eating empty cals to cancel out deficit??!

Options
at goal weight, dont want to lose anymore, had a massive deficit today and wasnt hungry so i ate some cookies to cancel it out cos i wasnt hungry enough to eat the same ammount of cals of healthy food.. is this ok or should i plan better through the day so im not left with such a deficit-just had such a busy day i didnt really get enough time to eat :0 lol

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many cookies did you eat? As long as you aren't eating cookies in quantities and frequenly enough to develop insulin resistance then have the cookies. Personally, I would have gone for a nice glass of red wine and a handful of cocoa roasted almonds. But that's just me. :drinker:
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nuts of any kind would be a better choice. High in calories, protein, and GOOD fat--still healthy and won't keep you wanting more like sugary foods will.
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being at your goal weight! Some people say calories are calories, but I tend to believe that foods that are better for us such as veggies with dip, or a piece of fruit, would be a better way to get calories rather than ones full of sugar such as cookies. Me personally, in the past I would eat a bunch of empty calories and skimp on the nutritious food, so I don't want to get into that habit again. I would say it's okay now and again, but better planning would help in the long run to stay at your goal weight.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    How many cookies did you eat? As long as you aren't eating cookies in quantities and frequenly enough to develop insulin resistance then have the cookies. Personally, I would have gone for a nice glass of red wine and a handful of cocoa roasted almonds. But that's just me. :drinker:

I vote wine, too! And, I think one day of a few cookies here and there is not going to cancel all your hard work. Congrats, by the way!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    It's now only about how many calories you eat, but what that food is made of. A few cookies here and there aren't too bad, but if you're trying to fill a huge deficit and decide to have ice cream, beer, etc chances are you're going to be doing more harm to your diet than good. Factor in things like fat and sugar, go with whatever your body NEEDS at the time (yes, you do need some fat and sugar!) and you'll be OK :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a yummy treat every once in a while. There is nothing I am willing to completely give up for the sake of weight loss. I eat less, and I eat healthy overall, but if I want a slice of cake, I'm going to have a slice of cake.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    thanks everyone, i had 4 :ohwell: im just finding it hard to eat all my maintence calories cos its so much more than im used to! so i keep getting heaps left over at the end of the day. i will try adding a bit more to meals/snacks earlier in the day -have been adding avocado, olive oil, nut etc to get more healthy calories. i hadnt eaten anything bad all day so i guess the cookies were ok cos its pretty much a one off for me now.. does anyone know how often u have to eat sweets to get an insulin resistance?? like say if someone started eating a cup of icecream /day would they get it?????
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think that's one of the weighs that in the past I was able to stay on track. If i found for whatever reason that I had a calorie deficit (usually do to the insane amount of workout out I used to do) I would allow myself to have a sweet treat every now and then. It keeps you from getting in the mindset of what having a "forbidden" food can do and it actually helps curb intense craving. I've found (and all of this is just my person opinion and experience) that if I didn't consider any food to be off limits or "forbidden" I didn't crave them as much and having some sweets every now and again satisfied that tendency. Of course, every time you have a deficit you don't want to head to the cookie jar, but every once in a while isn't such a bad idea, as long as you have the self control and discipline to make sure it's only once in a while.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Still waiting for a scientific explaination of 'empty calorie.' It's just a mom-way for people to pass judgement over what you are eating.

I tend to get to my goal at the end of the day with beer. I am running like a maniac and closing in on my goal. Works for me- if eating cookies works for you, go for it!

It's not a "scientfic" definition, but here is the common definition:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/beware-these-empty-calories
    Soda, candy, chips...what do they all have in common? They are all top sources of what many dietitians refer to as "empty calories."

The American Heritage College dictionary defines "empty" as "holding or containing nothing." And for all the calories these foods add to your diet, they bring along almost nothing else for your body -- very little vitamins or minerals, very little fiber or phytochemicals.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    does anyone know how often u have to eat sweets to get an insulin resistance?? like say if someone started eating a cup of icecream /day would they get it?????

It would depend on the person and what else they were eating and how much exercise they get. Carbohydrates, such as sugar, cause an insulin spike when eaten. Repeatedly spiking your insulin will lead to insulin resistance and possibly to diabetes. Eating carbs with fiber and/or protein (such as whole grains, veggies, fruits) slows digestion and lessens the insulin spike. But I don't think there is specific formula that allows you to say "if I eat X amount of ice cream I will develop insulin resistance, but if I eat Y amount I won't".
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    does anyone know how often u have to eat sweets to get an insulin resistance?? like say if someone started eating a cup of icecream /day would they get it?????

It would depend on the person and what else they were eating and how much exercise they get. Carbohydrates, such as sugar, cause an insulin spike when eaten. Repeatedly spiking your insulin will lead to insulin resistance and possibly to diabetes. Eating carbs with fiber and/or protein (such as whole grains, veggies, fruits) slows digestion and lessens the insulin spike. But I don't think there is specific formula that allows you to say "if I eat X amount of ice cream I will develop insulin resistance, but if I eat Y amount I won't".

yeah i guess its just best to keep those kinds of foods for every now and then.. i eat healthy only wholegrains and lots of fruit veg and dairy so i guess the odd sweet wont hurt as long as i dont go over my cals..

with empty calories i heard u could eat 150 cal of them per day (obviously not ideal) but just wondering when working out how many empty cals u are eating would u just count the cals from the sugar and fat cos appart from that the other cals in cookies can be quite healthy if its just wholegrain flour and icecream is pretty healthy appart from the high sugar content... just curious its not like im going to start pigging out on these things and pretending theyre healthy! lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Insulin resistance is related more to being obese, having metabolic syndrome, stress, pregnancy and a strong lean towards genetics. No one on my side of the family has had diabetes and they slam sugar all day. My uncle's side (mother's sister's husband) has issue with diabetes and 2 of my cousins who are within normal weight range are insulin resistant and have diabetes.
    Also look at many Indian nation tribes. Practically the whole tribe deals with diabetes because of genetics.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I disagree. Insulin resistance is related more to being obese, having metabolic syndrome, stress, pregnancy and a strong lean towards genetics. No one on my side of the family has had diabetes and they slam sugar all day. My uncle's side (mother's sister's husband) has issue with diabetes and 2 of my cousins who are within normal weight range are insulin resistant and have diabetes.
    Also look at many Indian nation tribes. Practically the whole tribe deals with diabetes because of genetics.

As I said, it depends on the person. Genetics does play a factor, as it does in most diseases. But you do not have to be obese or pregnant to develop insulin resistance.