Temptation

Options
I packed lunch today, but I was still hungry after.
This is what I ended up having
1/4 cup rice - 90 calories
Chicken Korma 110 calories
Spinach cooked in olive oil: 100 calories
1/2 bagel with cream cheese 190 calories
1 fun size twix 110 calories

my goal was 1200 calories for the day so I have 300 left... I am going to try and stick to it...

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    why is your goal 1200? Is that what MFP gave you? Is your deficit too aggressive? How much total weight are you trying to lose?
  • Jadu786
    Jadu786 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @aeloine - Yes that is what MFP gave me. :) I am trying to lose 10 lbs. I weigh 146-148 and I'd like to be 136-138
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With ten pounds to lose, half a pound a week is what you should be aiming for, which will give you more calories.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posters, you are less likely to stick to a reduced calorie "diet" when you eat to little. Go up a little on your calories and it will much easier. Also you are more likely to keep the weight off.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Jadu786 wrote: »
    I packed lunch today, but I was still hungry after.
    This is what I ended up having
    1/4 cup rice - 90 calories
    Chicken Korma 110 calories
    Spinach cooked in olive oil: 100 calories
    1/2 bagel with cream cheese 190 calories
    1 fun size twix 110 calories

my goal was 1200 calories for the day so I have 300 left... I am going to try and stick to it...

You have eaten almost all of your calories (900) around lunch time? This sounds like a horrible approach and not very good balancing of your intake.

I concur with the above about 1200 calories being too aggressive with only 10 pounds to lose. Are you exercising? If so eat these back? These are extra cals to eat on top of your calorie goal so this is an added bonus as well.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Eating all your calories early in the day might not work for you, in which case, I would suggest you learn from it. Are there other foods you can eat which are more filling with fewer calories? Think lots of vegetables without the oil, or whole fruit, or a light soup, so you can eat the same (or greater) volume, but fewer calories. This way you'll be able to not worry so much about having not enough calories to get you through the day.

I know most people say lose weight slowly to keep it off long term particularly if you only have a few to lose, but if you can tolerate the lower calories, I would suggest you try it to see how it works for you. I prefer losing weight quickly and managed to keep off practically all the weight I lost. It was incredibly motivating to see the change and I found sticking with it easy. I also learned a lot about myself.

On the other hand, losing weight quickly might not work for you, in which case, change the rate, recalculate and learn from that too. It's all good.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on low calorie high volume foods then.

For lunch I often have 1 bowl of soup (I have a low cal soup in a cup variety for 65cals), 2 pieces of rye bread (Ryvita - 30cals each) 1 bowl of lightly dressed salad (120gr lettuce with carrots with 5ml oil for 80cals), 1 cup low fat fruit yogurt (100cals or less), 3 clementines (60cals) and a mug of coffee for a grand total of 360cals. And I feel full.

A twix and creamcheese while yummy are too high in calories if you are on a tight budget.

When my health permits I burn an additional 400cal per day in the gym specifically to spend on treats and desserts. But no gym means no treats because I don't have the calories (sedentiary maintanance is 1500cal for me).

If you are new it might take some time until you find low calorie yummy (for you) foods to prepare or buy. It takes experience.