Weight Loss Surgery

Options
I have decided to get weight loss surgery due to some medical issues that I am having.

I have started the classes (6 months - 1 time a month) and I have to lose 5% of my weight, which comes to 12 lbs, in order to be approved for the surgery. I really want to change the way that I eat because after the surgery I will have to be making better food choices.

I officially started everything (food diary, water intake, and working out) on March 15th. It has been really good and I feel a lot better, however, its still so hard. I cut out soda completely. This is a huge thing for me because i would have at least 20 oz of soda a day to stay awake (I have sleep apnea).

I bought the Hidrate Spark water bottle which reminds me to drink water, and that has been amazing. I started using that a week ago and i have surpassed my water goal every day.

I have tried to fit in working out, but that is so hard with the schedule that I have. I work Monday - Friday 8:30am-5:30pm. I have an hour lunch, so I eat my lunch and walk around my parking lot for about 20ish minutes. On the weekends, I try to walk as well, taking my 8 year old daughter on her scooter. But there is days like today, when she is sick and cannot leave the house. I also have an issue with my right knee, its sore and stiff all the time. Does anyone know exercises I can do at home?

I would also like to talk to some people who are doing or have done the weight loss surgery.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Can you drink coffee? That can help you stay awake.

Do you have a CPAP for your apnea?

Stairs are at home. Going up and down stairs is a good cardio workout. But I see you have a stiff knee. You can do push-ups off the wall. It will help with upper body strength but it likely can’t help you work up a sweat.

Reducing calories is king for weight loss.

Bariatric surgery was a life saver for me. All the best.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I had a neighbor who had the surgery. It worked for her and she lost 100lbs as a result but over the years the weight has crept back partially. The surgery is a beginning not an end--I think you already know that. If you are like me, the knee will feel better as the weight comes off. Gear up for a more active life as you feel better--you will feel a lot more energetic. I sense that exercise is lower priority in your life than work and family. That's noble but in order to lock in weight loss you need exercise in your life too. Your children will survive even if you go to gym. I have three, they all spent a lot of time in the gym daycare and now are teenagers who go to the gym with me.
  • tattoogal77
    tattoogal77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am going for surgery as well. I met with the nutritionist on March 13th. I also have issues with my right knee sometimes. What is causing the knee pain? Prior injury? With mine it's a torn ACL that was never repaired (long story). So I know that I need to take it slow, watch how much weight I use in doing squats, the distances/time that I walk. I know as the weight come off the easier it will be and I can finally get a brace to stabilize my knee. I work a very similar schedule to you. I work 8-4:30 with a 40 minute drive to and from work. I am lucky enough that I have a fantastic treadmill in my home that I will be using more, and some hand weights as well. I have heard YOGA is really good for exercise. Youtube has tons of videos you can start with. Just take it day by day. You will reach your goals!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for some at home workouts. Also google and YouTube for how to workout with a sore knee.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My sister liked yoga but didn't go that many times. She had her surgery 3 years ago.
  • AlbertaB2018
    AlbertaB2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery in July....doing this pretty much alone...would be nice to have someone to talk to that understand what I am feeling...all my family are slender and can eat what they want...tells me if I really wanted to I can do it without surgery...I'm just not trying ...
  • MzShaun85
    MzShaun85 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I had the surgery the sleeve done on 02.23. If you have any questions please feel free too ask. Right now I would say to take it easy and just walk. Might sound silly but I walked around the house a lot and when you first have the surgery that will be a must to move the gas out.
  • SamanthaBarber
    SamanthaBarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done February 7th. I've been walking two miles a day on my lunch break since about 4 weeks post op. Recently I've started googling arm challenges and leg challenges that I can do at home to add in some resistance training. You're smart to start your journey now because after surgery is not easy. I still fight head hunger and I was so thankful for my two weeks of liquid diet pre-op because it prepared me for three weeks of post op liquid diet. It's been 6 weeks and I'm down 34 pounds. I had lost 13 before that following the WW program. Good luck, and if all you can do is walk, do it!
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved in August of 2016. I hit the gym every day at 4am but when I don't feel like going I just look up a video on youtube and do it at home.