Easy shrimp recipe NOT in a pan?

Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
I have been craving shrimp and I love grilled shrimp as long as it has a good seasoning.. anyways last time I tried it in summer- I'm seriously THE worst cook over- the shrimp were rubbery and yuck.. since I'm so OCD I think I worry too much about the shrimp not being cooked enough
So!.. does anyone have a good shrimp recipe that involves shrimp that's already cooked, or one where I use another method like sticking in the oven? I'm having a hard time finding one!

Replies

• jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    look up sheet pan recipes on pinterest - you'll find a bunch of variations of easy just-stick-it-in-the-oven type recipes
  • Marlenef161616
    Marlenef161616 Posts: 18 Member
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    I have been craving shrimp and I love grilled shrimp as long as it has a good seasoning.. anyways last time I tried it in summer- I'm seriously THE worst cook over- the shrimp were rubbery and yuck.. since I'm so OCD I think I worry too much about the shrimp not being cooked enough
    So!.. does anyone have a good shrimp recipe that involves shrimp that's already cooked, or one where I use another method like sticking in the oven? I'm having a hard time finding one!

Roasted shrimp cocktail

Preheat oven to 400. Sprinkle salt and pepper on shrimp.
    Toss shrimp with olive oil and spread shrimp on a cookie sheet
    Roast shrimp for 5 to 6 minutes depending on how big they are
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I always buy the precooked pink shrimp! The first time I saw gray uncooked shrimp I was like, "what is wrong with those!"
    Personally, I like to make shrimp in the oven with some scampi seasoning. McCormick sells it in a little red bag- like taco seasoning. You just drizzle olive oile, sprinkle on some scampi, and then back for about 10 minutes.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Try to find these. Thaw and eat or simple heat through and have with whatever you are eating. Simple and convenient.

You can use these in recipes. Make your sauce or whatever without the shrimp, then after taking the dish off the stove, put in the defrosted shrimp just before serving so they don't overcook. Shrimp cook *very* quickly - in a couple of minutes. Most shrimp recipes call for the shrimp to be added for the last few minutes of cooking, if you buy precooked shrimp you want to complete all cooking before adding them so you don't end up with rubber.

Shrimp creole is easy, and one of my favorites:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/shrimp-creole-recipe-1940235
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    One trick I learned some where was to watch the shrimp as they cook if they curl into a "C" shape they are cooked. If they curl into a closed circle or "O" shape they are overcooked. I hope this helps.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    If you're really concerned about overcooking, then you're going to tend to turn your shrimp to rubber no matter what you do.

Outside of consciously 'undercooking' the shrimp or buying pre-cooked, the easiest thing to do would be to look into cooking in a water bath (also referred to as cooking 'sous-vide'). This way you will know that the shrimp have been heated to a food-safe temperature and yet you will also be able to control the cooking time/temp well enough to avoid overcooking the shrimp.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    If cooking in a pan or grill, watch shrimp like a hawk as they overcook easily. As soon as they are pink on one side they are done so turn them over immediately. On the second side it will only be a few seconds before they turn pink and should be removed from the heat.
  • amgpaints
    amgpaints Posts: 4 Member
    Preheat oven to 400. Place shrimp on a baking sheet.
    Toss shrimp with olive oil and Old Bay Seasoning ( I like a lot)
    Throw those bad boys in the oven and roast
    for 5 to 6 minutes , until they turn pink.
    You can always try one to see of it’s done or not.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Secret to grilling shrimp is to not leave the grill.