Question about protein powder...

Options
So I’ve been told that if you don’t work out a lot that protein powder drinks will just make you fat. Is that something that should actually be worried about? I mean I know that’s probably unlikely as long as it’s included in your calories for the day, right? I know protein makes you fuller longer so I’ve really been considering getting some protein powder drink mixes. Advice/opinions welcomed!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Too many calories makes you fat, regardless of where they come from.

The only use for protein shakes is to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting adequate amounts from the rest of your diet.

I don't find protein shakes (or any other liquid) particularly satiating, so I don't rely upon them for that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Plug your ears whenever that person tries to tell you more interesting stuff :D

The person above me is right :)
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There are 2 types of protein shakes. 1 that is pure protein and that have a very low calorie amount and then there is the one bulkers use with a ton of other stuff in it. If you use the pure protein one you should have an easy time fitting it in your calorie goal amount.

I use it myself since im very bad at getting enough protein in me and its only about 100 calories in a serving.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    There are 2 types of protein shakes. 1 that is pure protein and that have a very low calorie amount and then there is the one bulkers use with a ton of other stuff in it. If you use the pure protein one you should have an easy time fitting it in your calorie goal amount.

I use it myself since im very bad at getting enough protein in me and its only about 100 calories in a serving.

There is a third and those are the meal replacement shakes I have used them for last 1.5 years and lost 100+ lbs. Some don't like to drink meals I find it great no real thought to what to have for breakfast or lunch plus hard to get portion control wrong on a shake. But if doing this route the meal replacement ones have more micros in them and more calories but for a meal will probably beat a normal meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Too many calories makes you fat, regardless of where they come from.

The only use for protein shakes is to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting adequate amounts from the rest of your diet.

I don't find protein shakes (or any other liquid) particularly satiating, so I don't rely upon them for that.

Same here. But some people, like my wife, do find them very satiated, especially when mixed with Fairlife (aka- the best chocolate milk ever!!!).

Also, you can make a smoothie to add additional nutrients.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been told that if you don’t work out a lot that protein powder drinks will just make you fat. Is that something that should actually be worried about? I mean I know that’s probably unlikely as long as it’s included in your calories for the day, right? I know protein makes you fuller longer so I’ve really been considering getting some protein powder drink mixes. Advice/opinions welcomed!

Eating too many calories makes you fat, whether it comes from protein drinks or anything else.
  • lyssalosesit
    lyssalosesit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

Eating too many calories makes you fat, whether it comes from protein drinks or anything else.

That's true but if you are looking to bulk then you will be eating excess calories in the hope of building muscle rather than fat