What trainers/sneakers do you wear?

Options
I'm about to buy a new pair of trainers for the gym. My old Nike Air Max are too bulky and I've had them for years. Anyway, I'm looking for a new pair which is proving more difficult than I thought it would be. There's a raging internet debate out there as to which trainers are best for aerobics and the gym, which ones should be used just for running and whether it's ever ok to use one pair of trainers for both aerobics and running :huh: Also, many people seem to recommend Reebok Easytones whereas other people argue that they promote instability and therefore shouldn't be used in a gym or for a fitness class. Argh.

Just out of interest, what trainers/sneakers do you wear when you work out and what type of workout are you doing?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to an athletic shoe store and getting fitted for the right pair for you. Everyone's feet and needs are different.
  • hawkeyegirl
    Options
    I've had the same issue! I'd love to hear responses too.
  • bridge703
    Options
    I stick with Nike.. I use the Tailwind, Free, or LunarGlide.

here's a link to some fresh kicks for women's

http://www.eastbay.com/product/model:147979/sku:15371050/nike-air-max-tailwind+-3-womens/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH
  • cynephen
    Options
    i have a pair of reebok easytone sneakers and find it very difficult to use them for anything but walking/running. I tried them at Zumba last night and could not balance right and my arches hurt. I have a pair of reebok running shoes that I love because they are so lightweight.
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just got Vibram 5 fingers and loving them so far. For Running though you have to build up the time slowly. For weight training and aerobics are also great.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I just got fitted at Runner's World with Ascis, Cumulus 13 running shoes! Love them :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm training, will dictate the shoes I wear. If I'm doing legs or back, I wear Otomix trainers. If I train arms, shoulders, then just my running New Balances for cardio later. If I'm training people, then just my regular Reebok trainers.
  • dharper3r
    Options
    I'm a walker; I wear NuBalance (it's one of the few that actually comes in a narrow width, too!)
  • nomnomgal
    Options
    I suggest going to an athletic shoe store and getting fitted for the right pair for you. Everyone's feet and needs are different.

I second that.

I have a pair of reebok easytones and agree that they're not good for working out in, just walking really. The runtones may be a bit better as they are supposedly more stable. However, I have recently picked up a pair of shoes that were suited to me because my old Nikes just weren't doing the job and they weren't absorbing the shock of my workout nor supporting my arch (or lack there of!).

So, I went to an athletic store where, if necessary (but it wasn't working this time!) they will let you walk on a treadmill and video your gait so you know what kind of shoe is best due to how you walk and the shape of your foot etc.

As it wasn't working, the shop attendant had me take my shoes and socks off and stand up and down on my toes so that he could see how my feet fell. He then suggested two pairs of shoes for me that would fit my flatfootedess. I ended up getting a pair of Asics Gel 1160 (I think). It supports my feet and I'm quite happy with them. I walk/jog/aerobics (Leslie Sansone/Zumba DVDs) in them. I too was looking for suggestions on-line for shoes but it really is individual because all our needs are different.
  • jrn1115
    jrn1115 Posts: 35
    Options
    i would recommend asics, they are very comfortable and not bulky at all.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used Nike Air Max for a long time but I started having shin pain - then I switched to Nike Pegasus which I love and are very comfortable.

Question... You're not supposed to use the same shoe that you run in for step aerobics?!?! I've been doing that and haven't had any problems but would like to hear more suggestions for aerobics shoes then.
  • cnkan0119
    cnkan0119 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love my Vibram five fingers. They are great because I hate sneakers. I usually do workout videos and haven't had any issues. I did jog 3 miles one day and did experience a little blistering on my insoles but I was still breaking them in. They are very comfortable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love my Vibram five fingers. They are great because I hate sneakers. I usually do workout videos and haven't had any issues. I did jog 3 miles one day and did experience a little blistering on my insoles but I was still breaking them in. They are very comfortable.

The owners of one of the running stores here are both former Olympic runners and they won't stock those. They say they're one of the worst shoes you can wear and will ruin your feet.
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    Question... You're not supposed to use the same shoe that you run in for step aerobics?!?! I've been doing that and haven't had any problems but would like to hear more suggestions for aerobics shoes then.

I'm finding it quite difficult to find a pair of aerobic shoes I like. I've seen a pair of asics I like. I think they're classed as running shoes but the tread on them looks like they might be suited to the gym... will keep looking. Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas! Will check them all out. Would love to hear more :)