Life change day 2.

Options
Hi. New here. Well more of a bouncer. I tried several times and gave up. Tired of looking in the mirror and being disappointed or not wanting to be in pictures because I don’t like the way I look. I have 3 kids; 6,4, and 2. One thing I doing is staying away from the word diet. It a life change. I don’t know why, but it works. I think for me the word dieting is just too intimidating and my fat belly don’t like it.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your life change, try to be less hard on yourself when you look in the mirror, having 3 kids will take it's toll on your body and your free time to look after yourself, but you should try and make yourself a priority too!

A lot of people tend to give up/yo-yo/serial start here because they go to aggressive and over-complicate weight loss. Take your time, it's better to set a sustainable rate of loss and take a year to lose 50lbs than lose the same 10lbs of water weight over and over again.

Make small changes over time, to form better habits and they are more likely to stick. Unless you truly can't moderate something or you have a medical reason there isn't really any need to cut things out of your diet either, just fit them in and eat things you enjoy.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Diets are temporary. You have the right mentality now just keep coming back. Log everything. Even on bad days. Don't let a slip up completely derail you. Just keep going!
  • KThompson042310
    KThompson042310 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank y’all.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Welcome! In the past when I decided to go on a "diet" the very word caused me to eat more. You came to the right place to accomplish your goals. There are lots of knowledgeable people on here that can help you. Good luck from a 64 year old woman that wishes I had done this 35+ years ago when I was still young! Better late than never though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah 'diets' usually have an end point... make lasting changes that will mean you will lose weight and keep it off.

All the best. :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi. New here. Well more of a bouncer. I tried several times and gave up. Tired of looking in the mirror and being disappointed or not wanting to be in pictures because I don’t like the way I look. I have 3 kids; 6,4, and 2. One thing I doing is staying away from the word diet. It a life change. I don’t know why, but it works. I think for me the word dieting is just too intimidating and my fat belly don’t like it.

@KThompson042310 that is an awesome decision.

In 2014 at the age of 63 my health was going downhill faster than an avalanche after 40 years of yo-ing weight.

I decided to never 'diet' again after 40 years of dieting failures.

This time I just cut out added sugars and all forms of grains on a hunch and instead computing calories. It quickly stopped my binging on the typical high carb/high fat processed food.

Over the next year I lost 50 pounds eating to stay full which I have maintained for going on 3 years plus all of my health marks have greatly improved. At 67 my general health trendline continues to improve.

Now what I did may or may not apply to any other human so each one of us have to work to learn the way(s) that work best for ourselves. I am now certain that eating right always starts with a mind change and not just food from some marketing company.