Trigger Food

Options
So yesterday I went off the rails and ended the day with eating over 3000 calories. It started innocently enough for Christmas I received some truffles. I still have about 30 or so left from 48 which is pretty good considering I’ve had them now for almost 4 months. Yesterday I ate 1 it fitted in my calories. I decided to eat one more, which turned into 6 more. I then ate other stuff to reach 3000 calories.

The last time I had this issue of going over calories it started with an innocent homemade chocolate chip cookie....anyway I don’t seem to handle some foods like chocolate well. One always leads me to wanting more. Sometimes I can stop the urge to have more, sometimes I will eat a little more, or sometimes like yesterday I go crazy.

The truffles are back in my closet not bothering me at all, but I know when I actually eat one I will want 10. How do you handle your triggers? Today is garbage day I feel like throwing them out, but Easter is coming in a few weeks and there will be lots of chocolate temptation. Any advise?

Replies

• luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide them, and only give you one when you ask.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would definitely work on not keeping foods like that in the house. If you keep temptation food like that around you, you are way more likely to end up eating it and going over on calories, and so then what is the point of having food like that? If you worked hard and you still have room in your calories for a treat or snack then always try to get creative first with healthy foods. Try peanut butter, fruits, granola, cereal. If those don't work then I will go out and buy just one of something tasty, like a candy bar or something similar. But keeping food like that in stock in your house is always going to set you back. If these splurges are happening very often I would re look at what you are eating for your diet, is it healthy food that you actually LIKE to eat? Or are you restricting yourself to too few calories and need to up it a bit to make it more manageable?

For chocolate temptation try to eat dark chocolate. Or get a chocolate meal substitute. I love chocolate and I use the Herbalife Formula 1 meal substitute in Dutch Chocolate flavor to satisfy my craving, so I technically get some chocolate everyday and it helps me stay in my calorie deficit.

SO, try to get rid of tempting foods that you don't need to have around the house, and try to come up with healthier, low calorie substitutes to meet your cravings.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yep - this is me. It happens once in a very great while. I have learned not to beat myself up afterwards - just accept it for what it is, and get back on track. I now like to think about the worst case scenario result of such a binge - 3000 calories may stall my progress towards goal for a week. One week out of my entire life. That's it.
    It's not catastrophic. It doesn't have to be a life sentence. It doesn't have to mean anything other than I reallllllllly wanted chocolate, cookies, whatever for that one day. So I had it, and life will move on.

Another thing I have learned - it's ok to throw out the trigger food. I know we're conditioned not to "waste" things, but if it bothers you to have it around, toss it. It's ok.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling. And it's not even a specific "trigger food" but something else. Hormones, mood, I don't know.
    I always have sweets at home and fit them into my budget. On most days it's possible to limit myself to just one piece of something and some days, the same item causes me to go crazy and eat a s***load of food.
    Can't help it and can't control it. My discipline is just fine for most of the days but sometimes I can't think of anything else than food and then I have to have it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Don't really have a specific food, but carbs+ fat plus my emotional state can have me logging 3,000-4,000 calories most days.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I try not to keep large quantities of treats in my house. If I feel like baking cookies, I'll wait till we're having friends over or hosting a party, so the cookies will be gone by the time the party ends. Same with bags of chips.

I manage my sweet/savory tooth by finding lower-calorie options to work into my day. For sweets, I love Fiber One bars. For savory, I like Popchips or popcorn. If worse comes to worse and I eat a whole bag, I'm still only looking at 500 or fewer calories.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    don't keep them in the house especially trigger foods. One thing I do is buy single serving sizes. Another thing is I usually have to leave the house to go get it if I want it bad enough. I have had truflles around since december and eat 1 or 2 when my calories allow even though I love them. Now if it was reeses I wouldn't be able to have it in my house. That is why if I get a craving for one I will go buy one bar if it fits in my calories or if it doesn't only eat half and share it with my sister or substitute it with something similar.
  • lois1231
    Options
    Zmausnot wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise and tips. I do live with someone and they would hide things for me. The strange thing is it does not really bother me to have things in the house. It can be in plain site and does not bother me, it’s when I actually start eating it especially sweet food that I just always want more. If I don't start eating it, it does not bother me.

I’m allergic to nuts/peanuts/seeds so the truffles were an expensive gift that my sister got me for Christmas. to get more I actually would have to mail order them, which is why I hesitate to toss them. I am thinking maybe to take my favorites out for Easter and getting rid of the rest.

For calorie deficit it is about 600 calories from my maintance weight. I teared my tendon in January and can’t really do much exercise. It hurts to just walk, I will probably need surgury. I have my activity set at sedentary. If I set my deficit to 2 or 1.5 pounds it tells me to eat 1200 calories, but I find that hard to do especially with out exercise calories. If I set it at 1 pound it gives me 1400 calories. I usually eat around 1300 to 1400 calories. My doctor actually told me to try 800 calories, hmmm no thank you.

Since December I have lost 33 pounds. I started on the dash diet but switched to my fitness pal because I find it easier to follow. On Saturday I actually went below 200 pounds for the first time since 8th grade. To put that in perspective I’m 47 years old. Of course today I’m back to the 200s but I’m determined not to give up, like I have 100s o times before.

I get this. I really do. I would have the same problem if I had an open bag of chips or popcorn here. That is why I only buy single servings anymore. You got this. It is one bad day. Awesome that you got below 200 pounds. That is my goal too someday.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise and tips. I do live with someone and they would hide things for me. The strange thing is it does not really bother me to have things in the house. It can be in plain site and does not bother me, it’s when I actually start eating it especially sweet food that I just always want more. If I don't start eating it, it does not bother me.

I’m allergic to nuts/peanuts/seeds so the truffles were an expensive gift that my sister got me for Christmas. to get more I actually would have to mail order them, which is why I hesitate to toss them. I am thinking maybe to take my favorites out for Easter and getting rid of the rest.

For calorie deficit it is about 600 calories from my maintance weight. I teared my tendon in January and can’t really do much exercise. It hurts to just walk, I will probably need surgury. I have my activity set at sedentary. If I set my deficit to 2 or 1.5 pounds it tells me to eat 1200 calories, but I find that hard to do especially with out exercise calories. If I set it at 1 pound it gives me 1400 calories. I usually eat around 1300 to 1400 calories. My doctor actually told me to try 800 calories, hmmm no thank you.

Since December I have lost 33 pounds. I started on the dash diet but switched to my fitness pal because I find it easier to follow. On Saturday I actually went below 200 pounds for the first time since 8th grade. To put that in perspective I’m 47 years old. Of course today I’m back to the 200s but I’m determined not to give up, like I have 100s o times before.

Sounds like you are making great progress! Congratulations! MFP is awesome and so are you!

I think the idea of keeping your favorite of the truffles is good. Can you take the rest to work or give them away to a friend or neighbor? Whenever I have extra goodies in my house (like at Christmastime) I send them with the husband to work and his co-workers have a field day! They love it and I don't have to eat it myself.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You like chocolate. The world is full of chocolate. It would be unrealistic to say you are not going to have chocolate ever again.

When you eat the chocolate maybe try making one last as long as possible. Savor the experience. Let it melt slowly in your mouth instead of chewing it up. Or take tiny bites with sips of water or something in between. Eat it with a meal maybe instead of a stand alone item.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

It sounds like you're eating a reasonable deficit for your current weight so that's good to hear. Hope your tendon heals soon. I remember when I broke my ankle (badly), the tendon damage was the worst part of the whole thing for me, so I know how pesky that can be. Hang in there!

One other suggestion I have for you is to freeze the truffles.

Take out only what you will eat (and of course let it thaw) and leave the rest in there so it's harder to eat more than what you plan for. This is a strategy I've read some people use successfully, and it could work well with something where texture is an important part of the experience of enjoying the food.

I remember trying it with cheesecake and failing, because it turned out I liked the frozen cheesecake just fine :p

But give it a go. Truffles are meant to be soft and oozy.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest freezing the truffles too. If nothing else, take one, put the rest away, and go somewhere else to eat it. I find I'm much less likely to overindulge if I don't have all of the food right on front of me.

I also have started prelogging a treat at the start of everyday. That helps, knowing I've already designated the calories for it.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Have someone hide them, and only give you one when you ask.

And that someone should not be someone you care about if you are anything like me. I'll literally twist your arm if you don't give me a second, once I've had one. :wink:

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Cereal. Gets me every time.
  • lois1231
    Options
    Freezing is a good idea. I have done that with truffles also. They take longer to eat and they are out of sight.
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Don't really have a specific food, but carbs+ fat plus my emotional state can have me logging 3,000-4,000 calories most days.

Thanks for posting this. Sometimes it's easy to think I'm the only one doing this and it feels pretty isolating. Usually, I can keep it to 2 days tops but these past 4 days have been all out eating fests. I've undone about a month of weight loss.