Prenatal Vitamins...but I'm not pregnant!

Options
A friend of mine told me that taking prenatal vitamins was good for hair and nail growth and that they're safe to take even if you aren't pregnant. I am not taking any vitamins right now and I'm looking for a good "one a day" I can take. How different is a prenatal vitamin from a regular one a day multivitamin? I want to try them for my hair, but I'm not sure how it will interfere with my diet and exercise. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SuzanneRogers
    SuzanneRogers Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have taken Prenatal vitamins for years, they give the extra energy I need.. nothing in them that are bad for you.
  • fitness_superstar
    Options
    bump
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting; I've never even heard that.
  • p_m_g
    p_m_g Posts: 5
    Options
    My friend started taking prenatal vitamins while training for a half marathon for some of the reasons you listed (hair and nails). She thought they were great and they didn't affect her training at all. In fact, she thought they helped.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    They really aren't different at all. They have more of the nutrients you need when you get pregnant like folic acid and iron, etc. In all honesty they are just a normal vitamin. They are totally ok to take. They won't make you gain any weight, if that is what your concerned with :-)

The extra iron in them can make you nauseous. Either take them right before bed, with milk, or with a small bit of food. :-) I believe they also have B vitamins that help with energy as well.
  • HeatherDMcGuire
    Options
    My nails grew longer and stonger when I changed my multi-vitamin with the prenatal. Good, smart choice...and they are sooo much less expensive:)
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it would work but when I was taking prenatals, they were really hard on my stomach. They would make me sick whereas I could take a regular multi-vitamin and even Flintstones.

If you want something for hair, skin, and nails, I would take anything with Biotin... I've taken a Biotin supplement I got at the Vitamin Shoppe and my hair grew pretty quick and had strong nails, also.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I take them regularly and I'm not pregnant...they have extra stuff in them that I need...I take vitafusion pre-natal gummies...love them
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was told that years ago.
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    they have more folic acid in them than regular ones...which is why it makes your hair and skin healthier. But overall, yes they are pretty much the same.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference in Prenatal vitamins vs. 'regular' ones is the folic acid levels in the vitamin. Many women's folic acid levels are low, which is why they add it to prenatal vitamins, as it is important for conception and the health of the fetus.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have been taking prenatal vitamins for the past 3 yrs...been the best vitamin for me..keeps my energy up as well. The doctor told me it's the best vitamin for a woman to take....
    I have a guy friend who actually takes them too....for several years....doctor recommended to him...
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I''ve been on and off them since Jr. High per my doctor - so that's about 30 years:-) They are good. Full of Iron so if you get a bit nauseous take right before bed (I barf mine up in 15-20min in the am). I get mine from the heathfood store. I like sisu - You get what you pay for with vitimins so talk to your health food store and find a good brand for you.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I take them. I find them great!!!!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend any of the multi-vitamins from Thorne Research or Biotics. They are more expensive than others but, they are made with the most absorbent form of each vitamin and mineral. This is a bit inconvenient compared to Centrum, etc. but, you get what you pay for.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I take Jamieson Prenatal Multivitamin every day.

My doctor recommended I start taking them because
    a.) I'm anemic and they provide you with 100% of your iron RDI, and
    b.) because I'm of child bearing age--and if I were to get pregnant, it would be better for the growing baby if I already had all those good vitamins pumping through my body.

My hair and nails grow like crazy--I'm not joking. I have to cut my bangs every 4 days, and trim my nails every 2 days...which makes for short lived pedis/manis!

I strongly suggest taking them. Definitely don't have to worry about gaining weight, I've been taking them since I first started trying to lose.
  • roxyjo1
    roxyjo1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have been taking prenatal vitamins for several months to get my hair & nails ready for my wedding. I can't say I've necessarily noticed any difference, but I will probably continue to take them even after the wedding.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have taken them for years, through both of my pregnancies and I still take them, they have a little bit more of everything you need and have more folic acid in them,

they are known to help with hair but I personally think that its from a pregnancy and NOT the vitamins that womens nails grow better and stronger and their hair looks better because I took them before I had my kids and never noticed a difference but once I got pregnant with my oldest my nails looked great
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    A prenatal vitamin is different from a regular woman's multivitamin in the following ways:

- more iron (a non-pregnant woman of child-bearing age requires about 18 mg of iron per day, a pregnant woman requires about 30 mg) - you can absolutely overdose yourself on iron, so if you're going to go the prenatal vitamin route, I would highly suggest talking to your doctor about the iron content

- folic acid (a non-pregnant woman needs less, a pregnant woman needs more - this is to prevent spinal cord related birth defects)

- zinc and vitamin C are also generally higher

- Vitamin A in prental vitamins is generally lower (high doses of vitamin A have been proven to cause birth defects)