I have been doing so good for months, why I am now all of a

Options
I had lost 24 pounds in 4 months and had kept it off for 4 months. Now here we are, mid summer, and for some reason, I have been hungry all the time!! I gained 4 pounds back, which I am not happy about. Why I am so hungry all of a sudden and why am I having such a hard time resisting the cravings? I am still doing my daily exercises and all that stuff. What the heck is going on with my appetite? Help!

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising more?

Maybe your body is craving something you are missing in your diet.... do you want the same kind of foods all the time?
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Ive been that way too. I have been thinking of possibly increasing my cals to help with that. I hit yet another plateu also which sticks. i havent gained but i havent lost either! you eating your excs. cals back???
  • teelt13
    teelt13 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm going through the same thing. Can't wait to read the responses.
  • Wibikerlady
    Wibikerlady Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your activity calories? You may need to adjust your wants in the setup for calorie intake. To me, it sounds like you need to change up you exercise routine...Your body may be just used to what you normally do...If you are eating all your calories, adjust your numbers so you have more a caloric deficit so you start to drop again.Just a matter of playing with numbers.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    normally im ok, but yesterday i was FAMISHED!
  • vatarheel
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and can't understand why. I lost 27 lbs in 4 mths, but haven't lost any more weight for the past month. I'm sticking to the same routine but nothing....so frustrating. Good luck getting things going again! Hang in there.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Read this. Seriously, it will almost certainly help you. It's helped me and a lot of people I know that got stuck.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you on? I was like that when I wasn't eating enough. Your body may be talking to you! :-)
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    could be something about summer triggers your appetite. The music, the sun - means parties & food? I know for me, it's Halloween. I can resist sweets & brownies until the 'holiday season' when I used to bake for my family & gain 10 lbs. I get uncontrollable urges to bake cookies & stuff - it's weird.
    you have only two choices - fight it or give in lol
  • jackieb79
    Options
    any chance you are pregnant?
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    Well the biggest thing I have found with craving food is looking at what you eat. Foods high in protien help keep you full longer as well as whole grains do that for you. I would say without looking at you diet planner that you may be lacking in protein if you are still craving foods. This is a guess though... but the rule of thumb I have found is the more working out you do the more protein you should intake.
  • mrdwatson91
    Options
    Maybe there is something missing from your diet?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary Are you eating enough???

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

If you only have a little left to lose you maybe nee to eat more. Are drinking enough water?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Some may think it's crazy, but like other animals thoughout thousands of years, our bodies instinctively know when the seasons start changing. And like other animals when winter approaches, the body may crave more food to help store more energy. Back in the caveman era food was scarce when it was cold, so you had to live off energy you had stored. Our physical body's function still revolves around that. Our body's are efficient at storing fat and you see that in the obese and overweight.
    This is possibly why it may be harder to lose weight in the winter than during the summer for many. Well that and because holidays encourage food, but even those who strictly diet still seem to lose less than during spring or summer. Your lipoprotein lipase (LPL) goes up and this encourages the storage of fat.
  • Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    Excellent post Avalonis
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your diet and make sure it's balanced. Sometimes if you're missing something or overeating in other areas, this can occur. I've found that sometimes it mind over matter...I got on a chocolate chip cookie train of thought a couple weeks ago. I COULDN"T get off it! Once that train left the station, I had one heck of a time stopping anywhere along the tracks. I could get by with one cookie (and I was able to stop at one cookie almost every day). But that added sugar in my day made me really hungry (and not in the "I need food" way, but that old "I'm having a sugar crash, I better eat" way). I stayed under my calories for the day most days I had a cookie, but that hunger was annoying. I finally put the emergency brake on the cookie train and I'm doing much better- and feeling much better again.

I'm also on maintenance now and sometimes I find myself feeling hungry when I never used to when I was losing weight. I try a glass of water first, then veggies. Usually that takes care of it. However, there are times I need starchy carbs and I'm not quite sure where that is coming from. So I will eat 90-100 calories of a carb and that will usually settle it down.

This becoming healthier is a journey and I keep learning lessons along the way. Maintenance can be the hardest part of that journey. Don't get upset or down, just learn from this experience and keep moving forward.

Good Luck!!
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    Thank you for posting the link to plateau busting. It answers a lot of questions I've had about stalling weight loss. I'm going to try to increase calories and get the scale moving again!
  • danacate
    danacate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Often thirst will manifest as hunger so you should make sure you are drinking enough water. If you are still hungry after drinking plenty of water, have a healthy snack.
  • GJ7072
    GJ7072 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my exercise calories, yes. I did have my birthday in July, which I was bad for the whole week, and I did splurge with the kids for ice cream the other day. But other than that, I have been eating healthy, just really hungry so going over calorie every day. Just a couple of minutes ago, I readjusted myself from maintain back to loose to try and loose the 4 pounds I gained. I have not been drinking as much water lately though come to think of it. That's one thing. Maybe that will help curb the hunger. Wish I know what had me so friggin' hungry all of a sudden though!!! And, wish I knew why all of a sudden I am struggling with will power when I didn't before :-(
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Could someone kindly copy/paste it? I can't access it at work :grumble: