Thinking about buying a Kinect for exercise

Options
Does anyone have any experience using a Kinect and one of the many fitness games out there? I want something that will break up my rountine a little but I am worried that it wont help me break a sweat. Has anyone used one and got a good workout?

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the Adventures and play Zumba with my friend. It's a good workout, you do actually sweat! I play for about 40 minutes when I do play it. It's good when you feel like having fun or if it's raining outside and you can go for a jog hah
  • hphm420
    hphm420 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a Kinect and I feel that most of the games give me a pretty vigorous workout. I break a sweat every time I play it...not to mention that it is so fun that you don't really feel like your working out. :smile:
  • fall4u13
    fall4u13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the EA Sports game for Kinect and I LOVE IT!!!!!! You can definitely break a sweat, plus, it's just fun.. Lol. In addition to the workout games, I also use Dance Central. It doesn't even feel like exercising..

I totally recommend it. OF COURSE, that's only if you're actually gonna use it. It would be a waste to buy it, play with it for about a week, then call it quits.. Lol
  • Eurotraveller
    Options
    I have friends that use the Kinect and love it. I recently started doing the Wii Just Dance and I LOVE it! I'm sweating buckets by the end of one song ;-) Kinect has a dance game that is similar.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's good fun. I don't do it for 'proper' exercise, but do play on it with my daughter, and it's a nice way for us to do a bit of 'keep fitting' together. I have the Your Shape: fitness evolved game, and one of the dance games. These could both give you an adequate workout, I think. Also, things like kinect adventures are good just for getting off the couch a bit.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have the Kinects, and any game thats gets u up and moving is good. I have Dance Central and it has a calorie counter in the work out mode.
  • IvyDroid
    Options
    I have the Your Shape Fitness Evolved for Kinect. I haven't long been using it but I love that it tells you when you aren't performing an exercise correctly, so you're less likely to slack than you are with something like Wii Fit. I also play Dance Central which is great for cardio and fun at the same time!
  • abratt1113
    Options
    We bought one and I am trying to use the Zumba. I am pretty sure I look silly, but I definitely break a sweat.
    My husband uses the kick boxing game and he loves it.
    We traded in our Wii and I like the Kinect a lot better.
  • willowma
    willowma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have. I have played the game that comes with it., Motion Sports and Dance Central. The Adventure game that comes with it has several games that are very challenging, especially the obstacle course. Everytime i do it, I sweat like crazy!!
    I wanted to get the biggest loser game, but haven't yet, it's supposed to be great.
    I do recommend this because you have to use your whole body to run the game, not just your wrist like the WII.
    We got this for Christmas and played it almost every day and I lost 5 lbs over the holiday.
  • jms1996
    jms1996 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have it and my daughter and I work on it! It's a great think to enjoy! Good luck!
  • jforddesign
    jforddesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a kinect due to how much we enjoy wii's just dance 2 (great game). We purchased Dance Central for the kinect. Its a great rainy/too friggin hot day exercise. A few words of caution about the kinect.

1. It's gimmicky- The kinect has been used mostly by third party developers to crank out poorly designed games. There are a few fantastic titles for the kinect, with more on the way, but before you buy, look up some ign.com reviews on the various titles available for fitness (my recommendations are, dance central, biggest loser series, and ufc trainer) Also, watch youtube videos of these games in action and you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.

2. You need PLENTY of room- we live in a small rental house right now, while we are looking for a permanent home. There is about 10-11 feet between the kinect and our play area...you really need between 14-17 to play perfectly comfortably. It still works great though.

3. A plus for the kinect- Full integration for the xbox 360 is coming out soon...this means full kinect integration with the menu, netflix, live tv, so on and so forth.

4. NO CO-OP MULTIPLAYER ON DANCE CENTRAL! This one was a surprise for my wife and I. Co Op is treated as a "dance battle" where you take turns dancing through sections of songs. We solved this problem by doing calisthenics when we weren't dancing. Dance Central 2 WILL have simultaneous multiplayer.

All in all, if you are a wise consumer, and research the products that you buy before you buy them (and buy them used), the kinect can definately help you break a sweat... I HIGHLY recommend Dance Central. Bottom line...research games on IGN.com, watch youtube vids of gameplay, and you can't go wrong. Or just take the 200 dollars or so you would spend and take a martial arts class :D
  • terryrob2
    terryrob2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have. Wipeout for the kinects oh my gosh you will sweat your butt off and its really a lot of fun I played with my grandson and had a ball didn't feel like exercising at all!
  • nickikole1
    Options
    If I go over calories and don't feel like working out very much, I play Dance Central on the Kinect. I'm definitely sweating well before I'm done. I just make sure to play long enough for it to actually count as a decent workout. I have workout games with it, but I prefer the cardio that Dance Central provides and almost always play that instead.
  • ashleydeane
    ashleydeane Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have one thought it wasn't worth it till i read these posts! sweet!
  • KattKitty
    KattKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a dance fanatic by any means-- in fact, I'm "toe-tag white" when it comes to rhythm and won't even do it in front of my family, but I'm loving Dance Central more than 6 months later. The fight program doesn't pick up some of the moves accurately (which could just be the lighting at my house), but it definitely gives a good workout and the general games are fun and keep you moving. The Biggest Loser Workout works for me. You can either choose a program or not. It does NOT allow/compensate for things such as knee injuries, but it is a good little work out with several different levels and goals. I hope this is helpful.
  • rainbowfly
    rainbowfly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The UFC game for it is really fun. I was so tired by the time I was done that I just lay on the floor while it kept prompting "Player 1, where did you go?" Lol. Dance Central is also great.

It doesn't always pick up your movements exactly and sometimes you can cheat it on things like pushups, but if you are purposely cheating, what is the point anyway?
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Kinect, but I have the EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii. They also make the game for Kinect. I use it all the time and every workout I do on there, I'm sweating!
  • ryderr
    ryderr Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I was so suprised to see all of you post so fast. I was looking into getting one for those days I don't have the motovation for hitting the treadmill and for second exercises throughout the day. Plus it looks like a lot of fun! I forget the name of the game I want but its featured on xbox and you punch blocks or something. Every little bit helps! Thanks for the +1 on the space I live in an apartment, well more or less a room. Might be tricky to organize it so we will have room.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Two thumbs up for Kinect. It's the only "working out" my husband and I do. We have both lost a significant amount of weight. Kinect Sports, Dance Central and Your Shape Fitness Evolved are the ones we enjoy the most.

We bought it this past Christmas and have gotten more than our moneys worth. It's just plain fun!
  • hefinator
    hefinator Posts: 260
    Options
    I love my kinect!! I have Dance Central, and I put it on Calorie Mode... its so much fun!! I haven't played in a few weeks, but now that my house is clean, I can!! haha! the moves are fun, and get your heart rate going and the sweat pouring!! :)