Been using MFP app for a month 18.1lbs lost so far!!!

Options
I was a Marine MP for seven years but continued to eat the same after I got out and stopped excersizing. Now, eleven years later find myself at 220lbs which for being 5'9" is about 35lbs overweight by Marine Corps HWS. After getting a physical last month and being scolded by a Doctor for being fat and having high cholesterol, I started trying to eat better. After a few days I began using this app. I can not believe I had been eating as much as I was consuming 4000-5000 calories a day! I've set my goal to 175, my average weight while in the Corps, and taget at 2lbs a week. With only one exception I've met my net calorie goal every day since I've started this. I try to get on the $2500 elliptical, that had been gathering dust for most of the time we've had it, for at least thirty minutes every other day. While I do occasionaly get the "...you are eating too few calories." warning it's quite rare a the only thing I really miss is sweet tea.

So far I've lost 18.1lbs. I have serious doubts I could have been nearly as successful without myfitnesspal.com!!! Every time someone says "Have you been loosing weight?" I proceed to rave about how great myfitnesspal is! We just don't realize how much we eat until it's in black and white.

Replies

• PageSalyers
    PageSalyers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • phoenix1414
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the good work! I am fairly new, too, but haven't yet had the same success you have. I am still stuggling quite a bit with my food choices. Meeting all the fabulous people on MFP is certainly helping.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow 18.1 in 1 month is amazing! Keep up the great work!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    That is awesome for one month! Keep up the good work!

Myfitnesspal has blown my mind. I never have been happy about trying to lose weight and after many years of attempts I have never succeeded, until now.

Congrats!
  • hatchet83
    Options
    Well done man, keep up the great work. Im one week in and 3 pounds down! :)
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Man thats awesome!!! Congrats on the lifestyle change, because that is exactly what it is. It's not a diet. Keep up the hard work!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    What a reality check when you started logging food! Logging food is a great tool (doesn't need to be long term) for us to recognize how much and how well we eat. It definitely helped me have much better sense about calories, nutrition in food that I'm eating. Even when the time (or period of time) I'm not logging, the knowledge that I learned about how to eat right and portion size helps big time.

Great job there!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Great job! Don't be discouraged when the loss slows down. Keep at it! You may thank MFP but, MFP doesn't work unless you're willing to stick with it as well.
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    Geez, keep up the good work! You are doing great. I agree, MFP has been a lifesaver in my lifestyle change. It is the best way to keep up with your food. I also rant and rave about it when asked how I lost my weight. :) Wishing you continued success!!
  • HeatherDMcGuire
    Options
    Remember how good this feels when you're tempted:) Great job!!!
  • mwelch1105
    Options
    That's great!!! Congrats on your success! MFP is a great tool, and can really show how bad eating habits really are when you keep track of them. Keep up the good work!
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! That's awesome! It is so true that you don't realize what you put into your body untill you start measuring. You should have seen the look on my face when I realized how HUGE of a serving I was used to with mashed potatoes! :) It also helps having a support system! Doesn't make it seem like your in it alone! Keep up the good work!
  • bettycass
    bettycass Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That's great! I love MFP! I am like you, never realized just how much I was eating until I started writing it down. I have been so successful that now I have 5 of my friends doing it too. Like everybody says, it is not a diet, just a more conscious way of eating. I would lose more rapidly if I was not such a couch potato. I really have to push myself to do exercises. I make the excuse of being 66 years old, but that just won't fly anymore! Keep up the good work.
  • Jarhead5811
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!!! Quite frankly I'm expecting to hit a plateau but I think I'll be fine with a slowdown now that my clothes all fit again. I did try hoodia for a short time but don't think it made a difference. I'm not one to put strange things into my body so I feel better without it.

I seem to have a good metabolism as long as I'm not eating like I'm trying to gain weight! My saving grace has been a love of peppers and onions (practically no calories) and eating a lot of fruit. I make baked chicken wraps with pickled jalapeño peppers, bell peppers and banana peppers and nothing else on 100cal wraps. I treat my calories like a budget and just can't bring myself to spend them on high calorie non filling items but I do eat a piece or two of Ghirardelli 72%, my kryptonyte, almost everyday to fend of the monster within. I told my wife that if I want something bad enough I'm gonna eat it but log everything no matter how bad. I have practically given up red meat and fried foods but I'll never be a vegetarian.
  • tngorham
    tngorham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I just started last week and look forward to a healthier lifestyle. I know when it's on paper right in front of you there is no denying what i put into this donut hole of mine. LOL Congratulations
  • mcguink
    mcguink Posts: 15
    Options
    That is absolutely awesome...well done you!!! Keep up the good work, any words of advice/encouragement for someone like me who just joined on Monday?

Congrats again :-)
  • Jarhead5811
    Options
    Well, I tend to eat very similar meals on week days. An apple and coffee in the morning. I have a V8 and a banana or orange at my 9:30 break. For lunch a healthy choice meal instead of the red barons pizzas I used to have. 1:50 break may be another V8 and orange or banana, whichever I didn't eat in the morning or just water. For supper it's usually baked chicken on a wrap. I use low calorie kraft American cheese sometimes. On the weekendIi tend to drink coffee most of the day and eat one good sized meal in the evening.

Don't wait until you are starving to eat something. Popcorn and pickles are filling low calorie snacks that work for me. Coffee seems to be an appetite suppressant, for me anyway.

I did a better job exercising in the first few weeks keeping my net calories around 1200 and that seemed to make a huge difference.
  • write2sonya
    write2sonya Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!