C25k

Options
Hello everyone,
I currently run for 20 minutes on treadmill with walking intervals for a total 30 minutes. I have reached this in a month. I recently discovered C25k which will help me run 5 km and i can run those 20 minutes in one go. But I wanted to ask should i start from week 1 or a more advanced week?
Thank you
Ps i can run for 10 minutes in one go easily now.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you can run for 10 minutes then start at the week closest to 10 minute intervals.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If you can run for 10 minutes then start at the week closest to 10 minute intervals.

Yeah, I agree with this. Read over the workouts and start with the week that matches closest to what you're already doing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Week 3. That will give you a chance to ramp up..
  • vermilionflower
    vermilionflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think week 6 has a run with 10 minutes of running in most c25k programs.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting with week 5 or 6, whichever one has you running the 8 and 10 minute intervals. You're only a few weeks away from hitting that 30 minute goal, and then you can work on increasing distance (unless you can run a 5k in that 30 minutes already). I'm on week 7, running 25 minutes without stopping, and definitely won't be able to run 5k in 30 minutes any time soon, but I'll get there eventually.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I would suggest week 4 so that you've got at least a week before your first long run.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I would suggest starting at week 4, rather than 5 or 6. The reason for that is that whilst each run within W5 is within your capacity, the accumulation in a session is a bit beyond that. I'd also highlight that progression in W6 is quite rapid and whilst D1 is reasonable I suspect that D3 would be more challenging. The point of C25K is about not doing too much, too soon. If you rush too far ahead then you're doing just that.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Personally I would suggest starting at week 4, rather than 5 or 6. The reason for that is that whilst each run within W5 is within your capacity, the accumulation in a session is a bit beyond that. I'd also highlight that progression in W6 is quite rapid and whilst D1 is reasonable I suspect that D3 would be more challenging. The point of C25K is about not doing too much, too soon. If you rush too far ahead then you're doing just that.

I would agree with this as well.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Much more articulate than my answer, but Yeah, all this.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FWIT, look at the printed statement of the program, find the week that starts with what you are doing now and start at the week before. You MAY lose the week you're going back to, but you're keeping yourself safe and starting well within your capabilities. Training isn't the race. Training is training safe, injury free and keeping it enjoyable.
  • emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should be able to start around week 5 if you can do 20 minutes straight, but pay attention to your pace. You may want to go further back.