Good Carbs vs. Bad Carbs

Options
Seems like carbs have just gotten bad press as it relates to nutrition but I know there must be some good carbs. However, I'm unsure what to look for to determine if a carb is good or bad. Can anyone help me with this?

Replies

• muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, whole wheat....
    Vegetables-best good carbs...
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What are 'good' carbs?

The simple answer to this question is this: good carbs are unprocessed carbohydrates in their 'natural' state - or very close to their natural state. In other words they have been minimally altered by man or machine (or not altered at all). Most diet experts agree that green vegetables are the 'ultimate' good carbs. In fact, pretty much all 'leafy' vegetables and fruits fit into this category. Beans and legumes are also, generally, included on the 'good carbs' list, as are nuts and seeds. Finally, whole-grain cereal foods - including whole-grain breads and pastas - are considered by many to be good carb foods (although there is some disagreement over this).

Good carbs have these healthy characteristics:

high in fiber: helps you stay full longer (and avoid overeating), provides sustained energy, lowers cholesterol levels, helps to remove toxins from the body
    low glycemic index: stabilizes blood sugar levels and insulin production
    high in nutrients: natural vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients promote health and help to prevent chronic disease
    low 'energy-density' (except nuts & seeds): provides sustained energy, promotes healthy weight loss and long-term weight maintenance
    greater 'thermic effect': naturally stimulates metabolism and promotes fat loss

Many popular weight loss diets incorporate good carbs into their eating plans because they are so effective at lowering insulin production and stabilizing blood sugar levels. Also, because of their high fiber-content, good carbs make you feel fuller and help you to avoid overeating - a major problem for many people trying to lose weight safely!

To sum it up, the following food types are generally considered to be good carbs and should make up most or all of your carb intake:

whole vegetables
    whole fruits
    beans
    legumes
    nuts
    seeds
    whole cereal grains
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    This following information came fromt this website
    > http://www.fatburn-secrets.com/good-carbs-bad-carbs.html

Good Carbs Bad Carbs List
    Good carbs, also referred to as Complex Carbohydrates, are carbohydrates that are digested slowly and release their sugar steadily thereby not causing insulin spikes.
    Our list of good carbs:

Sweet potatoes
    Fruit and vegetables are a great source of carbs. They help the digestion and metabolism of other foods, are rich in nutrients, and are low calorie foods.
    Whole grains like oats and other cereals
    Brown rice, millet, barley, bulgur and wheat berries
    Beans, legumes, lentils, chick peas etc.
    Nuts and seeds

Bad carbs, also referred to as simple carbohydrates, are usually foods high in processed sugar. Simple carbohydrates release their energy almost immediately which results in insulin spikes that can cause our bodies to store fat.
    Our list of bad carbs:

Refined grains and white flours like white bread, white pasta, and white rice
    Processed foods like waffles, cakes, cookies, biscuits, pancakes, chips, lunch meats, hotdog's etc.
    Puddings, custards, jellys and jams.
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    The complex carbs are good ( Whole grains)
  • MichMich1982
    Options
    Thank you all. Have a better idea now of what to avoid. Helps me plan my meals better.