Go to foods

Options
nene4233
nene4233 Posts: 12 Member
What are some go to foods, meals that keep you full??

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I love using roasted broccoli or cauliflower as a main. Then 4 oz of either grilled chicken, steak or fish. Sometimes I do 2 of the small red potatoes too. To keep it interesting, change the seasonings and sauce. I'll switch around from marinara, teriyaki, salsa, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, mustard. And then I also use roasted garlic in there too.
  • nene4233
    nene4233 Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    That sounds amazing
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    4oz chicken breast, minced (I do it by hand).
    Some bell pepper, tomato, onion, mushroom... Don't need a whole lot, but also minced.
    BBQ sauce, gochujang, or maybe teriyaki sauce if I'm not wanting it spicy

Wrap it. Collard green, lettuce, cabbage, kale, doesn't matter.

NOMNOMNOM. ~ A~ <3
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    frittata: egg beaters or eggs, goat cheese, cauliflower, sweet potato, rosemary, garlic
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie budget for such a meal?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    avocado / grilled chicken / lots of eggs / raw almonds / fresh apples / broccoli / water
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    egg whites, lean ground turkey, 0% greek yogurt, protein bars, non starchy vegetables
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, you're not supposed to, stay full, just to get enough. It's normal to feel satisfied after a meal, then feel empty, and hungry again before you eat. If you are or have been overweight, you need to relearn how these sensations are supposed to feel, for you, and interpret them correctly.

You can eat whatever you like. A healthy diet is balanced and varied, enough of everything you need every day, and not too much of anything over time, and different fooods through the day and from day to day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For me, for a meal to be filling it has to have at least something starchy and between 5-10 grams of fat. Not having starch leaves me hungry after finishing the meal, and not having fat at all makes me get hungry sooner after a good meal. I also need the meal to be a decent size for it to be filling, so it needs to have vegetables or water. Also, and this is a bit weird, I'm satiated better if the meal is satisfying (foods I like). For some things, the texture also affects my satiety, like stews, thicker soups, porridge-like texture...etc.

Extra fat doesn't do much for me in terms of satiety but it does for taste, so some of my meals have higher fat. Protein is important for health so I make sure I have enough of it throughout the day although some meals may have a little bit less than the typical dieter.

Example things that are filling for me:
    - Semolina porridge with milk and a bit of butter
    - Chicken and barley soup
    - Greek yogurt sandwich with tomatoes and cucumbers on the side
    - Tuna salad with white beans and cucumbers
    - Pasta bulked up with vegetables
    - Stew on rice
    - Potatoes and mushrooms with ground beef
  • dart_si
    dart_si Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Steak always keeps me full. It's am easy and quick meal if you get it thin cut.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, you're not supposed to, stay full, just to get enough. It's normal to feel satisfied after a meal, then feel empty, and hungry again before you eat. If you are or have been overweight, you need to relearn how these sensations are supposed to feel, for you, and interpret them correctly.

You can eat whatever you like. A healthy diet is balanced and varied, enough of everything you need every day, and not too much of anything over time, and different fooods through the day and from day to day.

And what if OP (and millions of others) would just like to stay full longer? There's no problem with that--in fact, it helps a lot of people not overeat, and just to feel better overall. Some people have hypoglycemia issues and literally feel sick and eat all the foods when they get too hungry or empty feeling. "Learning to be hungry" doesn't "fix" everyone. Plus, when you're trying to lose weight and eating at a deficit, I think we can all use extra help/tips from others on what is filling. This can actually help people to eat "not too much of anything over time"...

The whole point of OP's question is, what foods are filling so I don't have to eat a ton of food to feel full? A very legit question, and the particular foods you eat can make a difference in satiety.

For me, it pretty much needs to include protein. One of my favorite filling meals that sticks with me for a while is 1-2 scrambled eggs, rolled in a tortilla with some cheese. About 300-350 calories, and filling! Add a piece of fruit, and I'm good for several hours.

Greek yogurt and a banana is a very filling snack!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think pointing out that it's okay to feel hungry between meals is really good advice.

For what keeps you full longer, it really depends on the person and comes down to experimentation. The main thing that keeps me from feeling hungry isn't specific foods, but having a normal eating schedule that doesn't involve eating between meals and eating a reasonably nutrient-dense diet with plenty of fiber.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    3-4 ounces of protein, a tiny bit of starch (potatoes. rice etc) and a whole whack of veggies either steamed or roasted. This is the kind of meal that keeps me full the longest.
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get used to feeling hungry between meals but I notice I do overeat when this happens because I go from feeling hungry to feeling ravenous in no time at all. And usually get a headache. And then I eat too fast. And usually get a stomach ache. Eating 'real' foods help like fresh fruit and chicken and eggs and veggies and greek yogurt. Its the processed snack bars, carbs, crackers, pretzels, etc. that make me want to keep snacking and nibbling.
    My 'Go To' snacks are apples when I need to nibble and greek yogurt (different flavors or ones with mix-ins) if I need something desserty. My 'Go To' meals are my meal-prepped breakfasts and lunches. I grab Special K protein shakes (I like the taste) and hardboiled eggs at breakfast. The base is either grilled chicken or turkey meatballs. then I add either fresh spinach, feta and cranberries with walnuts, or jasmine rice with roasted veggies, or sweet potato, or zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash with marinara. I usually do 2 options per week so I don't get TOO bored.
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    ^^^This
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My go to is riced vegetables (Green Giant). You can season them in so may ways (I use lemon pepper, a little parmesan cheese) I also add protein like beans and shrimp and a little avocado. Very low calorie, healthy and you can eat a lot of it!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I eat home made turkey tacos to keep me fueled during lunch. But to keep myself from being hungry before that I will eat something hearty for breakfast like egg cups or overnight oats smoothies.