How often do you clean your reusable water bottle?

Options

Replies

• goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If it's just water, Idk, more often than I used to --probably every 3-6 uses.

It's rarely just water, though. I'm frequently adding various powders and potions. After losing a couple of sentimental favorites I try to wash them every 1-2 uses (at least rinsing in-between each).
  • goatg
    Options
    I have a Blender Bottle brand shaker bottle with the snap-shut top. I try to clean it after every protein shake I mix in it. It really starts to stink if you I don’t wash it after blending a protein shake in it. Sometimes I thoroughly rinse it with just water, sometime with both soap and water.

Eep. Yes yes yes. I scrub the rim with a bottle brush, too, often after letting it soak in hot while for a while.
    Letting anything dry in those is the worst mistake ever.
  • goatg
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If I'm using it consistently (i.e. not letting stuff sit in it long enough to get funky), I'll use it for a week straight... washing it at some point each weekend.

These are things normal people don't do. I'm serious! We're up before 5am, running from one place to another, probably have 5-10 bottles lying around --at least-- in various states of cleanliness. We'll go for a ride, leave bottles in the cages, rush back out to grab and go the next day....I genuinely think we become desensitized.

I try to keep one in my gym locker and god knows that thing definitely isn't cleaned every day.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I also use blender bottles and I wash those after each use and every week I wash the lot of them in the dishwasher. If I do use a reusable water bottle, like a Nalgene with a smaller opening, I'll take them for Sunday dinner at my mom's or sister's & throw them in their dishwashers that have the special nozzles for cleaning baby bottles.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Don't own a reusable water bottle. Got a Brita and I clean my glass every night before I go to bed.

Got a stainless steel shot glass, though, that I never clean. But I do cycle several shots of whisky though it on a daily basis.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's gotta have been at least six weeks since I washed my S'well bottle...
  • shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have a clear one, so if I can see mold forming that is an indication to wash it.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I use one for a week usually. It goes in the dishwasher on the weekends. It never really goes home with me, goes to work and to the gym and back to work and so on. I do rinse it out a lot at work. I would maybe wash it more if the brush at work wasn't scarier than the water bottle. :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I use cold cups instead of water bottles and I always have several going (at home, at work, etc) but they get washed once a week and more if they seem to need it.
  • JourneytoSizeHealthy
    JourneytoSizeHealthy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Seems odd to be noticing people for weeks not washing their water bottles.

I’m a lurker.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Since my masculinity is toxic I figure my spittle is effective at debugifying my sippy cup.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    If I'm using it consistently (i.e. not letting stuff sit in it long enough to get funky), I'll use it for a week straight... washing it at some point each weekend.

These are things normal people don't do. I'm serious! We're up before 5am, running from one place to another, probably have 5-10 bottles lying around --at least-- in various states of cleanliness. We'll go for a ride, leave bottles in the cages, rush back out to grab and go the next day....I genuinely think we become desensitized.

I try to keep one in my gym locker and god knows that thing definitely isn't cleaned every day.

I have four protein shakers, three of which I use. The fourth, I think I hang onto for a "they're all dirty!" moment if I cycle them out before handwashing (I have a dishwasher, but never use it as it's just me and very few dishes).

But, I have seven water bottle for my bikes. Three of four bikes have two cages, and I swap them out if I don't wash right away due to road grime or mud. I also have a Camelback that I was before/after each use. Reason for the before is that I rarely use it, and I like to ensure it's clean before use. Nothing worse than being miles deep on a MTB ride or hike and having stomach issues.
  • any_other_guy
    any_other_guy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy a new one every day. Cleaner that way.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options
    oaqcna7zvjiz.jpeg

Carry this with me and replace the bottle weekly.
  • goatg
    Options

I have four protein shakers, three of which I use. The fourth, I think I hang onto for a "they're all dirty!" moment if I cycle them out before handwashing (I have a dishwasher, but never use it as it's just me and very few dishes).

But, I have seven water bottle for my bikes. Three of four bikes have two cages, and I swap them out if I don't wash right away due to road grime or mud. I also have a Camelback that I was before/after each use. Reason for the before is that I rarely use it, and I like to ensure it's clean before use. Nothing worse than being miles deep on a MTB ride or hike and having stomach issues.

Ugh, so true. Much like a dog's water bowl: you might not see the bacteria growing, but it grows, and you need to wash it.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I use a glass mason jar with a bamboo lid. I don't like the taste of water in plastic.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options

Ugh, so true. Much like a dog's water bowl: you might not see the bacteria growing, but it grows, and you need to wash it.

Yep. But, on the flip side, if you don't get all the soap out, it can still cause similar outcome...
  • Shredder583
    Shredder583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I agree with #Goatg there are actually more that 6 times more harmful bacteria on the neck of your drink bottle than in a dog's water bowl! The best and cleanest bottles that breed least amounts of bacteria are stainless steel bottles! Good luck....
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    Options
    I agree with #Goatg there are actually more that 6 times more harmful bacteria on the neck of your drink bottle than in a dog's water bowl! The best and cleanest bottles that breed least amounts of bacteria are stainless steel bottles! Good luck....

SS bottles are not good for bicycling. Especially in races, etc. That's why it's best to sterilize them in a dishwasher, or hot water with cleaner if you hand wash.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/customer-service/help-center/care-cleaning/product-cleaning/how-to-clean-tritan-bottles

https://www.camelbak.com/en/customer-service/help-center/care-cleaning/product-cleaning/how-to-clean-reservoir