slipped disc :(

Options
what are the best exercises when you have a slipped disc? It's been hard to lift weights, but I want tone my muscles

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    what are the best exercises when you have a slipped disc? It's been hard to lift weights, but I want tone my muscles

Water walking to start with. Water therapy? *Talk to Dr or physical therapy before doing any excercise.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Only your doctor or physical therapist should answer that.

Yes!
  • atomicgiiraffe
    atomicgiiraffe Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I appreciate it :)
    I am seeing a PT and have been told to stick to light cardio. But was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what's worked with them
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a PT and have been told to stick to light cardio. But was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what's worked with them

It doesn't matter what worked for someone else. Your PT knows which disc, what condition your muscles are in, what your range of motion is...
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, speak to a professional. Not us.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Eh. I don't even trust many PTs. I listened to mine, didn't do exercise that hurt, and then read up on Dr. Stu McGill. The McGill big 3 helped me more than any of the PTs. If you trust yours and you are getting better, stay the course.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Eh. I don't even trust many PTs. I listened to mine, didn't do exercise that hurt, and then read up on Dr. Stu McGill. The McGill big 3 helped me more than any of the PTs. If you trust yours and you are getting better, stay the course.

McGill is one of the best, but he isn't examining you. Perfectly fair to read people like McGill and ask you r own doctor or PT if their recommendations would be helpful in YOUR case.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to not do squats within 3 months of removing my cast from ankle surgery. I got advice from someone on a message board that it's okay to do squats with light weight. It ended up setting my rehab back a couple of months. Moral of the story. Listen to your doctor, not a self-proclaimed expert on message boards.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    low resistance training such as pool workouts. Then you can hit the hot tub afterwards
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    hard to do anything if you're in a pain crisis from the disc
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Is there a reason you are doubting their advice?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    You've been told to stick to light cardio because I presume you're still in the acute phase of your injury. i.e. you're still in pain. Once your pain lessens, your PT should start working with you on strengthening exercises and stretches to keep you out of pain. If not, then it's time for a different PT. They're not all created equal. Finding one that works with athletes is good too.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else is saying. Talk to your PT or even better, your spine doctor.

I’m 10 month’s post op from my microdiscectomy from my herniated disk. I still have to be careful with lifting and even some cardio that engages twisting too much. Please please please listen to professionals and not people on a board. Everyone’s experience is different too! As someone mentioned, you should be working on strengthening that area to diminish the pain. It takes patience, but you only have one back.

Good luck!!!