How I Have Avoided A Plateau...So Far

Options
In the couple of months that I have been on MFP I have learned a lot through the the sharing of information from all the wonderful, generous people on this site. Now it's time to pay it forward. ;) I do not profess to be a guru or know more than anybody. I simply want to share what is working for me and welcome others to do the same.

My approach has been to be proactive rather than reactive. As part of this plan, I monitor my weight loss consistently, including unofficial daily weigh-ins. I know this is contrary to what many recommend, and indeed I do only log my weight once a week. But following daily fluctuations has helped me learn more about my body and the way food and exercise affect my weight. Daily weigh-ins help me identify trends and avoid potential gains. Two or three times already I have offset gains just days before my official weigh-in, producing a loss every week since I started this journey 10 weeks ago.

Here are the things I have done (in order) to avoid a rut...increased calorie allowance from 1200 to 1300, changed % of carbs/fat/protein to 40/30/30, switched from workout videos to C25K, got Vitamin B12 shots for energy (at the doc's office), stopped eating complex carbs after 7pm (then after 5pm for a few days), started calorie zig zagging and (this week) tried eating clean for 3 consecutive days. (I don't do all of these at the same time and some are just short term adjustments.)

My latest strategy, eating clean, gave me AMAZING results! This past week for about three days in a row I showed a one pound gain. That's when I decided to "clean up" my food intake. I don't think I eat poorly but I definitely consume too much processed food. So for the last 3 days, if it went through any kind of processing I tried my darndest to avoid it. That meant no prepared/pre-packaged foods (like frozen dinners), no bread, no pasta, no Splenda, no FiberOne bars, no Fat-Free Snack Packs...all my usual staples. Just lots of lean meats, fish, chicken fruits and veggies. (I had to make exceptions on one or two things since I can't afford to replace everything.) But it worked; within two days I lost the pound I had gained plus an additional two! I also lost an inch off my waist and hips. Will I continue to eat clean every day? As much as I would like to, probably not. But as long as I continue to monitor my weight I can continue making adjustments as I go along.

So long story, well, longer...don't get discouraged, be proactive. Getting out of a plateau is difficult so why not try to avoid it in the first place? I know it's impossible to avoid a plateau forever, especially once you're only 5-10 pounds away from your goal weight. But it definitely doesn't hurt to keep your body "guessing" and working for you!

I would love to hear more ideas on how you avoid plateaus. I'm only about half way through my goal so I need to have more tricks up my sleeve prepared!

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Very good information, thanks for sharing!
    :smile:
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice-thank you!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I haven't technically gotten to a plateau, but since I have lost 24 pounds I am working to avoid that plateau by zigzagging. gotta shock that body.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I needed this advice today! Thanks!
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. and how do u change the percentage on here-?
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yes, thank you so much for sharing! Plateaus motivation breakers!
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Great story. You do some of the same things I do.

After working out for 8 straight weeks, I take a week off. That's from lifting weights and cardio. Then I will switch up my routine, but I always lift weights, do cardio and eat clean....not 100% but pretty close. This gives your body a shock.

I always try to lift heavier and improve on what I'm doing. I've reached my goal, but it's never over. It's a lifestyle and you always have to keep at it.

Train hard.
    Chic
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Great advice...thanks for taking the time to share :)
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Good info!
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    oooo fab
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Go to MY HOME, then GOALS, then select change goals, then select custom.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    thats great, yes I am having a week of exercise I suddenly realised I hadn't given myself a proper break since January. A bad cold kicked in really badly last week and I'm still recovering, so I'm giving myself a week off exercise and a little let up on the calorie front. No weighing as I have no scales at home and have banned myself from the gym. But you know what, i think I've lost weight! Oh and I always eat clean anyway thats no adjustment but i definitely think the quality of the calories you are consuming are as important as the quantity.
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Go to MY HOME, then GOALS, then select change goals, then select custom.

THanks!!!