Beginner at the gym

Options
lovsusie
lovsusie Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
First day at the gym tomorrow morning. I don’t have a clue where to start and am wanting to take things slow at first because I am physically out of shape. I have about 60-70 pounds to lose and know this will not be easy or quick. Along with activity changes, I am planning diet changes. Any suggestions on what to do at gym.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ask a staff member to give you a tour and look over the class schedule.. Pace yourself and go gradually.
  • lovsusie
    lovsusie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It even makes me nervous to ask for a tour or help. I do think that is what I will need to do.
  • Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. Most gyms offer free tours around the gym so you can check it out. When starting you can always do a few PT sessions to get a feel for what to do. Also remember most people at the gym are just focussing on themselves and are to busy to judge others.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Asking for a tour seems like a really good idea. Other than that remember to start light and getting the movements right. I suggest getting a simple beginner's full body program and researching the exercises to make sure you understand the technique before lifting heavy. Also, don't be afraid of the free weights area, that's where you'll get the most bang for your bucks
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Everyone started at new at some point I think you'll find most people will help you out and be friendly with any questions you have. But try group classes at first would be my advice to find what you like but try almost anything even if you think it is not worth it. I had in my head yoga was a woman's thing (I know that's bad) but I tried it liked it and do it everyday now.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with classes. Depending on where you go you can get anything from yoga, zumba, spin classes....try them out, see what agrees with you. Don't push yourself too hard too fast! The worst thing you want to do is injure yourself and not be able to work out effectively. Focus on eating right and getting 20-30 mins of cardio/activity to start out. Gradually incorporate weight lifting to tone your muscles...remember if you have a question just ask!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Get a tour for sure. Do some cardio - maybe 5-10 minutes on each machine to try stuff out and see how they feel and what you're comfortable on. Another vote for classes too - just don't choose one that is called "Master's Sweat-fest" or "Brutal Full Body A*s*s Kicking" lol
  • lyssalosesit
    lyssalosesit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I find it really helpful to have a device (I have an Apple Watch, and had a heart rate monitor before that) that shows you your heart rate as you go. It’s easy to find what your target heart rate should be online for your age/height/weight. I go off of that as I work out, and keep myself near that “orange zone”. It helps me not push myself too hard, and helps me to not pretend like I’m pushing myself in a good way when really I’m lazy-working out. Also helps to know how many calories you actually are burning! But as others said, get a tour, remember that people aren’t focusing on you as much as you think they are. Try out all kinds of different equipment and find what you like, what gives you a good burn, and isn’t boring. Go as slow as you need to!! Everyone starts somewhere.
  • VirginiasMom
    VirginiasMom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting as comfortable as possible - maybe just hop on a treadmill and watch TV for half an hour. When I started at the gym I found a really easy going dance class and that was how I started group fitness. Eventually I got up the courage to do more difficult classes and later found the weight room. The most important thing is to start and find something you enjoy!