I can't quit sweets - ideas??

Options
Hi everyone - my eating is getting a lot better, but I just can not give up the sweets. I think I am doing okay until I look at my daily log and its candy here, mini cupcake there. Anyone have any ideas to help me break this addiction? I know people say fruit, but I eat a lot of fruit and it doesn't seem to work. HELP! I have a long way to go until my goal!

Replies

• HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! I have the worst sweet tooth! I find it helps to cut back on the amount of sweets I'm eating and to not have them as readily available. Ex. I used to always keep some m&ms at my office but now I don't.... keeps me from snacking when I don't need to! Good luck!
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I found that working more flavor into my food helped me to ease back on the sugar and salt. Now I use more flavors like mustard, ginger, horseradish, etc. in my cooking and that helps! When I have a major craving for something sweet, I'll have cup of a fruity herbal tea like the ones by Celestial Seasonings (blueberry, raspberry zinger, etc.) and that really helps! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am (was) also a HUGE sweet eater.
    I found if you stop eating them, you stop craving them.

True Story.

I can't just eat a bite, or a piece and let the rest go. I've learned the hard way that I have to refrain all together, and surprisingly, it gets easier!

Good Luck!
  • cammers74
    Options
    Im challenging myself to quit all that crap too! Started on Monday and doing much better this week, only a slip up here and there (mainly down to a buffet lunch at work) but have so far gone all week without any sweets at all and only a teeny amount of chocolate.
    Good luck - feel free to add me if you want egging on to leave it alone. You can help me in return! :)
    Lynds
  • xsupertiffx
    Options
    When I just have to have a sweet, I go for a 40 calorie fudgesicle. I calm the craving and feel like I have splurged.
  • onek9lover
    Options
    Sugar free pudding is a nice treat. I also found a sugar free mousse that you can make with skim milk, thats about 60 calories a serving and still tastes sweet. We also like these frozen greek yogurt bars that are available at bj's or skinny cow ice cream sandwiches that only have 140 calories. This should help you a little bit. If anyone else has suggestions I would love to hear them too.
  • holli3586
    holli3586 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I too have a major sweet tooth. Have a hard time going a day without something sweet. So I have found sweet alternatives with more natural sugars; like grain sweetened chocolate chips, agave sweetened ice "cream" (it is dairy free, so not really ice cream), date juice sweetened sesame bars etc. Go to your health food store and find things that are better for you so you can have your "fix" without feeling like you are completely ruining your diet. Be careful, though. Even at health food stores the "natural" foods can have a lot of sugar in them, you have to be choosy.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I get the craving I chew some really good sugar free gum - whatever you like. Extra has some desert flavors like mint chocolate chip, strawberry shortcake, etc. that really help to hit the spot.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Quit putting it in your mouth. Quit buying it. No one can control what you put in your mouth but you. The more junk you put in the more junk you are gonna crave. The more you crave it the more you will eat it.....vicious cycle. Stop it but simply not putting it in your mouth.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    For me - what works is taking 2 weeks where I eat protein, a few servings of fruit, yogurt, and veggies. Within a few days, my cravings go down. At the end of that 2 weeks, I begin adding back the whole grains and continue to skip as much processed food as possible to keep those cravings from coming back.
  • jmikels67
    jmikels67 Posts: 116
    Options
    I have major sweet tooth too. I have found if I choose the sweets I really love (mostly chocolate, but also ice cream) and have a little of that thing most days of the week I can manage it. For example, you can have 30 semi sweet chocolate chips for 7 calories - I eat 2 at a time, letting them melt in my mouth and really enjoying the flavor. Or I make sugar free fat free chocolate fudge pudding, add lite whipped topping to make mousse, and can enjoy a nice bowl. If you have Meijer - they have Slender Selections Ice Cream - a mint chocolate sandwich only 100 calories. Plus check the recipe boards for other great low cal treats. Also, I like Extra Sugarfree Dessert gum - my fave is Mint Chocolate Chip - tastes like the real thing, plus chewing satisfaction for only a few calories! Find what you love in sweets, and find a low cal way to enjoy it, and be sure to log everything you're eating (accountability) then you'll be able to moderate your intake! Good luck!
  • Ctyndall81
    Options
    To me stopping smoking was easier then stopping the sugar cravings! Once you do though ive heard the cravings subside. Ive done this before and want to do it again. I hope you can find what works for you. Good luck!
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Diet soda makes it so much worse for me. I get my sweet fix from morning fruit smoothies or coffee.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    tea is a good suggestion.. add some sweetener, you'd be surprised how delicious it can be. i love Tazo passion tea.

add naturally sweet things to your diet, like berries drizzled with honey. i also love greek yogurt mixed with sweetener and some mini chocolate chips, 100-cal sandwhich thins with some butter/sugar/cinnamon or even some peanut butter & choclate chips on top.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I can't give up sweets - so I just try to find healthier alternatives. Sugar Free Jell-O, Cool Whip Free, Sugar Free Cookies from Whole Foods, Weight Watchers Ice Cream bars & pops, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches, Frozen Yogurt, etc...

I had a major problem with the mid afternoon slump, that was my main trigger for sweets and I just started getting a cup of tea. Every time I wanted a sweet I got a cup of tea (this was 4-6 cups of tea every afternoon sometimes, lol). After 1 month, I overcame that specific issue.
  • sandeev
    sandeev Posts: 44
    Options
    Hi Kt, I find that popping a stick of sugar free flavored gum in my mouth helps when I crave a sweet. Can't mention a brand name, but my favorite flavors are 'mint chocolate chip' and 'key lime'. If you can dicipline yourself to eliminate sugar from your eating plan you'll soon lose your 'sweets' craving and feel sooooooo much better. Only eat 2 fruit servings a day and eat them before 2pm. Eat a lot of low carb, low sugar veggies. Hang in there, it gets better with dicipline, NOT willpower.:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just a piece of fruit isn't going to do it. I know. I'm a reformed sweets junkie!

I've mostly cut out most sweets from my diet and after a while, you stop craving it, but it takes some time. A couple of my tricks:

Almost every day, I have 6 little squares of Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate with a little peanut butter. Yes, it's a sweet (candy), but a healthy one -- dark chocolate has healthy fats, antioxidants, iron, calcium, protein ... and dark chocolate is an appetite suppressant, so it's filling (and tastes like chocolate cheesecake!). I also have Blue Diamond cinnamon and brown sugar almonds -- I'll measure out an ounce for a snack or an extra protein with a meal.

Finally, I have a fruit smoothie almost every evening and the way I make it is like a dessert:

1 banana
    1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup each of raspberries and blackberries
    1T Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter
    Ice
    Dollop of LIGHT whipped cream

Those things give you a sweet fix in a healthy, filling way.

And if you have junk around the house, get rid of it. The temptation is too much! If you actually have to leave to house to get that stuff, you won't unless you REALLY want it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    tea is a good suggestion.. add some sweetener, you'd be surprised how delicious it can be. i love Tazo passion tea.

add naturally sweet things to your diet, like berries drizzled with honey. i also love greek yogurt mixed with sweetener and some mini chocolate chips, 100-cal sandwhich thins with some butter/sugar/cinnamon or even some peanut butter & choclate chips on top.

Tea, too! Glad someone else mentioned it. :-) I add a little honey to mine.
  • joymeg1
    joymeg1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've found I have a lot less sugary cravings since eliminating the diet soda. I used to have a big sweet tooth, but feel I have much better control over it since quiting 8 weeks ago.