Stubborn Stomach Fat Help

Options
So I have been going back to the gym steady since January and weightlift 3-5 days a week. I’m gaining muscle in my legs and slowly leaning out my arms but the only thing is the bottom part of my stomach still has that bulge look and love handles although they are smaller now. I am trying to maintain if not gain weight (muscle) and have been tracking eating on here, should I just lower my carbs, calories or both? I’m currently eating 1,510 calories a day and carbs at 189. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• SwissDave
    SwissDave Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At 50 I’ve struggled to build muscle and lose weight but after a few years I’ve got down to 14% body fat, fairly muscular and looking quite good for an old boy. But I still have a blob of belly fat left centred around my belly button that will not shift.
    So today I am going to have the fat frozen! I will do before and after pics and take proper fat fold thickness measurements with calipers to see how well it works.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/special-features/can-you-really-freeze-your-10079503.amp
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) Calorie deficit
    2) Consistency
    3) Time
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, if you are gaining weight, some of that will be fat unfortunately.

What are your stats to be gaining on 1500 calories though? Are you using a food scale to measure your intake?
  • Priscilla096
    Priscilla096 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yea I kind of figured it’s mostly genetics and was actually looking at cool sculpting! I will probably not go this route unless there is absolutely no other way I’m going to give it more time. And yea I have my measuring cups and scale my diet is pretty consistent I think I am just becoming impatient. It takes a lot of work and patience
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea I kind of figured it’s mostly genetics and was actually looking at cool sculpting! I will probably not go this route unless there is absolutely no other way I’m going to give it more time. And yea I have my measuring cups and scale my diet is pretty consistent I think I am just becoming impatient. It takes a lot of work and patience

Again if you are bulking you will gain some fat. Don't panic... when you cut down you can maintain most of the muscle you build and drop the fat. The stomach may be the last place to go for you, but with patience and continued muscle building you will find it will help the situation.

How fast are you gaining? If you are very petite (which I assume you are based on your intake) you may notice that 1lb of gain is more visible on your frame vs someone who is taller.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Again if you are bulking you will gain some fat. Don't panic... when you cut down you can maintain most of the muscle you build and drop the fat. The stomach may be the last place to go for you, but with patience and continued muscle building you will find it will help the situation.

How fast are you gaining? If you are very petite (which I assume you are based on your intake) you may notice that 1lb of gain is more visible on your frame vs someone who is taller.

If she is “bulking” at 1,500 cals, how many will she need to cut??? :/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

If she is “bulking” at 1,500 cals, how many will she need to cut??? :/

I think she's cutting from the original, I'd like to hear what she is actually doing though.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's only been less than 3 months based on the original post. Sounds like you are seeing results but not as fast as you would like. I'd say just be patient.

If you want to lose fat and maintain/add muscle at the same time, that takes a longer than bulking/cutting. If you keep your caloric intake at a maintenance level or better yet at a slight deficiet (300+/-) and up your protien this will help the process.

But it sounds like you are already on the right track, just need to give it more time. If you just want to loose fat, just put yourself in a caloric deficiet of about 300-500 calories.
  • omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Well the thing is also that you need to build the abs more. So on your next bulking cycle you need to prioritize building muscle in the midsection that way on your next cut it will be tighter
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    omar57 wrote: »
    Well the thing is also that you need to build the abs more. So on your next bulking cycle you need to prioritize building muscle in the midsection that way on your next cut it will be tighter

Could you explain what you mean by "tighter"?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Some fat cells have a high ratio of alpha-2:beta-2 receptors (found in the mitochondria of adipose tissue), and will be the last to go. While eating in a surplus, you shouldn't expect to lose that fat.

When eating at a deficit, you might be able to improve your ability to get rid of those "stubborn fat" cells by using an alpha antagonist and/or a beta agonist. I won't say more because those products can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
  • omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I mean like “not soft” or “flabby” with every cut our goal or at least my goal is to look leaner and more muscular.