Weight

Options
I'm a female at 5' 3' weighing WAAAYYY TO MUCH!!! Just started with this app and want to know what's sufficient for me to lose 2lbs a week without losing muscle??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you put your current stats and goals into MFP and gotten a calorie goal?
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You'd have to tell us how much you weigh for us to give you meaningful input. Enter your goals into MFP, select the "2 lb per week" weight loss rate, and see what it gives you for calories. A diet high in protein should help prevent you from losing muscle, but only if you continue to use those muscles.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm a female at 5' 3' weighing WAAAYYY TO MUCH!!! Just started with this app and want to know what's sufficient for me to lose 2lbs a week without losing muscle??

The best way to protect muscle as you lose is to lose weight at a reasonable pace, eat enough protein, and do some kind of weight bearing and resistance exercise to prioritize muscle.

Your profile says you have over 100 lbs to lose. In that case, 2 lbs per week is perfectly fine, as you get lighter you will want to incrementally slow down that pace.

I would start out just viewing the MFP default protein goal as a minimum. The typical recommendation here is to eat 0.6 - 0.8g of protein per lb of bodyweight, but with 100 lbs to lose that is probably higher than you need to go. But at the very least, get more than the goal MFP gives you.

You don't say how active you are, or are willing to be, but walking is a great way to get started. Beginning strength training as soon as you can is a great idea, so that's something to keep in mind and work towards.

Good luck!