make a delicious and refreshing smoothie and get all the benefits.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    So this is all you eat 3-4 times a day then? Doesn't it make u feel as if u are starving? What about adding whey protein powder
    to it? I think i would be starving to death doing this lol. It may help me shed some pounds though. I make smoothies so this could work.
  • ttrttrttr
    Options
    So this is all you eat 3-4 times a day then? Doesn't it make u feel as if u are starving? What about adding whey protein powder
    to it? I think i would be starving to death doing this lol. It may help me shed some pounds though. I make smoothies so this could work.

Today is day 10 for me and suprisingly no, you are not starving after drinking the juices. I feel very full after them. I do get hungry about an hour before I normally would but otherwise they are very filling.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Day 18 of being a raw vegan. I've lost 26 lbs and counting.

I feel pretty amazing actually. Focusing on high nutrient density foods suddenly makes perfect sense to my brain because of how I feel and it's effects on my body. My sleeping patters are more consistent. I have zero need for caffeine. When I feel low on energy I drink juice. I shoot for 4 a day but if my body wants it and it often does, 5 a day. It'll be fun breaking these into meals late next month. Outside of the juice I drink a lot of water. And so I feel hydrated, massive energy, clearer headed and so on and so forth. So, for now, I'd say I feel about 10 years younger for the time being with that general feeling looking like it'll extend out quite a bit as I go forward. Already I'm doing things I haven't done in years.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I am still trying to figure you out if you use protein in them or just fruit and veggies? And this is all you eat every day 4-5 times a day,
    So a liquid diet so to speak. Remindsme of a friend I knew that drank slim fast shakes all day every day.

Doesn't this get boring?
  • madeline31692
    Options
    Sorry to be the skeptic...but is this kind of weight loss really sustainable? Yeah, 7 lbs in 7 days sounds wonderful but doesn't it just come right back on after you introduce normal food (even if introduced slowly?)

Also, can you exercise while just consuming juice? I'm willing to try things but I just have some questions...
  • Steelytop
    Options
    Yes, permanent weight loss only comes from permanent changes. This is just the pre-change. Personally, I'm changing my stripes from omnivore to vegetarian. That is a permanent change.

But yes, anytime you just go back to usual, you will gain ALL the weight back and then some. Consistently. That is unless you had a wonderful diet to begin with in moderation.

From now on i'll be on a high nutrient density diet. Bye bye cheese burgers!

I'm having nothing but juice for these 60 days. Oh and water. Protein? Um, no. At the 61 day mark. And it will be fresh and healthy. I am exercising 2 - 3 days per week for about 65 minutes on an elliptical and working with dumbbells as well for my arms. Nothing fancy, just lots of reps. And that's been slow in starting recently. I'm slowly getting up to speed on it.

One noted side effect: As I close on having lost nearly 30 lbs in (20 days tomorrow) is a bit of back pain because my muscles in my back are re-adjusting to my new weight which is changing rapidly. But think of the lack of back pain once the weight is off!

It's not like I'm going to eat too much broccoli or salads after this 60 days. And it's not like I'm going back to my old ways. My brain has changed already. I know people who are doing this juicing diet but eating a meal here and there and every time it's their "old" food they don't feel well anymore eating that. It's like a rock in your stomach after you're used to good nutrients. And most of that will become waste since there is little if any nutritional value in it. I'm talking mainly of the fast food variety or chain restaurant variety.
  • Steelytop
    Options
    I'm fortunate and not hooked on sweets. When they're around all the time I can become hooked so I know it's a learned behavior. By keeping them out of the house completely (except the occasional treat for the kids) and taking them off my radar I don't crave them AT ALL. Sure, I like chocolate ice cream as much as the next person but I'm not going to eat any because it's going to raise my cholesterol. I'm tired of being a creature of habit so I've discontinued a lot of things in my house. And we've learned to make all our favorite restaurant foods as good or better than they make them at far less price. So, then I can customize and give myself exactly what I want. My recipes will now change to vegetarian options and once I get the fat suit off, I will be able to see a clear path to how I got there and how to stay there. Nothing else matters more than our health. Nothing.
  • CynGetsThin
    Options
    You and @cbpbro have some amazing results. Thanks for being such an inspiration. Because of TWO last minute interviews, my start date was postponed to Sept. 1st. The 4 drinks a day is something I will strive for -- but I will allow myself up to 6 if I get too antsy. I'm excited to see how the 10 days will make a difference in how I feel overall - energy, weight loss, focus.
    Lately I've been having trouble focusing and maintaining energy.

Thanks again for all the advice!