Unpopular Opinion: LISS is Bliss

Options
I see so many advocates of HIIT and weight lifting but I'll be honest with you, setting up a peddler and passively peddling for two hours in front of the TV is way better for most obese folks than burning out trying to do squats and lunges and jumps. Sure sure there're probably better ways physiologically to burn calories, but I guarantee you big dudes and gals will stick to LISS a heck of a lot more than anything else if they don't embarass/hurt themselves and it doesn't impact their couch/t.v. time. Make up for fewer calories burned per hour by adding hours. The best diet/exercise program is the one you can stick to, so let's start encouraging LISS for those of us less likely to "hit the gym." Does us a lot of good and it don't do you any harm. Thoughts?

Replies

• asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "Low Intensity Slow State" basically long slow cardio, a leisurely walk rather than running sprints.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    asviles wrote: »
    I see so many advocates of HIIT and weight lifting but I'll be honest with you, setting up a peddler and passively peddling for two hours in front of the TV is way better for most obese folks than burning out trying to do squats and lunges and jumps. Sure sure there're probably better ways physiologically to burn calories, but I guarantee you big dudes and gals will stick to LISS a heck of a lot more than anything else if they don't embarass/hurt themselves and it doesn't impact their couch/t.v. time. Make up for fewer calories burned per hour by adding hours. The best diet/exercise program is the one you can stick to, so let's start encouraging LISS for those of us less likely to "hit the gym." Does us a lot of good and it don't do you any harm. Thoughts?

this is pretty much inline with recent research - ways to increase your TDEE without going headon ito a high cardio work - the examples like park your car at the back of the store parking lot; take a set of stairs etc
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

this is pretty much inline with recent research - ways to increase your TDEE without going headon ito a high cardio work - the examples like park your car at the back of the store parking lot; take a set of stairs etc

Does that research say that "LISS" activities are *better than* higher intensity workouts for TDEE, or only that they are effective for increasing TDEE?

Estimates and approximations being what they are, my data suggests I burn more calories when my 15k steps include a 5 mile run and normal lifestyle stuff vs normal lifestyle stuff + a crap ton of walking.
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Does that research say that "LISS" activities are *better than* higher intensity workouts for TDEE, or only that they are effective for increasing TDEE?

Estimates and approximations being what they are, my data suggests I burn more calories when my 15k steps include a 5 mile run and normal lifestyle stuff vs normal lifestyle stuff + a crap ton of walking.

Well, you may burn more calories with a run, but if you don't stick to it or aren't capable of it, we shouldn't trash LISS IMO. Nothing wrong with doing some easy cardio if you're just trying to hit that calorie goal.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Well, you may burn more calories with a run, but if you don't stick to it or aren't capable of it, we shouldn't trash LISS IMO. Nothing wrong with doing some easy cardio if you're just trying to hit that calorie goal.

I agree, and I didn't mean to suggest that LISS was useless. I was just looking for clarification on deannalfisher's point regarding what exactly the research indicated.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm still going to still with variety is the spice of life and things should be mixed up but as a general statement yes I think people starting out LISS is easier to stick to especially if doing it for longer periods of time or if they have the ability to train at home.

I personally find LISS boring but end up doing a lot of MISS (moderate intensity steady state) since you can take it to the trains and run for a couple of hours and really push the endurance work. I can see how this would kill a newbie though as it would have killed me starting out.

And as eluded to above just increasing your NEAT will get you a long way through out your day as you can do small things to burn extra calories here and there that add up quickly.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd have to dig into it some more....i believe that it was effective in increasing TDEE but most of the studies weren't focused on purposeful exercise
  • noexcuses0626
    noexcuses0626 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! When I was starting out, there was no way I would have been able to do HIIT, let alone stick with it!!! I can't tell you the number of Beachbody programs I have bought, only to have them collect dust after the first four days because my body is so sore that I can't sit down, let alone face another workout!
    The most effective exercise for anyone is the one that they are going to stick with. For me, that was exercise DVDs, specifically Ellen Barrett's pilates-dance-yoga fusion style, which were low impact, but made me sweat and to this day remain challenging if done correctly.
    Now that I've lost weight, I also do HIIT training a few times a week, cycle and run, but I still hate those high-impact brain jiggling workouts like Jillian Michaels and Insanity.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh. I see what you mean. Yes, you are probably right.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Well you can't have it both ways. There are some people who encourage low intensity cardio...but the biggest complaint you see here is everyone hates cardio because it's boring. So it's hard to encourage something that (as you've pointed out) people aren't going to stick with. When you factor in all the variables like allotted time, benefit, enjoyment etc, the waters get a little more murky as to what can be recommended.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think, as with most things, it depends.

Sure, people not used to exercise/training are probably going to "like" lower intensity stuff better. Right up until you tell them they have to do it for 2 hours a day. Some people would rather go hard for a shorter period of time. Some people would rather do something leisurely. Ultimately, I do think maximizing enjoyment and minimizing dread goes a really long way.

I agree with the bold. At my heaviest, I preferred weightlifting over any form of cardio. (Still do)
    Some people may not desire or be able to do devote 2 (or more) hours per day to LISS, even if it is 'passive'.
    (Do I even have to mention that being over weight doesn't mean you're sitting on the couch doing nothing for hours every day??)

While walking (or peddling) is low impact, if you're not used to doing it, you can definitely do too much too soon. I've had my share of shin pain from too much walking too soon. (I'm also not a fan of peddling because my quads cramp up after about 20 minutes.)

The only thing I try to encourage is that people find ways of eating/exercising that they enjoy and works best for them personally. For some that may not even be exercise.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think, as with most things, it depends.

Sure, people not used to exercise/training are probably going to "like" lower intensity stuff better. Right up until you tell them they have to do it for 2 hours a day. Some people would rather go hard for a shorter period of time. Some people would rather do something leisurely. Ultimately, I do think maximizing enjoyment and minimizing dread goes a really long way.

That's me. Why waste time doing a slow exercise when you can go intense for half the time and burn the same calories. I have things to do.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Low Intensity Slow Steady State" basically long slow cardio, a leisurely walk rather than running sprints.

Not quite right so FIFY!
    Low Intensity Steady State and the duration isn't prescribed either.

It's a valid exercise choice that is suitable for many people including those who are unfit. It can also be dreadfully dull without external entertainment.
    Like all choices it's got pros and cons.