PCOS and Sugar

Options
Hello everyone,

Quick question - I use sugar in my coffee in the mornings. Not much though. Is it better to use the sugar than sugar subs? Ive heard so much negative things about the sugar subs and PCOS.

Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Christinamosher
    Options
    Try Stevia. It's natural (an extract from a plant) and it won't effect your blood glucose levels. I use Stevita brand, but they also have a line at most health food stores.
  • mikylovr
    Options
    i have PCOS as well and i use Splenda with no issues. Good luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    its all a matter of opinion, I personally use Splenda when I have coffee in the morning, which has less carbs .. Sugar however does effect your sugar levels vs Splenda or other substitute does not... Remember we want to prevent sugar spikes in our body... which cause us to be hungry!

However with that said, this is a lifestyle change, if it's working for you to use sugar than let it be and fit it into your daily foods..
  • Choirgirl37
    Options
    Many woman with PCOS also have insulin resistance. While I don't have time to explain the chemistry, less sugar is better.

In fact, you will find the low GI foods make you feel better and more functional. I always check the sugar content of everything i eat. Anything with more than 12 grams is a no for me. For coffee, I use the sugar free flavored creamer, splenda or I take it black.

I can't tell you that sugar substitutes are better, because in a way they are and at the same time they have their own evils such as triggering cravings. Also, the research is still out as far as just how safe they are.

I still use splenda, but in moderation.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Try Stevia. It's natural (an extract from a plant) and it won't effect your blood glucose levels. I use Stevita brand, but they also have a line at most health food stores.

Just because something is natural and comes from a plant doesn't mean its safe.

There are a lot of questions surrounding stevia use in large quantities, moreso then the companies now pushing it will admit to. Stevia was rejected by the FDA in the 90's because of research showing it reduced fertility in rats. And it has shown to have potential mutative effects on DNA (ie cancer causing).

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/is_stevia_safe

The bottom line is there hasn't been enough research into the current reformation (Truvia) and the research into the leaf form itself isn't exactly good.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I agree completely I switched to low glycemic index and am much more functional. Losing weight better too. Pcos is tough but we can control it. But it has to be a daily lifestyle change. Good luck!!

Many woman with PCOS also have insulin resistance. While I don't have time to explain the chemistry, less sugar is better.

In fact, you will find the low GI foods make you feel better and more functional. I always check the sugar content of everything i eat. Anything with more than 12 grams is a no for me. For coffee, I use the sugar free flavored creamer, splenda or I take it black.

I can't tell you that sugar substitutes are better, because in a way they are and at the same time they have their own evils such as triggering cravings. Also, the research is still out as far as just how safe they are.

I still use splenda, but in moderation.
  • Emerald5152
    Options
    This is a long video but I found it to be pretty informative regarding artificial sweeteners... http://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t#p/f/4/VUo2XW0z218
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I personally like splenda but I also use agave and stevia/truvia.
    You'll get a million answers on this one as the topic of artificial sweeteners is a hot one and there are lots of opinions :)

PS As far as it affecting your PCOS --- that would be unlikely in small amounts.
    I had PCOS for years (undiagnosed) and when I finally ate myself into type II diabetes,t hat's when I started watching the sugar and trying to eat high protein/low carb -- which also translates into lower sugar.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My weight loss dr. doesnot want me using artificial sugars. Sugar in moderation or light brown sugar is fine with him.
    BTW I have PCOS and insulin resistance.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    My weight loss dr. doesnot want me using artificial sugars. Sugar in moderation or light brown sugar is fine with him.

I've heard a few ladies tell me the same thing, that their docs don't want them using artificial sugars.

I guess I will stick with my regular sugar since I only use very little in the mornings. Thanks!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

I've heard a few ladies tell me the same thing, that their docs don't want them using artificial sugars.

I guess I will stick with my regular sugar since I only use very little in the mornings. Thanks!

Agave is not artificial sweetener... and I'd be willing to bet they'd be ok with stevia too.
    I honestly can't remember the last time I used or bought real sugar -- it doesn't even taste sweet to me anymore! I'd have to toss in half a cup lol
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I stopped adding sugar to everything actually. It's a double edged sword between real sugar and other sweeteners. Canadians will understand the old Tim Horton's "Double Double" term. 2 spoons of sugar in my coffee and 2 cream!! Now it's no sugar and 1 shot of 2% milk.
    The less sugar consumed the better. I have PCOS with IR and now Gestational Diabetes. No fun!!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Agave is not artificial sweetener... and I'd be willing to bet they'd be ok with stevia too.
    I honestly can't remember the last time I used or bought real sugar -- it doesn't even taste sweet to me anymore! I'd have to toss in half a cup lol

Except agave has more fructose in it that high-fructose corn syrup....I'd do raw sugar or honey before agave.

The sugar in coffee is so minute that really, it shouldn't matter too much if that's the only source of it you get.

Honestly though, I was in the same boat where the only sugar I ate was from my coffee. I thought I needed it to drink coffee. I decided to go a week drinking it without sugar and now I'm fine to not put sugar in it.

There's an adjustment period, but it's quite good without the sugar now (except for flavored coffee, I find you almost need sugar in there to get any of the taste)
  • Choirgirl37
    Options
    I agree with Fufonzo about the honey. I have raw honey and whenever I get a taste for something sweet, usually a quarter to half teaspoon is all I need. I just eat it off the spoon :-) because that would not be enough to sweeten my coffee.

I take my hot tea naturally -no sweeteners (Yah me)

I tried my coffee black and, again he is right. The premium freshly ground beans are much more tolerable without sugar.

I have not removed all of the artificial sugar from my diet, I get some of it from the protein bars that I occassionally enjoy and I get some in the sugar free flavored coffee creamers that I enjoy. I'm still working on that area.

I have heard good things about agave, but it does look like a syrup so I too have my reservations. I've yet to do any research on it.

You should go on Amazon.com there is a ton of books on pcos and nutrition.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    You are right. The sugar I put in my coffee is very little. Will give it a shot tomorrow to drink it WITHOUT sugar. I am sure I can do it. Its just a matter of doing it...lol... Thanks!!!

As for the PCOS. My sis-in-law has had it for over 25 yrs and her doctor told her that Artificial sweetners are the worst thing you can do when you have PCOS. She went into details, etc. I don't want to do anything to make this worst than what it is now. Its hard enough losing the weight and dealing with the other crazy things happening to my body. I don't think I can handle one more. I will stay away from the artificial stuff and just do without the sugar!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Except agave has more fructose in it that high-fructose corn syrup....I'd do raw sugar or honey before agave.

The sugar in coffee is so minute that really, it shouldn't matter too much if that's the only source of it you get.

Honestly though, I was in the same boat where the only sugar I ate was from my coffee. I thought I needed it to drink coffee. I decided to go a week drinking it without sugar and now I'm fine to not put sugar in it.

There's an adjustment period, but it's quite good without the sugar now (except for flavored coffee, I find you almost need sugar in there to get any of the taste)
  • toxicat
    Options
    Most things in large quantities aren't good for you- even fruits and vegetables.

Here is some good information:

Stevia and chemicals contained in stevia, including stevioside and rebaudioside A, are LIKELY SAFE when used as a sweetener in foods. Rebaudioside A has generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status in the U.S. for use as a sweetener for foods. Stevioside has been safely used in research in doses of up to 1500 mg per day for 2 years.

Some people who take stevia or stevioside can experience bloating or nausea. Other people have reported feelings of dizziness, muscle pain, and numbness.
    Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of stevia during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Stevia might cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants. This family includes ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many other plants.

Diabetes: Some developing research suggests that some of the chemicals contained in stevia might lower blood sugar levels and could interfere with blood sugar control. However, other research disagrees. If you have diabetes and take stevia or any of the sweeteners it contains, monitor your blood sugar closely and report your findings to your healthcare provider.

Low blood pressure: There is some evidence, though not conclusive, that some of the chemicals in stevia can lower blood pressure. There is a concern that these chemicals might cause blood pressure to drop too low in people who have low blood pressure. Get your healthcare provider’s advice before taking stevia or the sweeteners it contains, if you have low blood pressure.