Is 1600 calories too low?

Options
Trying to eat 50% protein 25 carbs and fats with a daily intake of 1600 cal. I started at 2100, but after two months I lowered to 1600 cals to get a 1-2 lb loss a week sometimes I maintain. While doing this I've been lifting 3-4 times a week (doing t28 workouts, feed the muscle burn the fat routines). I'm just curious if my intake is too low or my metabolism is really F'd up. I do easily gain weight I'm 32, 222 lbs now (was 232 on Jan 10), 5'6. No cardio. Activity level moderate. 41-38 body fat. I want to lower my calories but I don't want to screw up my metabolism. Should I consider re-feeds? I semi cheated this weekend and didn't workout all week because I got sick and gained 1-2 lbs because of it but don't look bloated like I used too when I would cheat maybe a bit buffer? Any tips or recommendations appreciated.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I'd eat to whatever number MFP gives, based on the info you gave it.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Are you a man or a woman? It makes a difference.

Also, if you're losing weight slower than you 'should' given your logged calories and exercise, your intake is definitely not too low. It's far more likely that your logging is out and you're eating more than you think. Do you weigh everything that goes in your mouth? Do you remember to log coffee and other drinks? Shavings of cheese? The oils you cook with?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1600 sounds fine given your stats.

Try it for 4-6 weeks and tweak as necessary
  • crazysketch
    crazysketch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m a man. And yes im loggin everything i put in a my mouth. Also bought a food scale and measuring devices.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’m a man. And yes im loggin everything i put in a my mouth. Also bought a food scale and measuring devices.

In that case, ignore my comment, it's not enough
  • ceiswyn
    Options

In that case you need to see a doctor, because if your logging is accurate you should be losing way more than you are; 1600 is too low.

But I'm still betting that your logging is out.
  • crazysketch
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did see the doctor and she had me on meds like quizimia, saxanda, topa, i refuse to stick with those meds due to horrible side effects I get.
  • ceiswyn
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did see the doctor and she had me on meds like quizimia, saxanda, topa

Did she test you, diagnose you with an underlying metabolic disorder, and treat you for that? Or did she just give you weight-loss meds?

Because if you are genuinely eating 1600 kcal, doing a lot of exercise (do you eat those calories back?), and failing to lose weight, you have an underlying metabolic disorder that needs to be treated. But it's not very likely.

• Kingsfan760
    Kingsfan760 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a man, 60+ years old, SW 250, 1500-1600, but I do cardio twice a week and weights 3 days a week, rest on the weekends. I rarely "cheat" on my foods and am losing 1.5-2 lbs. consistently, weekly. Been doing this about 3 months and down16 lbs. You may want to review the foods you eat and consider some exercise to help keep your metabolism going.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is always going. If it's not, you're dead.
  • crazysketch
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Did she test you, diagnose you with an underlying metabolic disorder, and treat you for that? Or did she just give you weight-loss meds?

Because if you are genuinely eating 1600 kcal, doing a lot of exercise (do you eat those calories back?), and failing to lose weight, you have an underlying metabolic disorder that needs to be treated. But it's not very likely.

Thats a good idea. More like just throwing different meds at me. Honestly doing more bad than good.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

The way I interpreted his post was that he has been eating 2100 calories and averaging 1 pound per week (10 lbs since Jan 10th) some weeks 'not losing' - that's normal, but he's wondering if it's ok to lower to 1600 to lose 2 lbs per week.
    This would put his maintenance around 2600 calories, which I don't feel is totally unreasonable.

That being said, after looking over OP's diary, there are a handful of days which don't appear to be full logged (unless he actually ate 800 calories on those days.....?)
    Also frequent restaurant food which can be tricky to log accurately. He very well could be eating more than he thinks.
  • crazysketch
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Those days were when i was trying the docs meds giving me little to no appetite. Started getting depressed and got off it. And when I eat out I tend to add more ounces or serving from my ideal estimation.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    OP I don't think you have a metabolic disorder.... but I do think your post was a bit confusing.

You've been averaging a pound per week on 2100, which I think is reasonable. It's normal to have weeks where the scale doesn't change.

It's unlikely that you'll 'screw up' your metabolism, however if that's too large of a deficit you may sacrifice muscle mass, and are more likely to regain the weight/have trouble sticking to the deficit.
    Before you decide to drop to 1600, I would consider how well you have been sticking to the 2100 calorie goal. Are you hungry/struggling and 'cheating' frequently? Are you logging as accurately as you could be?

A general rule of thumb is that people can safely lose up to 1% of their body weight per week, so aiming for 2 lbs may be within reach. Assuming you are logging accurately - Perhaps you could take a slightly less aggressive approach, since 1600 is quite low. Maybe aim for 1.5 lbs per week, or drop calories slightly and add a little cardio.

If your logging is not spot on - Simply tightening up your 2100 cals may be enough to result in a larger loss.